Used 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 S Sedan Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Check Consumer Reports before Buying!
By Disappointed

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchase a "certified used" 2013 Altima ten months ago, without a warranty. Being a little old school teacher, I've only driven it 6,000 miles in that time. It has been in the shop five separate times for repairs: Alternator replacement, serpentine belt replacement, radiator replaced, A/C condensor just went out, and two vehicle recalls. Being the former owner of a 2008 Altima, which did not have a single problem, I placed my faith in the reliability of the product without checking Consumer Reports for the 2013 version. Check the report; the 2013-newer Altima's consumer rating are inferior to older versions. I absolutely love the style and comfort of this car, but it looks like Nissan has lost me as a customer with its poor dependability and expensive repairs.

excellent buyDependable quiet economical ride that
By george waller

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

excellent buyDependable quiet economical ride that is conomical, mixed driving of 33+mpg, 34 on straight interstate, really like cvt transmission.

Transmission Transmission Transmission
By Bill Carswell

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Read the reviews and do your research before considering the purchase of a 2013 Nissan Altima. Our CVT transmission was just replaced at 64K, 4k outside the warranty. There are numerous complaints all about the same issue! Shudder and juttering and then it just quits - torque converter locked up. Luckliy for us it happened while we were coming to a stop!

Stay clear of this car - it is going to cost you $3k-$4k some day for a transmission. Nissan needs to admit that Jatco (75% ownership by Nissan) has built another flawed CVT transmission and start the recall. They admitted this issue with 2003 -2010 CVT equipped cars.

If you have had an issue with your 2013 Altima, we all need to complain to the NHTSA and have our cases logged.

www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

My Third Nissan and Not My Last
By Justin

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned this car for one year, and I am still pleased with it. I traded in an SUV, so the Altima's driving dynamics were a large departure for me. Real world fuel economy is near/at EPA estimates. The interior is superbly ergonomic and has held up well for my 25,000 mile/year commute. I like the way it looks and materials/fit and finish are above average. Overall fit and finish (mainly exterior) seem just average, but are an improvement over my last vehicle. Earlier in the year I had standing water in the cabin; turns out water was coming in through two holes in the body, which were sealed and Nissan reimbursed me for the repair despite being out of warranty, as this was a major issue that was not from wear and tear. Other than this one issue, I have nothing but accolades for my Altima. I look forward to many more years of ownership.

Not That Bad, All in All...
By terry35022

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I read some of the comments that were posted and for the life of me, I don't experience many of the same problems that some folks are complaining about. Yes, there are some quirks with any new re-design, but any real problems have been minimal, in my case. I purchased mine used with about 32,000 miles on it and it runs nearly flawless. The first thing I did was to install a K&N Filtercharger and throw away that nasty air filter that it came with. The results were instantaneous, to say the least. The pep was back and the car greeted the extra airflow like a cat on a hot tin roof. Like some have said, there is a shudder at low speeds in the transmission, but that is somewhat normal in a CVT.

Very peppy for a 2.5 4 cyl. engine. While I liked my Frontier Crew Cab SL pickup, the gas mileage was killing me. The Altima is as roomy, but gets 38mpg hwy and I average 32 city. Not bad at all for a car this size. Very comfortable seats with power adjustments. The S model has lots of extras that would normally cost extra on other cars. The car seems to float down the road. On a smooth road, you might even fall asleep if you aren't careful. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to take this car cross country. The trunk is huge and can hold several large luggage bags and with the fold down rear seats, it can hold even more. You might even mistake this car for a Maxima if you didn't know better.

The outside mirrors need to be larger. Vehicles can sneak up on you on the right side, if you aren't paying attention. You have to answer your phone, on the phone, instead of pushing a button on the steering wheel. A real negative, in my book. Nissan should have thought this thru better. Otherwise, the bluetooth system works great. Had the same problem on my Frontier. The auto door locks don't release all the time when putting it into park. A small frustration. Nissan needs to smooth out the CVT at low speeds. Excessive noise and vibration from the CVT at speedup, but minimal. A better standard stereo with better sounding speakers should be standard equipment on a car like this.