Used 2012 Nissan Altima 3.5 SR Sedan Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Give me back my Honda.
By Robert

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SR 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

If you're considering an Altima, specifically a V6 model, check out other offerings by Honda, Toyota, Chevy, Hyundai, Ford, or even Chrysler/Dodge. I bought my Altima certified pre-owned with 16000 miles on the clock. I enjoyed and loved the car since it had every feature and option available. Well at about 18000 miles when I brought it in to the dealership for numerous rattles while driving. Not too long after that, the car started to shudder when taking off after a stop, as well as hesitating. I took it back to the dealership where they said that the transmission was defective and had to be replaced, at 20000 miles. The car seemed to drive fine for a while but then, it started getting horrible gas mileage and hesitating again along with my brake light flashing and my traction control light illuminating. Took it back again at 22500, which they said my master cylinder was bad, brake booster was bad, and the car had a bad head gasket which was causing the coolant to leak into 2 cylinders causing them to misfire. Also, it had a bad motor mount and the exhaust had a leak. They replaced and repaired everything under warranty. Drove it until about 29000 miles and the replacement transmission started to shudder and hesitate again, as well as making a loud whining noise from 3000 rpm to redline. Took it back and the dealership said the replacement transmission had an internal failure again and needed to be replaced. Now for the pros of this ultra reliable crap mobile: the seats are comfortable, the ride is pretty smooth when it wants to be, and when the car isn't having any issues, the acceleration is great. Better than any car I've owned. But I'd gladly sacrifice some features this car has to go back to my trusty V6 Accord. Too bad it can't happen, since I'm upside down on this Altima.

I used to love nissannot anymore
By jennifer macklin

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SR 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have a four door 3.5 liter engine Nissan sedan. I was excited when I first got it because it had low mileage and it seem like a very dependable car. I had the car for a little less than 4 months and had to take it into the dealership because the lights were flickering and the Windows would not go up and down. the dealership said they could not find anything wrong with it and left it at that. A few months later again it was a sensor that went bad they had to replace that but the lights were still flickering and again they couldn't find anything wrong with it. we did this for over a year went to the dealership 4 times. I don't know if anybody else has experienced electrical issues with this type of vehicle but I highly recommend that you don't purchase. it is to the point now that I'm actually scared to drive it because it says no key on a constant basis after changing the batteries out I'm pretty much a regular basis. the doors won't lock even though there automatic lock doors and this makes me nervous with my children in the car and driving. so if anyone has young children and travels more than 15 miles this car is not for you.

Gas Bill is not believable
By Joe

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SR 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

It is impossible to believe but ill give it to you straight!
I filled to Full at Qt making sure Gas was 100 percent topped off to 20 gallons, Left QT drove 1.3 miles away and already burned about half a quarter tank of fuel.
60,000 Miles on car no issues at all!
This 3.5L Altima can guzzle gas 2 times faster than a V8 motor, This altima has amazing HP but not worth even enjoying cause it drinks gas like you cant believe.

The Interior is really nice, black dash and carpet, steering wheel has controls and hands free phone and high gloss black leather steering wheel,
It has navigation and bluetooth and bose system.. Really nice car although my biggest complaint is the front seats and how uncomfortable they are.
The back seats are very comfortable. this car has 9 cup holders and not sure why.
My wife has a 2.5s and it gets the complete opposite fuel economy. She gets like 40Mpg even close to 60mpg when on freeway best i ever seen!
2.5s best fuel economy i ever seen even than honda's
3.5 SR worst fuel economy i ever witnessed in my life seriously!!!!! How does these 2 altimas are so un-alike???
Makes no sense at all!

I will never buy a V6 again with name SR Altima on it!

Most Altimas Bumpers are always falling off i have noticed!
The inside was a great design and comfort is good just not cloth seats
outside is not stylish

Better than the 2.5s
By nismo1234

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SR 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Not saying a whole lot but This car is not fuel efficient and expensive to drive around town.

It cost 19 Gallons to fill up and you can spend a quarter tank just driving to wallmart and back!

Not sure about the math but i fill up twice a week
40 Gallons a week.

All Black Interior,Carpet and dash design. Orange Dash lights... ( Black and Orange ) 3.5L V6 270 hp @ 6000RPM CVT 17'' Rims Nice Body Shape and Curves/ Edges Round Nissan Iconic Tail lights Steering Wheel Style, Leather and Buttons. Mirror Turn Signals Push door button Cant lock keys in car Push to start -No steel shark tooth looking key Visor has lights on Mirror Electric Driver Seat Big Trunk lots of space Floor mats say Altima and has circle hook Big 19 Gallon Tank 8 Speakers system My Altima came with a emergency kit Poor Clear coat on paint

Gas bill is expensive This car needs better performance Braking system The Radio is standard and ugly. A Flat screen radio/Gps would be nice. Rear View mirror is not Push to Dim Tail Lights- Light bulbs are out dated... Go LED! Front Seats are not really Comfortable White Florence Cluster Rings- Yuk Go Orange i don't like the push to open lids and cup tray its tacky. The sound system is not quality for a 30k Vehicle

Most dangerous vehicle on the road
By lindalebron

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SR 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have had repeat visits to the dealer to address the problem of hesitation when accelerating, which I am told the service department cannot duplicate, and they cannot fix what they can't find.
I have had my car for 26 months and hate driving it on the highways.
When I travel to San Diego to visit grandchildren, I rent a vehicle.
Am I the only Altima owner experiencing this problem?
Now, the transmission is jerking when driving at low speeds.
So, the vehicle is back at the dealer's shop once again.
What a horrible Nissan product!