Used 2010 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Beware of the CVT
By considerate128

2010 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this car used with 50k miles on it. After about 6 months I noticed a rattle sound from the transmission at low speeds @1,500 rpms. I did some research and it sounds like it's a common thing for their transmissions. I was very disappointed and the cost to repair looked to be steep. I knew there were mixed opinions about the transmission and I wanted to give it a chance. Last Saturday a truck rear ended me, totaling the car. It may be a blessing in disguise due to the transmission needing repair and I was able to go out and get something else. I will not buy another Nissan again if it uses the CVT technology.

Spacious, well built cabin Interior/exterior design Keyless entry Push button start

CVT is still very questionable technology

Built to a price
By wbed

2010 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I am getting increasingly worried about keeping this vehicle. At 74,000kms/50,000 miles I have incurred a repair bill of $2,400 for the replacement of the power steering pump and rack. It was conveniently just out of warranty. Never in an accident. The transmission reliability scares me as Nissan go out of their way to make it impossible to have anything fixed under warranty. Nissan has slipped down the JD Power survey to the high teens as they are building cheaper and cheaper cars. You now get the reliability of a domestic with the parts cost of a Japanese car. Worst of both worlds. Be prepared for negative equity as there's a flood of these on the market - resale is really low.

It's blue.

Buy a Hyundai or equivalent brand that is trying to build a reputation for reliability. Nissan is on the descendancy.

Reliable, roomy, & fun 4dr sedan
By jona57

2010 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After much research, I bought 10 Altima loaded with SL package. Well-balanced near-luxury sedan with these options. Smooth, quiet ride but also sharp handling (for family sedan) and fun to drive. After 4+ trouble-free years, my worst complaint (as for most midsize cars) is that front passenger seat is not height adjustable.

Handling Fuel economy Quiet Smooth ride Versatile cargo capacity w/fold down seat Bose stereo

FULLY adjustable front passenger's seat. More rear seat headroom for tall adults.

Beware of brakes!
By ireners

2010 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My daughter and I owned the same car. Both of them needed new rotors with under 20,000 miles even though pads were in great shape. $600 repair, not covered by warranty as brakes are considered a wear and tear item. Discussed issue with service mgr. and was told that this is a very common problem with Altimas. Buyer Beware! Traded mine in for a Honda. Would not buy another one. Nissan is aware of problem, but won't correct it.

Redesign of braking system. Recall to repair brakes at Nissan's expense.

Dream Car.... or is it?
By radowns05

2010 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

When I was 16 I was forced to buy the ugliest car there ever could be. A 1997 Nissan Sentra which turned out to be the best car on Earth. Owning this car made my dream car a Nissan Altima. I figured if the Sentra was that good the Altima had to be even better. In 2012 I bought a 2010 Nissan Altima S. Over all it has been an "ok" car. I expected more, I guess. If you like the smell of rotten eggs and Nissan telling you that it is a "normal" smell when you accelerate; it is the way it cleans itself out, then this is the car for you! I feel that a car this new, and costs this much wouldn't smell everytime you accelerate to pass someone.

My favorite features would have to be the body, color, my all over dream car; appearance wise. This car does handle well.

Make the transmission fluid check-able by normal everyday people and not certified techinicans/mechanics. I like having a car that I can check all of the fluids in. The rotten egg smell that is apparently "normal" when accelerating. Please, stop making everything "factory parts only". Thanks!