2009 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Worst transmission, engine, and noise
By jb68902 on 11/20/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I don't actually own an Altima (thank God), however, a friend of mine has one and I honestly hate it more than any other midsized car sold in America. The car uses what I consider to be the worst transmission offered on any car, anywhere. That, combined with the engine, produces mediocre power, lazy throttle acceleration, and the absolute worst engine noise conceivable. Combine that with an EXTREMELY outdated exterior/interior, unbearable rear seats, a mediocre sound system, and a lack of joy, and you are left with what is quite possibly the worst midsized car sold today. Seriously, I hate that CVT transmission. The transmission takes what little power there is and reduces it to nothing.

Performance Without A Heavy Price Tag
By Ken Harris on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I recently traded in a 2009 Honda Accord EXL-4ycl because I was not satisfied with the braking and acceleration. After about 9k miles I started having problems with the rear brakes. I test the drove the Altima and was pleasantly suprised with the performance as compared to the Accord. The Altima has a silky smooth powertrain thanks to the CVT transmission. I prefer a more sporty type vehicle and did not have alot of money to spend. I purchased a used 09 that was in almost showroom condition for 16k. This is the vehicle to purchase if you are seeking performance in a 4 cyl.

Thin paint
By n25ks on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I very much enjoy driving this car. It rides smoothly and has punch when you hit the accelerator.

Dissatisfied Customer
By Dissatisfied Custome on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased 09 Altima last December. We haven't owned the car one yr and the engine began to knock like a diesel. Took car in for servicing by dealer and informed it needed a new engine. After much scrutiny by NISSAN, warranty covered the engine replacement. Had the car back for 2 days, engine wouldn't turn over. Radio, lights, windows would work, but car would not start. Replaced battery at my own expense, still happening. Just wishing we had the Chevy Trailblazer back, and rid of this nightmare.

Best of all the rest!
By Nissan Altima 2.5s on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Have been driving it for 17 months. I love the comfort. I get 31 miles per gallon combined city, highway. Best car I have ever owned and no problems with it so far.

Hesitant Transmissiion Problems
By Ken Mader on 08/13/10 12:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Have problems with acceleration. The drive is not smooth and there is hesitation when first giving gas of about 3-4 seconds before it gives me power. Nissan says that this is normal and that there is nothing wrong with the car. Nissan is aware of the problem because others have complained of the same problem, but Nissan is not willing to fix the problem or make the consumer happy. Shame on Nissan!

New Car Nightmare
By JulieQ on 08/06/10 18:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Since owning this car the following has taken place - both tail lights had to be replaced, carpet replaced, door seal replaced, defective sunroof wind deflector replaced, sunroof drain clogged & caused excessive moisture damage, which resulted in having part of headliner glued back in place and interior musty smell, trunk seals not installed correctly which caused the trunk lid to rub grooves into the bumper, hood had to be adjusted to fix large gaps, console became loose driver's side window seals have gaps, sometimes car idles so loudly it sounds like a diesel. I could go on. In April of 2010, I contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs. Today, they called as said the problems are normal.

Big regrets
By olddad on 08/04/10 12:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I was drawn to this car by the body style, the overall appearance, and the smoothness of the CVT. I have owned it for about 17 months. I think the luster was gone fairly soon. The visibility is very poor in my opinion. Gas Mileage is just okay. I recently hit a deer on the freeway. I was going about 65 mph. I'm fortunate that neither myself or my passenger was injured. But the damage to the car amazing and the repair bill to my insurance company was $9000. I wish it were totaled so I could have returned to driving a Honda Accord. Overall, I think the car is poorly designed.

Enough Is Enough
By Had Enough on 08/03/10 15:17 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Had the car for about six months with less than 3000 miles. Car refused to start. Took it to the dealer who told me there was nothing wrong. Same thing happened the following week. My garage guy told me it was the brake switch and is a common problem with Nissan and there may be a recall. Nissan service department either didn't know or refused to admit there was a problem. They also told me the battery was low which was ridiculous after such a short time. Agrees with what others have said about battery drain. They replaced the switch and the battery. I'm waiting to see what happens now. Bottom line is stay away. The electronic ignition stinks and the car's electronics drain the battery.

2009 Altima 2.5L SL
By Bugeye on 08/02/10 17:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is the 5th Nissan (3 Sentras, 2 Altimas)that I have purchased. The 2009 Altima is a fun car to drive that looks great. Interior is roomy with plenty of leg room for 4 adults. Seats are comfortable. Standard sound system is adequate for an adult. The 2.5L performance is ok for the daily commute. Fuel mileage is great averaging 30 mpg driving 65 mph. CVT takes some getting used to but is generally smooth. Ride, braking, and handling are very good. As for value, you get a lot car for the price. Only complaint: It took me a while to figure out that carrying my remote in my pocket could accidently open the front windows. It would be nice to be able to disable this feature on the remote.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Nissan Altima Sedan in VA is:

$127 per month*