2010 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5L 4-cyl. CVT Automatic Consumer Reviews

2010 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

2010 Altima Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Rating
Built to a price
By wbed

2010 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I am getting increasingly worried about keeping this vehicle. At 74,000kms/50,000 miles I have incurred a repair bill of $2,400 for the replacement of the power steering pump and rack. It was conveniently just out of warranty. Never in an accident. The transmission reliability scares me as Nissan go out of their way to make it impossible to have anything fixed under warranty. Nissan has slipped down the JD Power survey to the high teens as they are building cheaper and cheaper cars. You now get the reliability of a domestic with the parts cost of a Japanese car. Worst of both worlds. Be prepared for negative equity as there's a flood of these on the market - resale is really low.

Favorite Features

It's blue.

Suggested Improvements

Buy a Hyundai or equivalent brand that is trying to build a reputation for reliability. Nissan is on the descendancy.

Reliable, roomy, & fun 4dr sedan
By jona57

2010 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After much research, I bought 10 Altima loaded with SL package. Well-balanced near-luxury sedan with these options. Smooth, quiet ride but also sharp handling (for family sedan) and fun to drive. After 4+ trouble-free years, my worst complaint (as for most midsize cars) is that front passenger seat is not height adjustable.

Favorite Features

Handling Fuel economy Quiet Smooth ride Versatile cargo capacity w/fold down seat Bose stereo

Suggested Improvements

FULLY adjustable front passenger's seat. More rear seat headroom for tall adults.

Beware of brakes!
By ireners

2010 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My daughter and I owned the same car. Both of them needed new rotors with under 20,000 miles even though pads were in great shape. $600 repair, not covered by warranty as brakes are considered a wear and tear item. Discussed issue with service mgr. and was told that this is a very common problem with Altimas. Buyer Beware! Traded mine in for a Honda. Would not buy another one. Nissan is aware of problem, but won't correct it.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign of braking system. Recall to repair brakes at Nissan's expense.

Dream Car.... or is it?
By radowns05

2010 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

When I was 16 I was forced to buy the ugliest car there ever could be. A 1997 Nissan Sentra which turned out to be the best car on Earth. Owning this car made my dream car a Nissan Altima. I figured if the Sentra was that good the Altima had to be even better. In 2012 I bought a 2010 Nissan Altima S. Over all it has been an "ok" car. I expected more, I guess. If you like the smell of rotten eggs and Nissan telling you that it is a "normal" smell when you accelerate; it is the way it cleans itself out, then this is the car for you! I feel that a car this new, and costs this much wouldn't smell everytime you accelerate to pass someone.

Favorite Features

My favorite features would have to be the body, color, my all over dream car; appearance wise. This car does handle well.

Suggested Improvements

Make the transmission fluid check-able by normal everyday people and not certified techinicans/mechanics. I like having a car that I can check all of the fluids in. The rotten egg smell that is apparently "normal" when accelerating. Please, stop making everything "factory parts only". Thanks!

Bad Engine and a lot of issues
By disappointed56

2010 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

End of July 2010 bought car with 32000 miles on it. 1st week of November car went into shop, 39000 miles now, my mechanic said top of the motor was bad & needs to be torn down to see what was wrong. Was under warranty so I took it to the dealer. The dealer started the car listened to it for 5 min & then told me the engine had oil sludge. Told them no way it had sludge. I called nissan consumer affairs. They paid for my rental & repairs. took the engine apart-no sludge-engine was bad. I needed a new longblock engine for the car. The new engine they ordered was cracked so they ordered another one. Bottom line it took 3 wks to get my car back. Hope this engine last longer then the last one.

Favorite Features

I bought my car used at the end of July 2010 with 32000 miles on it. I bought this car because I have heard nothing but good things about the altima. I fell in love with this car and was very happy with it at first. I even averaged between 34 and 42 mpg driving on the highway. However, After having to replace the longblock engine, issues with the message center, power windows don't want to work I don't like my car and will be getting rid of it before the after market warranty expires. I would trade it off now but I owe to much. I miss my Hyundai suv it may have cost me at the pump but it was better then lemon.

Suggested Improvements

Nissan needs to tell the dealers not to try and rip off the customers. I did not fall for it but others might have. Also, was confirmed my original engine came from the plant out of Mexico and was told by a Nissan tech at another location that 2 out of 5 of the engines that came from Mexico are bad on the 2010's. Also, the power windows should not go out, trans is loud and shifts hard, and the message center has issues. There is no reason this car should have this many issues at 40000 miles.

