Used 2013 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2013 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Lemon
By rbrion

2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My transmission issues have completely ruined my ownership experience. Nissan is in cahoots with the dealers to deny there are very serious issues with the CVT transmission. I am in the process of forcing Nissan to buy back this junk as they have done NOTHING to try to resolve this issue on their own. This is my second new Nissan in the past three years and it will definitely be my last.

Suggested Improvements

Quit denying there is a CVT transmission issue and do right by your customers and FIX the problems.

Not That Bad, All in All...
By terry35022

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I read some of the comments that were posted and for the life of me, I don't experience many of the same problems that some folks are complaining about. Yes, there are some quirks with any new re-design, but any real problems have been minimal, in my case. I purchased mine used with about 32,000 miles on it and it runs nearly flawless. The first thing I did was to install a K&N Filtercharger and throw away that nasty air filter that it came with. The results were instantaneous, to say the least. The pep was back and the car greeted the extra airflow like a cat on a hot tin roof. Like some have said, there is a shudder at low speeds in the transmission, but that is somewhat normal in a CVT.

Favorite Features

Very peppy for a 2.5 4 cyl. engine. While I liked my Frontier Crew Cab SL pickup, the gas mileage was killing me. The Altima is as roomy, but gets 38mpg hwy and I average 32 city. Not bad at all for a car this size. Very comfortable seats with power adjustments. The S model has lots of extras that would normally cost extra on other cars. The car seems to float down the road. On a smooth road, you might even fall asleep if you aren't careful. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to take this car cross country. The trunk is huge and can hold several large luggage bags and with the fold down rear seats, it can hold even more. You might even mistake this car for a Maxima if you didn't know better.

Suggested Improvements

The outside mirrors need to be larger. Vehicles can sneak up on you on the right side, if you aren't paying attention. You have to answer your phone, on the phone, instead of pushing a button on the steering wheel. A real negative, in my book. Nissan should have thought this thru better. Otherwise, the bluetooth system works great. Had the same problem on my Frontier. The auto door locks don't release all the time when putting it into park. A small frustration. Nissan needs to smooth out the CVT at low speeds. Excessive noise and vibration from the CVT at speedup, but minimal. A better standard stereo with better sounding speakers should be standard equipment on a car like this.

34K and still great!
By svalent2

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Overall its a really great car, I've only needed regular maintenance. The pep is there when I need it especially when merging onto highways or zooming around idiots in the city that don't use their signals. I average about 29.5 with all city and about 33 mixed. Very comfortable and lots of storage space. I have experienced the "shutter/vibration" of the transmission, about 3 times since I've had the car (34k miles btw) at about 40 mph coasting for about a minute long. Its very distracting and doesn't feel too good during that minute but its so rare that it even happens that it doesn't bother me too much. If it happened all the time I could see why some would trade it.

Favorite Features

push to start, bluetooth, Zero-gravity seats (VERY comfortable), fuel economy, styling (other newer models are starting to all look the same inside), smooth and very quiet, barely feel bumps, smart key, auto headlights, storage space and roomy trunk, heat and ac have been excellent

Suggested Improvements

Better handling, can be a bit of chore on really windy days, rear air vents standard on all models

Glad we Leased
By brownhoback

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We got this vehicle a year ago on a lease. Loved the car. The heater display will not come on sometimes when you first turn it on, after about three miles down the road it turns on. We had to take it in and the dealership did the recall repair on the airbag, since then we have had to take the car in four more times because the no airbag light was coming on when there was someone in the passenger seat. Of course it didn't do either thing when we took it in (record it). A clip fell off the undercarriage. Now recently our keyless/remote system is not working properly. We've had to use the key to get in and then button start it (the screen said no key), turn off and turn on again to drive it.

Favorite Features

We do love to drive the car, it drives great. Isn't too sluggish on the mountain areas with it's 2.5. 31.2 mpg on an average in a rural area. The electric driver seat goes high enough for a short person to see over the hood of the car.

Suggested Improvements

I know Nissan will get their act together on the Altima and figure out the problems, they all seem to be either electrical problems or issues from plastic parts. I had a 83 Nissan Sentra Station Wagon for years and it had almost 300000 miles on it before issues. I do wish Nissan still had a Station Wagon version of the Sentra or Altima because some days we can't fit it all in the trunk.

Nice Car
By logdon17

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have been driving this car for 20K miles and have nothing but good things to say. The car is plenty fast, handles well, and is very comfortable. The controls are well laid out and very easy to use. I have had zero issues and have only needed to do oil changes and tire rotations. Gas mileage is pretty good for a rather large mid size car (around 30 in mixed highway and city). I would highly recommend without reserve.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, seats, handling, reliability, gas mileage, spacious.

Suggested Improvements

Make the trunk out of stronger metal. I parked under a tree with acorns falling down and the trunk deck has little dents all over it. Pretty flimsy.