2012 Nissan Altima 2.5 S Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2012 Altima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Sort Reviews by

Car wont start
By solarwinds

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We leased this vehicle... Got a great deal.. But the car now wont start and has to be towed to dealer hopefully they fix it... The dealer we got the car from is very good and the service guys are very nice and helpful... NPN in nj rt 22. The car at high speed with weight in the back passengers is ver unstable. The car has a nice design and interior but over all its a cheap built... In the snow its undrivable and as good as rear wheel drive. MPG is ok but not great. Seats are very comfortable and the dash is nice. The push button start has recently failed and the car will have to be towed...

Favorite Features

Seats, Styling, dash... We got a 2013 Subaru Legacy Limited... The interior toys are not as modern as the Altima. But it definitely out performs then the Nissan. Handling is great, power is smooth,, MPG consistent 28 mixed up to 33 - 34 hwy. The AWD is incredible and the car feels solid... In NJ 2014 winter it was flawless blast through snow and take the potholes great...

Suggested Improvements

Make the car feel safer and put some metal on it... I dont feel safe in this tin feel like car.

A Family sedan car for REAL
By doppel_110

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We love our Altima, everybody drives it cause its give good MPG. I fillup and takes me everywhere, farther places and still last a week. I'm a truck guy so I use to seeing the fuel gauge needle move daily but on this Altima it takes awhile. When I dirve I average 28-30 mpg combine with 40 city and 60 hwy. The cabin is roomy specially the backseats. I never seen a roomy back seats car like the Altima. The trunk is massive can probably fit 2 full size adults with some space to spare. Love the suspension not noisy and handles very well. I can park easily and maneuver around corners, remember I'm a pickup truck guy so driving this car is mere child play.

Favorite Features

I love its huge fuel tank, 20 gallons which range 540 miles! Like the sporting look even though is a family sedan

Suggested Improvements

Ground clearance is probably the only thing I dislike. That's because I use to pickup trucks and still drive the Altima like one. It hit the ground when going uphill or downhill. Thats on me since I gotta get use to it. Other than that no problems at all.

Good in concept, mediocre in execution
By ssbrookhaven65

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The Altima 2.5S is, in my opinion and experience, not worth the price. You can purchase much more for your money by purchasing an Accord, Fusion, or a Mazda 6. I had purchased the Altima brand new for 24,500. For a few grand more, I could've had a fully loaded Accord Coupe with blue tooth, navigation, and a rear back-up camera. My Altima has no premium options that are available on cars even a few years older than it (such as my former 2007 Honda Accord EX-L). The 2.5S produces adequate torque for normal acceleration. I have timed my Altima from 0-60 in the 7.2-8.1 range on various occasions. My gas mileage figures do not come close to the quoted EPA estimates. I only average 21 MGP overall.

Favorite Features

The seats are comfortable and the dashboard and radio controls are neatly organized in a simplistic manner. The car handles well, making for a slightly amusing commute on curvy roads. Stopping power is good.

Suggested Improvements

The interior is greatly outdated. My old 2007 Honda Accord EX-L had a much more "modernized" interior. Gas mileage is poor, in which I achieve 21 MPG overall. This is worse than many V-6 powered cars with far more powerful engines. The cabin is dark and uninviting after the hype of owning "the sportier midsize sedan" wears off. Overall, there are cars that are less engaging and are of poorer quality than the Altima. However, there are also many more alternatives that stand apart from mediocrity. The Altima 2.5S is disappointingly mediocre. I regret impulsively buying the Altima 2.5. The Altima is an adequate car, but it is no where worth the price that I paid for it. Look elsewhere.

2012 Nissan Altima 2.5S - 57,000+ miles
By whf1957

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my car used from a rental car company in November 2012. It had about 32,000 miles on it. They did a great job of making it seem new. I have 57,500+ miles on the car now and besides replacing the tires and having the oil changed, no issues to report. I have averaged about 28.5 mpg between city/hwy driving. I did make a trip to Omaha, NE in May 2013 and when I filled up I had just over 34 mpg (hand calculated with a calculator 3 times). I was driving about 72 mph with the a/c on. The MPG listed on the dash board has never been accurate. Just because I am old school I do get the oil changed every 5000 miles instead of the 7500 recommended by Nissan.

