2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2013 Altima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Sort Reviews by

Problem with CVT
By Jim DiRosa

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased the car in march of 2013. It is 2 years old, it has 66,000 miles & the dealer tells me it needs a new transmission. Nissan has refused to offer any financial assistance, because the car is 6000 miles out of warranty. I will never recommend Nissan to anybody. I definitely never purchase another Nissan!

Suggested Improvements

Fix their transmission problems.

Good value but lacks some quality
By egydarceyes

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Ive added the convenient package and so far I've put on 30k miles on it. The car is very nice on the inside, very adequate space and comfortable seats. Engine is a bit loud when moving from stand still, CVT is nice for gas mileage but is definitely a snooze at times, don't expect to be passing all cars when you really want to. Head unit is nice but the non-touch 5 inch is made out of bad glass that scratches very easily. Software embedded in the head unit is just plain crap... Needs refreshing and fixing of defects. Nice wheel button controls but wish they were designed a little more moderate. They just seem big and poorly designed.

Favorite Features

- Comfortable seats - Adequate leg room and trunk space - Dedicated remote inside the mirror - Nice user notifications between the speedometer (tire pressure, settings, MPG, etc...) - Nice tire pressure feature when the car out on the hazard signals and beeps when correct tire pressure is achieved

Suggested Improvements

Gas door lever is towards the bottom and isn't lit. Every time I re-fuel, I have to turn on a light to find out where it is. Very irrtating how they couldn't make it a lit button that is easy to get to Very slow, sluggish and buggy software in the head unit. Irritating when suddenly it locks and you must turn off the car and turn it back on to reset it. I've taken it to the dealership for software upgrades and no obvious improvements. Moon roof slider is cheap material and makes noise regularly if you're on a rough road if left closed Terrible tires Poor illumination from headlights Rear camera is quite dark during very sunny days and at night Almost unusable, needs a much better camera

After 50K miles I am happy
By aterces

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 11/12 (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchase the car on Oct 2012, and after 50,000 miles I can say that I am happy with my purchase, haven't had a single problem with the car and has been very reliable. I did have an issue with a weird noise coming from the engine I took it to the dealer and it was the alternator but it was replace free of charge since I was under warrantee no problems after that. The gas mileage is very good, I avg between 30-32 miles

Favorite Features

Blind Spot warning, leather seats, the whole interiors is very elegant on the SL, the Heat seats and the smart key.

Suggested Improvements

The back up camera for the 2013 are worthless on the night, I Hope the have improve it in the 2014 and 2015 models.

Lemon
By rbrion

2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My transmission issues have completely ruined my ownership experience. Nissan is in cahoots with the dealers to deny there are very serious issues with the CVT transmission. I am in the process of forcing Nissan to buy back this junk as they have done NOTHING to try to resolve this issue on their own. This is my second new Nissan in the past three years and it will definitely be my last.

Suggested Improvements

Quit denying there is a CVT transmission issue and do right by your customers and FIX the problems.

Not That Bad, All in All...
By terry35022

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I read some of the comments that were posted and for the life of me, I don't experience many of the same problems that some folks are complaining about. Yes, there are some quirks with any new re-design, but any real problems have been minimal, in my case. I purchased mine used with about 32,000 miles on it and it runs nearly flawless. The first thing I did was to install a K&N Filtercharger and throw away that nasty air filter that it came with. The results were instantaneous, to say the least. The pep was back and the car greeted the extra airflow like a cat on a hot tin roof. Like some have said, there is a shudder at low speeds in the transmission, but that is somewhat normal in a CVT.

Favorite Features

Very peppy for a 2.5 4 cyl. engine. While I liked my Frontier Crew Cab SL pickup, the gas mileage was killing me. The Altima is as roomy, but gets 38mpg hwy and I average 32 city. Not bad at all for a car this size. Very comfortable seats with power adjustments. The S model has lots of extras that would normally cost extra on other cars. The car seems to float down the road. On a smooth road, you might even fall asleep if you aren't careful. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to take this car cross country. The trunk is huge and can hold several large luggage bags and with the fold down rear seats, it can hold even more. You might even mistake this car for a Maxima if you didn't know better.

