2012 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Most dangerous vehicle on the road
By lindalebron on 06/09/14 18:13 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SR 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have had repeat visits to the dealer to address the problem of hesitation when accelerating, which I am told the service department cannot duplicate, and they cannot fix what they can't find. I have had my car for 26 months and hate driving it on the highways. When I travel to San Diego to visit grandchildren, I rent a vehicle. Am I the only Altima owner experiencing this problem? Now, the transmission is jerking when driving at low speeds. So, the vehicle is back at the dealer's shop once again. What a horrible Nissan product!

Very Surprised
By boysen on 03/05/14 23:12 PM (PST)

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SR 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my 3.5SR wit 24,000 miles on it and I am very happy with it. I have the fully loaded edition. Drives smooth, very comfortable, the leather is great quality and it has 270 hp so it is a blast to drive. I drove 210 miles and used 1/2 of a tank. I am 6-2 and have wide shoulders but i feel small in the car because it had tons of room up front and in back. My friend is taller than me and has plenty of leg room while sitting behind me. Its a sound car with no rattles or hollow sounds. Well built. I would recommend a altima to anyone.

Rust streams in the paint after 1-year - not covered under warranty??
By kkostelic on 06/03/13 14:45 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SR 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I love most of the car; however just after a year rust started streaming down the trunk lid just under the horizontal chrome piece above the license plate. Obvious this is resulted from either poor assembly, or poor workmanship. One would anticipate that this would be a warranty issue, however trips to the dealership, their body shop (that shared the same opinion as I), plus calling the 1-800-Nissan1, the answer was we don’t cover this. I've had 18 cars, and buy two vehicles every 3 years..this being my first Nissan. Nevertheless, I've never had paint issues such as this!! I won’t be buying Nissan again..not because of their vehicles, but their poor warranty .

2012 Altima 3.5 SR
By wikoli on 08/20/12 08:47 AM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SR 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Lucked out, got 6K off msrp on a fully loaded '12 3.5 SR incl. tech pkg. (nav). Was sitting on dealer's lot for 2 weeks with a "sold" sign, but deal fell through. Last '12 on their lot. Impressive initial quality, flawless fit and finish (silver) and interior quality. Kudos to the folks at the Smyrna, TN plant. Driver's seat not as good as '13 "NASA" seat, but is fine. Brakes not as good as wife's previous '10 CX-7 GT, but acceptable. V6 & CVT good match w/ good power. 26 mpg on first tank (hand calculated), not bad, better than the CX-7. Handling is great, steering is heavy on hwy. but tracks well and lightens up in low speed driving. This is a completely different car from the 2.5 models.

Want my 02 SE back
By wild8willy on 01/03/12 10:25 AM (PST)

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SR 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Had and 02SE that was totalled. Just replaced it with this car. CVT is horrible, sluggish and noisey. Bose radio is rotten compared to my 02. On the positive side, interior materials are great. Care feels heavey and bolated to drive. Steering is numb. Tailpipes are uneven and one stick out further than the other. Trunk is crooked one side is rubbing the bumperskin. There are burrs around the lip of the wheel wells. There is a paint defect in the middle of the roof that looks like Nissan painted over a 2 inch worm. I can not wait to get rid of the car and it has a little over 300 miles on it.

Great car, but strange noise at 30 MPH
By nj_driver on 10/25/11 16:05 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SR 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I've driven 6K miles in my 2012 Altima 3.5. Overall, the car has good acceleration, and is very responsive. The only odd concern is that at 30 MPH (the first time I drive it each day), there is a clunk. It sounds like I ran over a rock and it hit the undercarriage. I returned to Nissan 2 times to have it checked, and was told that it is the ABS Actuator, and the sound is 'normal'. I find it hard to believe the engineers at Nissan would allow this. Check this if you test drive an Altima.

Surprised by quality issue
By nj_driver on 08/07/11 11:22 AM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SR 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I recently sold my 03 Maxima and bought the 2012 Altima 3.5. Good looking car on the inside and out. I've had the car for 3 weeks and have driven 1,050 miles. 2 issues: 1.)According to the MPG information in the dashboard, I'm only getting 25.6 miles per gallon. Since 70% of my miles have been on the highway, I'm surprised at the low mpg. (my 03 maxima got 32mpg on the highway). 2.) When you first drive the car, it makes a gridning noise when shifting (at about 30 MPH). It only happens during the initial driving. After you pass 30 MPH, the sound doesn't happen again...until you turn the car off, start it again, and drive. The car is currently at the dealer to identify the problem.

Love the 3.5 SR
By bill_in_sa on 08/05/11 07:40 AM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SR 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I recently traded in my 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S for the 2012 Altima Sedan 3.5 SR. Quite honestly I loved the coupe, it had every option except the navigation, but from an interior size point of view it was inconvenient. It was uncomfortable for adults to sit in the back. So I decided to look into the sedan and ended up purchasing the 3.5 SR with every option, including the navigation system. With a 270 HP engine, it has plenty of power for passing or merging on to the highway. It has a comfortable ride and very good handling and is spacious. The trunk space is huge (especially compared to the coupe). One thing that my 10 year old son pointed out is the interior is very quiet.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Nissan Altima Sedan in VA is:

$143 per month*