only 24.6 mpg on highway so far
By jim_janet on
2012 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
We just bought our first new car in 40 years. We had not planed to but the 2010 Altima we bought on June 4th we trades back in 10 days later because you could hear the lifters, there was fuel in the oil and it was only getting 21 mpg. We were told this was a lemon not typical for an Altima and they gave us a good deal on a 2012. We wanted a car that would provide us with the best gas mileage possible so we choose an Altama. So far that is not what our new 2012 is doing. Maybe it takes time to break in. We have only had our 2012 since June 23.So far it is getting 24.6mpg on the highway and overall only22 mpg About 440 miles per 20 gal tank. We are not happy. We do like how it looks & handles.
Favorite Features
We wanted the 2012 because it has the auto headlights we are use to having them. We love the power drivers seat and the mag wheels are beautiful. The car has plenty of room in the trunk for my mothers wheelchair and for mom in the back seat.
Suggested Improvements
The car has four design flaws, one of which is a major safety hazard. 1st-The car can be turned off in drive gear and without being in park. I learned this when our car almost rolled into a pole. This is going to cause harm to someone or thing if it has not already.It is very dangerous! 2nd- the slant and size of the back windshield will fry your neck and we are having to have it darkened. 3rd- the coin holder does not hold American coins or anything else. 4th- The person with the car's key can be dropped off and the car can continue to run til turn off leaving the driver unable to restart the car and become stranded.
By rykoswa23
on 11/04/11 18:43 PM (PDT)

If your using 87 gasoline that's why your not getting good gas millage i have a 3.5 and all i use is 93 because anything else makes my car run stupid

By rykoswa23
on 11/04/11 18:44 PM (PDT)

and i get 32 miles on the hwy and 26.5 in the city

By gen3altimarust
on 11/18/11 23:52 PM (PST)

Buyer Beware: Search "Altima Rust" I filed a complaint with Nissan North America regarding rust damage on my 2005 Altima 3.5 SE w/67,000 mi. After being referred to my dealership for an investigation a rep with Nissan Regional Consumer Affairs says that unfortunately my warranty doesn't cover rust after 5 years. I asked if it's Nissan's position that I was negligent in maintaining my vehicle. How else would you explain a 6 y/o low-mileage car having extensive rust issues? Would they at least admit to partial responsibility and help with the cost of repairs? Everything on my car is still like new except premature rusting through the floorboards on both the driver's side and passenger side. I explained I've diligently maintained this vehicle with the hopes of it lasting for years based on the reputation of imported cars. It's been garaged during most inclement weather. I explained how shocked I was when I saw all the complaints, forums, and blogs regarding this issue. There seems to be a problem either with the material (Durasteel) or the manufacturing process of all the Gen 3 and 4 Altimas that allows water to infiltrate between the metal on the floorboards causing premature rust through. There are plastic plugs that become dislodged or are not installed correctly. Nissan will not stand behind their product and help with the repairs. Nissan has been required to extend the warranty on the rear subframe so they are aware of issue with the metals they're using. Regardless, I will never own another Nissan. Please check and if you're facing the same expensive repair, call Nissan Consumer Affairs @ 800-647-7261 and ask to file a complaint. They will be surprised and say "This is the first we've heard of this." Don't waste your time waiting for a reply. Immediately file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and NHTSA. Your Nisson rep will cheerfully give you the numbers.

By cauciousbuyer
on 10/17/12 13:40 PM (PDT)

Check the tire pressure! After I increased the pressure above 32 psi, I got an extra mpg from my Altima 2012.