Used 2009 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 135 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Very Satisfied
By TinMan

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I look forward to driving my Altima because of its feel, exterior looks, instrument display, and gas mileage. I drove a Honda Prelude si for 23 years, and planned to get another Honda or try a Hyundai Azera or Camry, but checked out the Altima and really liked it. This car has acceleration power (it's a rocket). I'm not one to race, but occasionally at a light on the freeway I drive back and forth to work on someone in the lane next to me gives me that look of "Let's do it." I have not lost yet, and I'm not really mashing the pedal to the the metal.

Push button ignition, CVT, and CD/radio sound (great bass).

Brakes are sensitive, but I'm adjusting to them the more I drive. Wind is loud when on the freeway and the driver's window is down. Water drips on my head and the inside of the trunk when the trunk is opened and any rain water/car wash water is still on the car. Power front seats would be great.

2009 Nissan Altima 4 door SL
By lissysmom02

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought brand new. I think that the overall appearance of the vehicle is sharp. I do however have some issues. The engine noise in the cabin is quite loud. I also have condensation in my rear brake lights and when addressed with the dealer, they told me that was normal. Had to have the rotors resurfaced already at 11,400 miles (I've had it less than a year.) The CVT transmission seems to lag and not shift fast enough. It also feels like it can't get out of its own way sometimes. My Mazda 3 was faster and way more fun! The Altima is nice but not really fun to drive and the steering is weird, I always feel like I am correcting it.

I love the push start and the little gadgets of convenience. I like the bells-and-whistle stuff. The heated leather seats are great in the winter. There is a good amount of room in the back seat and the trunk is good size.

steering and in-cabin noise improvements should be addressed. Cornering and handling could be better. Improvements to the CVT transmission so it compliments instead of being an issue of concern.

Push Start/Stop
By Chasler

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I drive a lot of freeway miles. This car is got the perfect balance of power, acceleration, comfort and fuel economy. CVT transmission works like a dream. Get 29.4 average mpg: 80% freeway cruising at 72mph; 20% varied driving about town. Negatives: 1) Tail pipe smells in the cabin initially. Whatever it was seemed to burn itself out after the first 8,000 miles. 2) Push Start/Stop button works great except...frustrated with the stop button instantly killing the sound system along with engine. Sound like a minor quibble but when I get to my destination sometimes I want to hear the rest of the song or talk radio topic without having to continue running the engine.

CVT Transmission, Push Start/Stop RF Intelligence (Key FOB must be somewhere within the cabin to start/stop engine; Key FOB must be outside car to lock/open doors)

1) A little more head room for taller drivers 2) De-link the Engine Stop button from the sound system. Suggest the following improvement: Push Once to kill engine; Push a second time to turn off sound system.

New Surprise
By G Peterson

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I own a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder that now has 125,000 miles. It is my baby that I love but since moving to SC from NJ I wanted a car with good mileage for our travels. While only owning the car for a few months I find it fun to drive, mileage is good and I love the way it handles. It is almost like a sports car. In two weeks it will be taken on a drive to Florida and I can't wait to get it on 95 where I can really see the mileage it gets. For a 4 cylinder its has great pick-up.

The way it handles is my favorite aspect of the altima. For a 4 cylinder it really moves.

Will let you know!

Good 4 Dr. Sedan Choice!
By ncgent

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Owned this car for just over 1 month, and I know I made the right choice. I had 23 choices: Accord, Camry or an Altima. I was looking at the 6 cyl. versions of these sedans. Nissan came through in quality of the interior over the Camry. The Honda had more road noise than the others. The Nissan was the most comfortable for me (6'1", 200#). The handling was superior in the Altima - it felt most in touch with the road. I thought I would not like the transmission, but I LOVE the CVT. No harsh shifting points. The CVT does make a noise when accelerate or shutting the engine down like a jet engine. The 10 year CVT warranty assured me it is ok. I do not hesitate to recommend it.

BOSE, Bluetooth, heated seats, CVT, power there when needed w/3.5 motor.

Add electric passenger seat.