The jury is still out
By tmagman1 on
2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
I read many reviews on this website, and saw where the Altima received really good ratings. I bought the basic model a few months ago. So far I can't say I'm impressed. If you need horsepower, you better keep looking. You won't find it with this car. And with the unique transmission that seems to gear down on take off, the car seems to have even less horsepower. If you need to step on the gas, get ready for a loud roar from the engine noise. It ain't pretty. Sounds like a darned airplane about to take off. I purchased the car brand new. You know the economics of buying a new car, so I'll lose my big time if I trade.
Favorite Features
Easy steering. Takes curves really well. A quiet ride until you decide to accelerate.
Suggested Improvements
I don't know how far the Altima has progressed over the years, but I can't believe the lack of horsepower. And I can't believe folks "love" this transmission. I swear it seems like this car is on its last leg when you hit the gas. I'm not trying to win a Nascar race, but geesh the hp is awful.
By jennib31210
on 09/17/11 00:40 AM (PDT)

You mentioned you purchased the base model; then, you complain about horsepower? The base model is a 4cyl... what do you really expect? If you were looking for more get-up-and-go, you should have went for the V6 model. I own the base model, and it's great for me. It's not going to be quick off the start, but once it gets going, it can really haul butt.

By jo1989
on 03/29/12 08:52 AM (PDT)

I owned a 4cylinder nissan altima! drive other 4 cylinder engines with no turbo and you'll love the altima! or if your still not satisfied, go buy a gas guzzling SUV :D