Used 2009 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Altimas are not reliable and Nissan does not support customers
By kathy90

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The air compressor clutch failed on my Altima with only 52,000 miles on it.The cost to repair it is $1000.00 and Nissan has refused to cover the cost of repair because they say that my car is "outside of its warranty parameters." Two reputable mechanics have informed me that it is unheard of for a car with such low mileage that has been impeccably maintained to have a air compression clutch failure.Nissan is not willing to look beyond the warranty parameters and see this as an ethical, good business, customer service issue.They are basically saying that even if the mechanics of the vehicle fall apart after the warranty period, Nissan will not stand by its vehicle.

3 Major Failures within 50k miles
By jmayor88

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car used at 40k miles, history was good. I have driven it for 50k miles (so at 90k now). Since I have purchased it, there have been 3 major failures, and also a recall that turned out to be nothing. The first major failure was the exhaust manifold cracking and needing to be replaced. An exhaust manifold should never crack that early, and the exhaust shop told me he has seen a lot of Altimas with this problem. Second major problem was the Electronic Steering Column Lock. This failure caused me to be stranded, as the car would not start. As of two days ago the final major failure occurred. Dealer is saying it is a rod bearing! STAY AWAY - much better options out there.

Bad transmission, bad brakes, noisy engine
By nick131

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Terrible transmission, brakes have to be changed every six months, worse car is snow... Do you want more reasons to stay away from this piece of junk called Altima? i got blue tooth and leather seats in my altima but who cares for these options when the car transmission failed on the first year of ownership... This car was the worse purchase i have ever made

bluetooth

everything else, transmission, traction control, engine, yes put a quitter and a better engine with enough horse power. This engine lacks performance.

Big mistake, transmission out at 23k miles
By nick131

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car after was told it is sporty to drive. It might be sporty for old folks. The engine is loud as a jet taking of every-time you accelerate. My main issue with the car is highway driving. After driving on highway for more than two hours and then you decide to get off an exit for gas or a quick break, the car won't move. It has done that to me every time i had come to a stop after highway driving. It is very dangerous because the car won't move at all while the gear is on D and gas pedal pressed all the way down to the floor. Dealer wants to replace transmission. The second thing is this car is the worse vehicle for winter driving, especially in snow.

Transmission, stability control, safety issues...

I can't believe the responses on here.
By kgordo26

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After reading several of the reviews, I'm pretty surprised. I've had mine for 2 yrs. I have 60k miles on it & have put nothing into it but oil changes & a set of snow tires. I agree with the review about poor handling in winter, but have not had a single problem since buying 2 front snow tires. Before badmouthing the car, check your tread. I also love the CVT. It is designed to be smoother & it is. As for engine noise, its a 4 cyl people, they're all louder. Also, I'm still on my first set of brakes all around with about 25% left. A lot of the complaints are differing preferences, not quality issues. Do research before you buy! Don't badmouth the quality bc you made a poor personal choice!

CVT Spacious backseat Trunk Space MP3 Fuel Economy Storage Design (Interior and Exterior)