Used 2009 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Hesitant Transmissiion Problems
By Ken Mader

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Have problems with acceleration. The drive is not smooth and there is hesitation when first giving gas of about 3-4 seconds before it gives me power. Nissan says that this is normal and that there is nothing wrong with the car. Nissan is aware of the problem because others have complained of the same problem, but Nissan is not willing to fix the problem or make the consumer happy. Shame on Nissan!

Body style is nice. I like the heated seats.

Nissan needs to make good on their vehicles by addressing the transmission problems that they are aware of. This is my third Nissan Altima and my last one!

Blindspots
By Alexandria, VA

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've had my car for almost 1 year. It's a good looking car. Drives well. I have not had any mechanical problems. The blind spots are bad - especially when turning.

Bluetooth, heated seats, overall design

New Car Nightmare
By JulieQ

2009 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Since owning this car the following has taken place - both tail lights had to be replaced, carpet replaced, door seal replaced, defective sunroof wind deflector replaced, sunroof drain clogged & caused excessive moisture damage, which resulted in having part of headliner glued back in place and interior musty smell, trunk seals not installed correctly which caused the trunk lid to rub grooves into the bumper, hood had to be adjusted to fix large gaps, console became loose driver's side window seals have gaps, sometimes car idles so loudly it sounds like a diesel. I could go on. In April of 2010, I contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs. Today, they called as said the problems are normal.

I love how it handles. It's a smooth ride. The gas mileage is incredible.

Automatic setting for passenger seat. Memory setting for driver seat. Fix the idle noise.

Big regrets
By olddad

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I was drawn to this car by the body style, the overall appearance, and the smoothness of the CVT. I have owned it for about 17 months. I think the luster was gone fairly soon. The visibility is very poor in my opinion. Gas Mileage is just okay. I recently hit a deer on the freeway. I was going about 65 mph. I'm fortunate that neither myself or my passenger was injured. But the damage to the car amazing and the repair bill to my insurance company was $9000. I wish it were totaled so I could have returned to driving a Honda Accord. Overall, I think the car is poorly designed.

CVT

start over, poorly designed and cheesy appointments. Especially the interior

Enough Is Enough
By Had Enough

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Had the car for about six months with less than 3000 miles. Car refused to start. Took it to the dealer who told me there was nothing wrong. Same thing happened the following week. My garage guy told me it was the brake switch and is a common problem with Nissan and there may be a recall. Nissan service department either didn't know or refused to admit there was a problem. They also told me the battery was low which was ridiculous after such a short time. Agrees with what others have said about battery drain. They replaced the switch and the battery. I'm waiting to see what happens now. Bottom line is stay away. The electronic ignition stinks and the car's electronics drain the battery.

Recall the model and fix the brake switch. Install a heavier duty battery if possible. I'll never buy another Nissan.