Commuter
By altimabb

2010 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have had my car since 6/24/11 and it had 100 miles on it at purchase. It now has aprox 23k due to the fact that I'm a highway commuter of aprox 100 miles/day. I have found this car to be very comfortable & convenient for my long drive. I live in Missouri so, I experience all types of weather and I must say the car does great in the snow, ice, rain, cools & heats fast, etc. When we had a lot of snow and also when we had ice this past winter I went into a parking lot & attempted to just see what she could take. It handled very well & the traction control did an awesome job at correcting itself. The bumps can be a little rough sometimes but overall I love it.

Favorite Features

Back up camera, XM Radio, Dual Climate Control, Bluetooth, etc

Suggested Improvements

Moon roof/Sunroof Controls had a rattle due to not a defect with not being attached enough to the roof if that makes sense but, this has been corrected. They said most likely due to shipping.

After 11 months ownership - Very Pleased
By digitalexplr

2010 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just got back after 2300 mile vacation to the Colorado Rockies. The Altima was terrific. Wife has back problems - no issues riding for that distance. Up and down the mountains was effortless. Mileage was outstanding averaging 34mpg for the whole trip. The CVT in mountain driving was pure pleasure. On a couple of really step grades I manually downshifted just for grins. The rest of the time the engine/transmission did a great job of keeping things under control. Even took the Altima on a couple of roads marked for 4wd. it did not complain. I think it's part mountain sheep! Very, very please with the Altima.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy. On part of our mountain trip we were registering 40mpg. Handling. It's part sports car. Performance. Passes anything I want to pass. Driver & passenger comfort very nice. Sound system is truly outstanding! We have the manually controlled climate control system, but it is very easy to adjust to comfort level.

Enjoy the car so far
By ajl7

2010 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I looked at a lot of car before choosing the Altima. All the big players (Camry,Accord,Fusion) the newcomers (Kizashi, new Optima). I also considered the new Ford Fiesta, Chevy Cruze, Mazda 3 and the Sentra.Also, I looked at Honda Insight and Prius. I was looking to lease a car for "cheap" (under 250/mo all costs included) and in the end, the Altima won out for a few reasons. Overall, it was the best all around car for the money I wanted to spend. (I write this in March 2011 for a 2010 car. My lease deal was through Nissan but through the local dealer because they had new 2010's to get rid of. Same car as the '11, but I got a "sign and drive" deal.)

Favorite Features

The Altima is a great driving car. Nissan has achieved a good balance of ride and handling especially compared to the Camry. Having had a recent (2006 Accord), it's about the same, but the brakes are better on the Altima. Our Accord was great, but the Altima is better so far. The CVT initially pushed Nissan off my list due to previous experience with the CVT in a Rogue a few years ago, but they have made many improvements since my last experience. It's one of the reasons I bought the car now. Also, Nissan makes it Intelligent Key standard on Altima. Very cool feature and it wasn't a deciding factor in buying the car, but I like having a "keyless" car.

Suggested Improvements

None so far, although I've only had the car a week. I'll update later. Rear vision is kind of limited for a sedan, I see why the uplevel cars have a rear camera. A little more could be done to eliminate some tire noise, but the levels are nowhere near what our Accord used to be like.

Awesome Vehicle!
By Roni

2010 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I just bought my new 2010 Altima. I had been driving a 2005 Sentra for the last 6 years. I wanted an upgrade and more safety for my 9 year old daughter. Altima has a 5 star rating for safety, lots of standard safety features. I love the Nissan line. The Altima is just a fabulous car. It's stylish, classy, has substance and handles like a dream. I would recommend this car to anyone. If you're shopping for a classy looking, safety packed, drives like a dream car, please GO TEST DRIVE ONE TODAY!

2010 Altima Brake Failure
By Miss-taken

2010 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought a 2010 Altima SL on 8-4-2010 and 6 weeks later it was in the shop for over a week for brake failure. Tech had no clue what was wrong. Had to call Nissan to diagnose. Turns out bad break booster in a brand new car! Everyone, including a mechanic says they wouldn't trust the car and I don't. This shouldn't have happened to a new car! Tried to trade, but the dealer I bought it from said it lost $6000.00 in equity in 3 months! Now I'm stuck paying on a car I'm terrified to drive. My bank feels horrible and approved me for a new loan, but because of the loss of equity, I can't get a new car to book and thats the requirement for the loan. Big price to pay for a driveway ornament.

Suggested Improvements

Inspect the brake system thoroughly before letting it off the assembly line.