Used 2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

crappy transmission
By mykegee723

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

when i got this car it was awesome. then all of a sudden going about 30 mph car would shake and my mileage decreased from combined city and highway 25 to 19 mph. i repeatedly took it in and nothing wrong was found. although dealership felt the shaking right away. they couldnt fix it. repeatedly took it in. all of a sudden a service bulliten came out that this is the way the car is supposed to drive. b s. i say. i contacted nissan usa and tried to reason with them. and they told me yea thats the way it is. i am a car audio installer for more than 8 yrs, and i have worked on many nissan altimas like mine. they all drove great.. obviously there is something wrong. i trade piece o crap in.

Thee Worst Nissan ever owned!!!!
By medinamv

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned about 9 brand new nissan 10 used ones. from 1979 till 2009 5/pick-ups /3-200sx 5-altimas (2 have 200k onthem) 3/240sx and yes even my toys 2001 Skyline/2001 silvia S15 bluetop (stationed in Japanand now in the states with daddy) plus 3 sentras. never any problems at all!BUT! my 09 Altima 2.5s is the biggest dissappointment ever/ engine replaced at 30k for Knocking/ wears tires on rear evry 20k but alignment shows it is fine. now tranny at 59k and engine noise is back. real loud in mornings like oil is not getting up to top end. I am going to trade in ASAP on A Hyundai or VW Passat asap! I have owned my last Nissan.

The handling of the car is very nice/the gas mileage is ok on the Hwy. it loses pwer with a/c on. shifting is sooo smooth (before I had tranny problem)

Find out WHY Engine sounds Like a Diesel when you step on Gas first thing in the morning AND WHY Tires are wearing on rear end ON THE insides. when you have 4 people onboard.

Dissatisfied Customer
By Dissatisfied Custome

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased 09 Altima last December. We haven't owned the car one yr and the engine began to knock like a diesel. Took car in for servicing by dealer and informed it needed a new engine. After much scrutiny by NISSAN, warranty covered the engine replacement. Had the car back for 2 days, engine wouldn't turn over. Radio, lights, windows would work, but car would not start. Replaced battery at my own expense, still happening. Just wishing we had the Chevy Trailblazer back, and rid of this nightmare.

None at this point.

A warranty is a warranty....please do not scrutinize consumers when the manufacturer has sold them a lemon!

Enough Is Enough
By Had Enough

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Had the car for about six months with less than 3000 miles. Car refused to start. Took it to the dealer who told me there was nothing wrong. Same thing happened the following week. My garage guy told me it was the brake switch and is a common problem with Nissan and there may be a recall. Nissan service department either didn't know or refused to admit there was a problem. They also told me the battery was low which was ridiculous after such a short time. Agrees with what others have said about battery drain. They replaced the switch and the battery. I'm waiting to see what happens now. Bottom line is stay away. The electronic ignition stinks and the car's electronics drain the battery.

Recall the model and fix the brake switch. Install a heavier duty battery if possible. I'll never buy another Nissan.

I felt it is for Older people 45+
By Sam Hourani

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

When i first bought it i was thrilled with the looks of the car especially the black (the best color on an Altima) and loved the Bluetooth system, start button and the intel. key system and so on. but thinking i got a sporty car every-time i see this car on the street i see a 45+ person driving it(with all due respect). now i reached 10,500 km and want to sell it for this reason mostly. i thought it was a sporty car but i was wrong.

intel. key system, start button, Bluetooth, Bose 6CD and sound....

stop the vibration noises in the car from the base of the stereo. and when i shut the car off, the radio shuts off also which is so annoying especially when i am listening to my favorite song.make it more sporty.