Suggested Improvements

The outside mirrors need to be larger. Vehicles can sneak up on you on the right side, if you aren't paying attention. You have to answer your phone, on the phone, instead of pushing a button on the steering wheel. A real negative, in my book. Nissan should have thought this thru better. Otherwise, the bluetooth system works great. Had the same problem on my Frontier. The auto door locks don't release all the time when putting it into park. A small frustration. Nissan needs to smooth out the CVT at low speeds. Excessive noise and vibration from the CVT at speedup, but minimal. A better standard stereo with better sounding speakers should be standard equipment on a car like this.

34K and still great!
By svalent2

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Overall its a really great car, I've only needed regular maintenance. The pep is there when I need it especially when merging onto highways or zooming around idiots in the city that don't use their signals. I average about 29.5 with all city and about 33 mixed. Very comfortable and lots of storage space. I have experienced the "shutter/vibration" of the transmission, about 3 times since I've had the car (34k miles btw) at about 40 mph coasting for about a minute long. Its very distracting and doesn't feel too good during that minute but its so rare that it even happens that it doesn't bother me too much. If it happened all the time I could see why some would trade it.

Favorite Features

push to start, bluetooth, Zero-gravity seats (VERY comfortable), fuel economy, styling (other newer models are starting to all look the same inside), smooth and very quiet, barely feel bumps, smart key, auto headlights, storage space and roomy trunk, heat and ac have been excellent

Suggested Improvements

Better handling, can be a bit of chore on really windy days, rear air vents standard on all models

Glad we Leased
By brownhoback

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We got this vehicle a year ago on a lease. Loved the car. The heater display will not come on sometimes when you first turn it on, after about three miles down the road it turns on. We had to take it in and the dealership did the recall repair on the airbag, since then we have had to take the car in four more times because the no airbag light was coming on when there was someone in the passenger seat. Of course it didn't do either thing when we took it in (record it). A clip fell off the undercarriage. Now recently our keyless/remote system is not working properly. We've had to use the key to get in and then button start it (the screen said no key), turn off and turn on again to drive it.

Favorite Features

We do love to drive the car, it drives great. Isn't too sluggish on the mountain areas with it's 2.5. 31.2 mpg on an average in a rural area. The electric driver seat goes high enough for a short person to see over the hood of the car.

Suggested Improvements

I know Nissan will get their act together on the Altima and figure out the problems, they all seem to be either electrical problems or issues from plastic parts. I had a 83 Nissan Sentra Station Wagon for years and it had almost 300000 miles on it before issues. I do wish Nissan still had a Station Wagon version of the Sentra or Altima because some days we can't fit it all in the trunk.

Nice Car
By logdon17

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have been driving this car for 20K miles and have nothing but good things to say. The car is plenty fast, handles well, and is very comfortable. The controls are well laid out and very easy to use. I have had zero issues and have only needed to do oil changes and tire rotations. Gas mileage is pretty good for a rather large mid size car (around 30 in mixed highway and city). I would highly recommend without reserve.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, seats, handling, reliability, gas mileage, spacious.

Suggested Improvements

Make the trunk out of stronger metal. I parked under a tree with acorns falling down and the trunk deck has little dents all over it. Pretty flimsy.

Transmission and Jerking and Cut off
By sallyryser

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 1 year and 2 months ago and I have 86,000 miles on it as of today. I took it to the dealership and told them what was happening and they said oh your not under warranty and the mechanic said it did not engage for him. So, with that being said I spoke to management to make them aware of the issue and I recorded what the problem was doing. They offered me a rental and a trade in value which would make my payments higher. They should fix the problem and make the customers happy.

Nothing But Problems
By junkcar3

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car based on Features it has to offer. After driving 5000 miles problem started. The break lights comes on randomly while driving. took it to dealership 3 time and they said nothing wrong. Car stopped on road with engine sign. They replaced part and after driving another 100 miles it stopped again. Dealer replace another part. Air conditioning stop working. they have to replace compressor. Side mirror came loose and was making rattling sound. They fixed that and after a month side mirror switch stop working. Navigation is also not refreshing while driving so they said they have to replace SD card. Complain to North America Nissan but they are not doing anything to replace this