Used 2013 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 228 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2013 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

The Nissan Nightmare !!!!!
By DON

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My 2013 Altima has multiple issues the engine vibrates the entire vehicle so there is no comfort , the car rumbles down the highway making a noise that makes you want to jump out of the moving car . I will never buy another Nissan product again it is the worst driving experience I ever had . My Nissan Nightmare !!!!!!!!!!

Amazing value in a mid-level sedan
By Louis P.

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a used 2013 from a Nissan dealer with 14K miles on it in October 2014 and now have 28k miles on it. I rarely buy new cars and research extensively before buying a used one. To explain my reasons for purchase, here's a little background. I'm 59 and retired with a spouse, no kids and no mortgage. I've been accused of being a tightwad, which is not altogether true, I am generous when I give my money away, but not when I spend it. I own a 10 year old Toyota Tundra (probably the best vehicle I've ever owned). I also had a 1988 Alfa Romero Quadrifoglio for around town driving that I spent more time under than in it. When the Tundra turned 100k miles, I decided I had to let the Alfa go and get something more reliable for road trips and save some miles on the truck (and gas $). I set my limit at $20k for a late model used car with low miles and started looking. And since this was going to be my road-trip car, I wanted great MPG. I quickly found out the premium models (Lexus, Acura, etc.) didn't meet my criteria. I test drove Sonatas, Accords & Civics (2 & 4 door), an Optima, Mazda 3 & 6, Ford Fusion, Volkswagen CC, and several Altimas. After our last buying experience at my local Honda dealer, I swore I would never buy another Honda or go back in there. But after driving a 2014 Accord coupe at another dealer, I was kicking myself- it was definitely my favorite but a little out of my set price range ($4k). The money really wasn't the issue, it's just that it's not worth the extra money I would end up spending, which would end up being a difference of $7k. The same was true of the Altima coupes but not as great a difference in price, but still more than the sedan- and the selection wasn't as good. The Optima was nice, but after a weekend test drive, the MPG was not what I expected. As luck would have it, I sold my Alfa the day I listed it and found a great deal on an internet ad in Charleston for a 2013 Altima the same day. I drove up the next day, test drove it, paid for it, and they delivered it (125 miles) the next day.
The review: I was apprehensive before my purchase. Consumer Reports had the 2013 Altima on their used car 'Do Not Purchase' list and a lot of reviews had me leery of the CVT. While reviews are helpful, negative feedback tends to surface faster and more frequently, and I understand why- there is not a manufacturer that hasn't produced lemons. I look for constructive consumer reviewers that are not pi$$ed when they write them. The professional reviews are not much better, they tend to favor instant gratification like performance and excitement over longevity or real-life, day-to-day ownership, that's their job. But I doubt they ever had to stick out their thumb and bum a ride when that Jaguar broke down on the test track! I hate to inform them, but the ho-hum cars they knock around define the bell curve of all purchases. But even Edmund's rates this car a C, what was I thinking?
Fast forward about 18 months and I can't say enough good things about this car. I have the SL package and it has more options than cars costing $5k more. The MPG is excellent, although the computer variation can be up to 2 mpg off my calculations when I fill up. Regardless, I average 33-35 mpg around town (where I average about 25-35 mph). I have exceeded 40 mpg on the highway but over 70 mph it's around 38 mpg. The car is quiet, the ride very smooth, and I don't have a problem with the CVT or the way it doesn't shift! It may bog down and whine for others, but apparently this baby built for my snail-like reflexes and acceleration. Which may explain my mpg this last 14k miles. The entertainment system works flawlessly, normally the first thing I do is yank out the factory radio and replace it along with the speakers. It lacks a bit on the bass but sounds good enough where I didn't feel the need to replace it. And it sounds even better using a thumb-drive plugged into the USB port. The Bluetooth links quickly, works great on calls and streaming, and I love the text access via voice command. I only have one complaint here, it would be nice if you could send a voice-to-text message instead of just the pre-programmed text messages. The info screen between the gauges is handy but can distracting. At least Nissan got it right by putting the actual psi for each tire on the display, and it's accurate. I wish Honda would take note of this. The headlights are spectacular, much brighter than the Silverstar Ultras in my truck. The interior is comfortable, plenty of back-seat space. The driver's seat is comfortable enough around town but fatigues you on long drives. My only real gripe is the piano-gloss finish on dash/console. It scratches easily and shows smudges. The trunk is huge but I needed to add a LED panel in place of the bulb. And the plastic bag hangers that flip out are useless, too low. I could go on but apparently space is limited here. Overall, I'm highly satisfied and haven't had one problem.

you know the story, bad transmission!!!
By Manuel Espinoza

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my car in June 2013 and went on trip immediately after. It did really good and I was impressed, I also owned a 1999 Altima (manual trans) and it went 370K miles on the original engine and transmission. This 2013 had to have the transmission replaced at 34K miles and the new transmission at 45K behaves pretty much the same as the previous transmission. Whether the problem is the alternator or the transmission, Nissan should stand behind their product and correct the issues at n o expense to the customer. A Nissan mechanic told me that since Renault bought Nissan the quality has been diminishing on their products and it shows not sign of getting better. I am in the process of getting rid of my Altima and getting an Accord with manual transmission. I will never buy Nissan again, not because of the transmission, but for their lack of care in solving a known issue to them.

Love this car
By Kim Harper

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

So far I love owning this car. I plan on having leather installed on the seats.

Worst car ever
By gary spivack

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Broken down 3 times within 65,000 miles. 2 transmissions. Air conditioning , leaking shocks, door handle broke, two recalls. Very nice service managers but worst car I have ever had in 52 years of driving