Used 2009 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Good car but unstable in winter
By arilling1

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

As posted in separate message, my 2009 Altima has stability problems in winter and weighted conditions. Aside from this, it is rather decent car but the fear to drive in winter out-weighs any benefit. I would recommend not to buy due to safety concern.

Suggested Improvements

Make stable for winter conditions.

Nissan Sucks
By arifzaidi

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Let me just say that, one shall never buy Nissan. If you need your warrenty honored, you will have to spend more on your inspections and work around that Nissan will recommend before they agree to pay for it. I have Altima 2009 with bad transmission. Nissan support recommended 1800 worth of work around and it still has a problem and they are not honoring the warrenty. Nissan users, please lets get togather and sue Nissan. It shouldn't be selling these cars in USA because they are treating customers really bad.

Favorite Features

EVerything is bad now!

Suggested Improvements

Customer service, honor your words for warrenty instead of miling customers. You don't want to pay for warrenty until customer spends more on workarounds that you recommend. You have got to be ashamed of yourself.

Worst car ever owned
By hrl227

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought 2009 Altima brand new in Nov 2009. Engine extemly loud, the rear brakes are so loud. I only have 11,000 miles on it. The engine sounds like it is going to drop to the ground at any moment. The passenger chair makes a virbrating sound. Just an awful new car. I regret buying this piece of crap. I can't wait to go back to Honda.

Favorite Features

dark inside interior.

Suggested Improvements

Engine needs to be quieter.

CRAPPIEST Car I ever owned
By giorgos2

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought the 2009 Altima in March 2009. It is by far the CRAPPIEST car I ever owned (among 10+ cars). Extremely noisy cabin, gas-alcoholic, rides uncomfortably, issues with transmission, touchy brakes, cheaply-made interior, seals already weathered, very noisy while accelerating, etc, etc. ... and not to mention the much higher insurance-premiums Nissan owners have to pay for such a piece of crap. CVT is totally worthless - it truly subtracts any little value this vehicle has. The only positive attribute I can talk about is the style of the car, and outside shape/contours, which were quite a big factor in choosing it - I still think it has a great look (as most Nissans do).

Favorite Features

Outside shape/contour Interior style (but not quality)

Suggested Improvements

Will have to write a book. This car is so bad that there are no places to start making improvements.

2009 Altima Hybrid--disappointed
By msginny

2009 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I really wanted to like this car. Even though it wasn't originally sold in the Midwest where I live, I had a dealer get one for me back in 2010. Over the weekend, my car stranded me with the infamous steering column issue. I couldn't get it started in the Mall parking lot...no prior warning lights, etc. Upon trying to start it, the red "key" light came on. Today they fixed it under the "extended warranty" which should've been a recall. The dealer did tell me the parts aren't always in stock, and some customers had to wait a month for a part and repair. Bad job, Nissan. The romance is over, and I'm kicking you to the curb.

Favorite Features

Push button start Hybrid system (borrowed from Toyota Prius) Keyless entry Dual heating controls Traction control

Suggested Improvements

Better recall policy and correspondence with owners Better tires--this car handled poorly in snow with OEM tires Better trim options on Hybrids