Used 2009 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Fantastic Travel Car
By Don Douglas

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We wanted a vehicle which offered comfort first and economy second for our retirement travels. Our 2009 Altima has exceeded expectations. It is as comfortable on the open road as our 2003 Tahoe and gets 32 mpg at and 5 mph above speed limits with AC on. Also pleasantly surprised with 29 mph around town. Has sufficient power to climb I70 from Denver into the Rockies with ease. Bought the Altima after extensive comparisons to the Camry, Accord and Hyundai Sonata. Altima won for riding comfort and power in the 4- cylinder group. Cannot be more pleased with our selection and would recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

Style, riding comfort, economy. Get the sunroof - it makes a big difference.

Suggested Improvements

Can't find anything yet after 4 months and 7500 miles. Power is just enough. Might want to test drive the 6- cylinder.

Amazing
By Kendal Henry

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The reason I purchased my Altima was because my wife wanted a bigger car. Owned a Honda Civic, which I loved great on gas. Just not roomy enough. I like the styling. Very roomy for my wife and my 2 daughters. The 4 cyl @ 175hp is amazing. Owned a Nissan Maxima before, so I know about Nissan performance. Enjoying every minute of it. Interior styling while not great is comfortable. Some slight exterior noise, a little noisy when accelerating.

Favorite Features

Push Start, easy to read dash board dials. Good Stereo sound and quality. Nice acceleration, smooth steering handling.

Suggested Improvements

Side mirrors should fold in, also directional signals should be built in on side mirrors, and they should be heated. Looks cheap. Inside rear view mirror, should auto dim when bright lights reflect on it. These should be standard, given the price of the car. More color choices. Larger wheels.

Expensive Rattle Trap
By Big Mistake

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

If you want to pay top dollar for a car that sounds like it is falling apart almost as soon as you drive it off of the lot then, by all means, buy a Nissan Altima. Dealing with Nissan's inept and rude service network is a free bonus. Otherwise you're much better off buying a Honda or a Toyota. The Altima is a really nice car that is hampered by bad engineering and shoddy workmanship. Purchased 7/09 and I've had to take it in for warranty service way too many times for a car that has only 7500 miles. The car's misc. annoying problems are too numerous to list here.

Favorite Features

Engine. CVT provides excellent low-end torque. Handles great. Sharp styling.

Suggested Improvements

Fix interior squeaks and rattles, improve fit and finish tolerances, introduce some quality control measures...

Fun, but room for improvement
By GMO

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Fun car. Looks great. Issues: Super loud wind noise esp. with windows down and driving over 40mph. Steering is weird. Always aligning it. tends to pull too much to left. Found condensation in rear brake light already. Volume knob makes squeaky sounds sometimes. Don't like the seek control on steering wheel. why hold it down and have to wait. That isn't good. Brakes are jumpy and just not right. The CVT shifting is okay,but takes too long to shift and hangs in high rev too long. It is better when i do it manual and shift at the proper time. It is not smooth at all. it's fun to drive around town. Engine revs a bit too loud and wish the shifting was better. Mileage is good and it looks nice

Favorite Features

push button start. floor mats Bose radio

Suggested Improvements

fog lights should be standard. handling, steering needs improvement Shifting needs improvement. Noise reduction is necessary, why so noisy with windows down??? ridiculous. steering wheel controls need improvement. alarm keeps going off in my pocket. make that a hold down feature instead of trunk.

Poor performance
By kim

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Having problems with the CVT trans. Hesitates upon acceleration. Took it to the shop and said that is normal. Car is getting used to your driving. Tries to anticipate what you are going to do. Now I am having problems with the windows opening on their own only the 2 front ones. Has done it 3 times since I bought in June. Dealer cannot find anything wrong. Just have to live with it. NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!! But Nissan will fix it if the inside gets ruined by rain. I am not pleased. Sure they will argue that I left the windows down. At this point I will NEVER buy another Nissan. Very unhappy after all of the great reviews.

Favorite Features

The sound system. Very sporty.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the CVT transmission. Back seat could be larger.