Favorite Features

I love the push button entry and start. I never have to take the key fob out of my pocket. The CVT has never been an issue and with the new tires, even smoother and quieter. There is plenty of leg and head room for both front passengers and the room in the rear is even larger than my 2000 Buick LeSabre I traded in. We chose this car over a 2012 Impala and Fusion. We have 2 grandkids that live near us and they have more room in the back and can't kick the front seats now. The instrument panel is easy to read and the gas mileage thus far has been excellent. I did not have any issues with light snow - it was a mile winter. I live in Illinois about 25 miles east of St. Louis, MO.

Suggested Improvements

I personally like the exterior of my car better than the 2013 model. I also like the lay-out of the center console better than the 2013 models. However, as far as tech items, I think you have "answered" those with the 2013 model.

My car go everywhere no matter what
By mexican86

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My Altima 2.5S is amazing. Good mileage I average 25-28 mpg combine and with a bigger 20 gallons fuel tank I can drive up to 450 miles before refueling. The car is responsive when I press down the gas pedal but it makes that drone noise which kind of bother me every once in a while. Huge roomy backseats good for 2 adult full size, not recommend for 3 in a long trip. Currently has 50k miles already, yea I drive a lot.

Favorite Features

I like the bigger gas tank of 20 gallons, and the AC blow cold during hottest temperature

Suggested Improvements

Needs a 6 speed manual transmission and get rid of that drone noise when accelerate

Very disappointing car
By boothill42

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The performance was lackluster. The 4-cylinder 2.5L had to be pushed hard to keep up with traffic, especially on the hills. The engine was noisy, too. Mileage was good when on flat terrain and when really taking it easy, but because the engine was so under-powered I only averaged 21 MPG. The seats had good bolsters, but the cushions were too hard to get comfortable, especially on long drives, and one slid on the seat under hard cornering. The cloth material was nice and did not get too hot or too cold. The head restraints are horrible and put the neck at an uncomfortable angle. The handling was good, but the ride was too harsh to make it a comfortable car for the family.

Favorite Features

Large trunk. Good A/C. Nice cloth. Average interior design. Inexpensive tires to replace. Decent visibility out. iPod plug in.

Suggested Improvements

Car needs improved seats, smoother ride, quieter interior, better gas mileage in the real world, more power, something other than me-too exterior design... it really just needs a whole new car.

Paint Defects
By skreamz

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

bought a certified used 2012 Nissan Altimawith only 7.000 miles from Montrose Nissan in Hermitage, Pennsylvania in Sept 2012. I noticed in March 2013 that my trunk lid on my car had defects in the clear coat. After closer examination They were real small specs in the clear coat that were starting to peel. Several trips to the dealership and endless phone calls to Nissan Consumer Affairs and still no result. The service department at this dealership is very slow when it comes to this issue. Nissan has very very poor service when it comes to warranty issues. Save your money and go buy either a Honda or a Toyota. This is the last time I ever buy a Nissan. Nissan you blew it.

Favorite Features

Easy on gas.

Suggested Improvements

Brighter headlights. More horsepower.

Dim Headlights
By tsgttony

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have bought this car back in September, I discovered that the headlights are quite dim. no where bright as my old 2009 Subaru. I returned to the dealer 2x in 2wks each time I was told there was nothing wrong. Complained to nissan headquarters they politely listened to my problem. I have offered to pay for a portion of the enhanced bulbs, but was told by the service manager that this model can not be upgraded. I considered purchasing brighter bulbs from Napa. Was told by Service manager that this would void the warranty, I am now awaiting a call from the GM, had I knowen how dim these lights were I would have never purchased this car, furthmore turn on the high beams is not much of an impro

7 times to the dealership to get 2 items repaired
By nissansucks12

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have had serveral new cars in my life time, but never a Nissan, thought I would give them a shot, bad bad bad bad move, a simple replacement of the 2 rear speakers turned into 5 trips to the dealership for one reason or another, simple tire rotation, left one of my lug nuts in the rim. These are simple items to repair or replace and it seems like this dealership can't get it right, but my car has only 5000 in 7 months, these items should not have been broken to begin with, horrible horrilbe car, buy a Ford, never had an issue with any of them, stay away from NISSAN! I also have 2 friends that work at the plant there, again stay away!!!!!

Favorite Features

Nothing

Suggested Improvements

Don't buy a Nissan

good bang for the buck
By dmihailescu

2012 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

responsive and fun to drive. The interior looks a little outdated nowadays. Easy to use controls. Good deal if you get the end of year rebates.

Favorite Features

keyless entry, drive, paddle shift stick

Suggested Improvements

needs folding mirrors, the turn signal sound is weak, the basic radio lacks sound quality.