2009 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Fantastic Travel Car
By Don Douglas on 11/16/09 15:53 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We wanted a vehicle which offered comfort first and economy second for our retirement travels. Our 2009 Altima has exceeded expectations. It is as comfortable on the open road as our 2003 Tahoe and gets 32 mpg at and 5 mph above speed limits with AC on. Also pleasantly surprised with 29 mph around town. Has sufficient power to climb I70 from Denver into the Rockies with ease. Bought the Altima after extensive comparisons to the Camry, Accord and Hyundai Sonata. Altima won for riding comfort and power in the 4- cylinder group. Cannot be more pleased with our selection and would recommend this car to anyone.

Amazing
By Kendal Henry on 11/14/09 22:25 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The reason I purchased my Altima was because my wife wanted a bigger car. Owned a Honda Civic, which I loved great on gas. Just not roomy enough. I like the styling. Very roomy for my wife and my 2 daughters. The 4 cyl @ 175hp is amazing. Owned a Nissan Maxima before, so I know about Nissan performance. Enjoying every minute of it. Interior styling while not great is comfortable. Some slight exterior noise, a little noisy when accelerating.

Expensive Rattle Trap
By Big Mistake on 11/14/09 21:04 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

If you want to pay top dollar for a car that sounds like it is falling apart almost as soon as you drive it off of the lot then, by all means, buy a Nissan Altima. Dealing with Nissan's inept and rude service network is a free bonus. Otherwise you're much better off buying a Honda or a Toyota. The Altima is a really nice car that is hampered by bad engineering and shoddy workmanship. Purchased 7/09 and I've had to take it in for warranty service way too many times for a car that has only 7500 miles. The car's misc. annoying problems are too numerous to list here.

Fun, but room for improvement
By GMO on 11/09/09 17:38 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Fun car. Looks great. Issues: Super loud wind noise esp. with windows down and driving over 40mph. Steering is weird. Always aligning it. tends to pull too much to left. Found condensation in rear brake light already. Volume knob makes squeaky sounds sometimes. Don't like the seek control on steering wheel. why hold it down and have to wait. That isn't good. Brakes are jumpy and just not right. The CVT shifting is okay,but takes too long to shift and hangs in high rev too long. It is better when i do it manual and shift at the proper time. It is not smooth at all. it's fun to drive around town. Engine revs a bit too loud and wish the shifting was better. Mileage is good and it looks nice

Sorry in Reisterstown
By Sorry in Reisterstow on 11/02/09 22:24 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Great looking, handling, performance,but reliability and quality of build questionable. Purchased July 2009. As of October 23, 2009 had to return for leaking water into interior from moonroof and again for battery failure. What's next? Plan to trade-in for a Honda and take a lost. At least I won't need to worry about traveling any distance because of the possible next break down. Although the dealer repaired the cause of the leak, it refused to replace the wet padding unless an odor developed and only charged the completely dead battery.

Poor performance
By kim on 11/02/09 09:09 AM (PST)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Having problems with the CVT trans. Hesitates upon acceleration. Took it to the shop and said that is normal. Car is getting used to your driving. Tries to anticipate what you are going to do. Now I am having problems with the windows opening on their own only the 2 front ones. Has done it 3 times since I bought in June. Dealer cannot find anything wrong. Just have to live with it. NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!! But Nissan will fix it if the inside gets ruined by rain. I am not pleased. Sure they will argue that I left the windows down. At this point I will NEVER buy another Nissan. Very unhappy after all of the great reviews.

very comfortable
By Jerter on 10/21/09 17:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Love this car. Owned two crv before and really love them too. But loved the exterior look of the altima, love the CVT, Boise system, quietness while driving. Traded in a Chrysler as a clunker, got a great new carLove this car. Owned two crv before and really love them too. But loved the exterior look of the altima, love the CVT, Boise system, quietness while driving. Traded in a Chrysler as a clunker, got a great new car

goodlooking -bad driving
By santo on 10/13/09 22:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car because of it's looks. But was disappointed by the performance. The brakes are super sensitive and it jerks when braking and my back hurts every time. Poor visibility for a short person. Very bad on ice and slick roads. In real life look can be deceiving.

Great fun car but not perfect
By shreve on 10/13/09 19:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned my 2009 Altima for 7 months now. I love to drive it. It is such a fun good looking car. It drives and handles well, but it does have some exterior engine noise that could be looked into. Interior room needs a little expanding. They could have taken some of that trunk and given more leg room for backseat passengers.

Hesitation on Acceleration
By Gary Nadeau on 10/13/09 13:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

When accelerating the car hesitates significantly. This happens primarily in going from slower to faster speeds and around 2000rpm. Then when you give it a touch more gas, it takes off. It borders on being dangerous. I'm currently trying to get Nissan to recognize that there is an issue. I feel like I'm getting the run around.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Nissan Altima in VA is:

$127 per month*