Used 2009 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Most Helpful|
Enough Is Enough
By Had Enough

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Had the car for about six months with less than 3000 miles. Car refused to start. Took it to the dealer who told me there was nothing wrong. Same thing happened the following week. My garage guy told me it was the brake switch and is a common problem with Nissan and there may be a recall. Nissan service department either didn't know or refused to admit there was a problem. They also told me the battery was low which was ridiculous after such a short time. Agrees with what others have said about battery drain. They replaced the switch and the battery. I'm waiting to see what happens now. Bottom line is stay away. The electronic ignition stinks and the car's electronics drain the battery.

Suggested Improvements

Recall the model and fix the brake switch. Install a heavier duty battery if possible. I'll never buy another Nissan.

crappy transmission
By mykegee723

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

when i got this car it was awesome. then all of a sudden going about 30 mph car would shake and my mileage decreased from combined city and highway 25 to 19 mph. i repeatedly took it in and nothing wrong was found. although dealership felt the shaking right away. they couldnt fix it. repeatedly took it in. all of a sudden a service bulliten came out that this is the way the car is supposed to drive. b s. i say. i contacted nissan usa and tried to reason with them. and they told me yea thats the way it is. i am a car audio installer for more than 8 yrs, and i have worked on many nissan altimas like mine. they all drove great.. obviously there is something wrong. i trade piece o crap in.

3 Major Failures within 50k miles
By jmayor88

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car used at 40k miles, history was good. I have driven it for 50k miles (so at 90k now). Since I have purchased it, there have been 3 major failures, and also a recall that turned out to be nothing. The first major failure was the exhaust manifold cracking and needing to be replaced. An exhaust manifold should never crack that early, and the exhaust shop told me he has seen a lot of Altimas with this problem. Second major problem was the Electronic Steering Column Lock. This failure caused me to be stranded, as the car would not start. As of two days ago the final major failure occurred. Dealer is saying it is a rod bearing! STAY AWAY - much better options out there.

Glad I bought it
By shelbydog9

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my 2009 Nissan Altima new. I was looking for a new car and went to a local car show, where they had many cars of the type I was looking for (sedans). I’m 6’5” tall, my first concern was whether I fit or not. Either not enough head room or not enough leg room eliminated 90% of the cars. Price range, basic features, comfort narrowed it down to this car. I chose the bigger engine for more control and better handling. I have almost 60,000 miles on it now and I still love the car. I did have a problem with the front windshield cracking within the first month; they replaced it without any problem. This car has been well worth my investment.

Favorite Features

I’m getting 20.5 miles per gallon (80% local, 20% highway), actually calculated from the first fill up I got. Head & leg room is great.

Suggested Improvements

I don't like the look of the new 2015 models as much as my (and similar) year.

6 years and still going strong
By barc2009

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

So I've had my 2.5-SL for 6yrs and 57,000 miles now ... haven't had a single issue with it beyond routine maintenance stuff. It's been a great car ... was very happy with this purchase.

Favorite Features

Great power, efficency, comfort and reliability for this segment.

Suggested Improvements

Wished I'd opted for the technology package originally, but otherwise ... all good.