Used 2009 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Big regrets
By olddad

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I was drawn to this car by the body style, the overall appearance, and the smoothness of the CVT. I have owned it for about 17 months. I think the luster was gone fairly soon. The visibility is very poor in my opinion. Gas Mileage is just okay. I recently hit a deer on the freeway. I was going about 65 mph. I'm fortunate that neither myself or my passenger was injured. But the damage to the car amazing and the repair bill to my insurance company was $9000. I wish it were totaled so I could have returned to driving a Honda Accord. Overall, I think the car is poorly designed.

CVT

start over, poorly designed and cheesy appointments. Especially the interior

Enough Is Enough
By Had Enough

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Had the car for about six months with less than 3000 miles. Car refused to start. Took it to the dealer who told me there was nothing wrong. Same thing happened the following week. My garage guy told me it was the brake switch and is a common problem with Nissan and there may be a recall. Nissan service department either didn't know or refused to admit there was a problem. They also told me the battery was low which was ridiculous after such a short time. Agrees with what others have said about battery drain. They replaced the switch and the battery. I'm waiting to see what happens now. Bottom line is stay away. The electronic ignition stinks and the car's electronics drain the battery.

Recall the model and fix the brake switch. Install a heavier duty battery if possible. I'll never buy another Nissan.

2009 Altima 2.5L SL
By Bugeye

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is the 5th Nissan (3 Sentras, 2 Altimas)that I have purchased. The 2009 Altima is a fun car to drive that looks great. Interior is roomy with plenty of leg room for 4 adults. Seats are comfortable. Standard sound system is adequate for an adult. The 2.5L performance is ok for the daily commute. Fuel mileage is great averaging 30 mpg driving 65 mph. CVT takes some getting used to but is generally smooth. Ride, braking, and handling are very good. As for value, you get a lot car for the price. Only complaint: It took me a while to figure out that carrying my remote in my pocket could accidently open the front windows. It would be nice to be able to disable this feature on the remote.

Push button ignition, keyless remote, CVT, leather seats, and CD/radio sound

Larger (wider) tires and wheels for the SL models, standard fog lights, folding mirrors.

Just what I wanted
By Dianaraven

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I gave up my hand-me-down 1996 Maxima and bought a 2009 Altima, with the leather and Bluetooth. It handles amazingly well and is very comfortable. I look forward to driving it every day. The CVT is smooth and the engine has a lot of power compared to some other 4cyl cars. The keyless entry and push button start is great for those women who have to usually dig for their keys. The interior is spacious and well organized. I love this car and am so glad I purchased it.

Keyless entry, never locking my keys in the car again, Bluetooth built in. And ladies (you may appreciate this), in the first-aid kit that you can purchase with the car, they have put an emergency maxi-pad. May be trivial, but you will understand.

Self cleaning mode please (just kidding).

Fun but Laggy
By K Douglas

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought the Car Aug. 2009. noticed the CVT did not accelerate when making turns. It lags and can be scary if you need the power and it's not there. I've read the other reviews and noticed that Nissan says it's designed that way. When you step on the gas pedal you expect it to go, not with the Nissan Altima.

Push button start, Bose system, 6 disk cd changer, key fob, gas mileage. Drove to Montreal and back to Toronto on one tank of gas

Driver seat is uncomfortable, driver seat should lift back further. Rain enters cabin when window is slightly open.