2009 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
3 Major Failures within 50k miles
By jmayor88 on 04/15/13 10:13 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car used at 40k miles, history was good. I have driven it for 50k miles (so at 90k now). Since I have purchased it, there have been 3 major failures, and also a recall that turned out to be nothing. The first major failure was the exhaust manifold cracking and needing to be replaced. An exhaust manifold should never crack that early, and the exhaust shop told me he has seen a lot of Altimas with this problem. Second major problem was the Electronic Steering Column Lock. This failure caused me to be stranded, as the car would not start. As of two days ago the final major failure occurred. Dealer is saying it is a rod bearing! STAY AWAY - much better options out there.

Big mistake, transmission out at 23k miles
By nick131 on 10/08/12 17:24 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car after was told it is sporty to drive. It might be sporty for old folks. The engine is loud as a jet taking of every-time you accelerate. My main issue with the car is highway driving. After driving on highway for more than two hours and then you decide to get off an exit for gas or a quick break, the car won't move. It has done that to me every time i had come to a stop after highway driving. It is very dangerous because the car won't move at all while the gear is on D and gas pedal pressed all the way down to the floor. Dealer wants to replace transmission. The second thing is this car is the worse vehicle for winter driving, especially in snow.

BUGS!! BUGS!! BUGSS!!!
By evelynt1 on 04/22/12 15:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have had a pretty fair experice with my Nissan Altima but a major dissapointment in this car is that when there is a problem with the vehicle the dealership seems unavailbale to fix it. I live in a rural area where bugs are prominent and it seems that my car as well as others around mine are extremly suscepitable to bugs being into the tail lights. They are very unsightly and nearly immpossibe to get out. When i contacted the dealer they told me that if the problem was not water they were not responsible for fixing my inconvience. I went to the nissan service area to see what I could do about this and they informed me that I would have to pay $500 each for new tail lights.

disturbing horn/alarm
By george6464 on 12/29/11 04:32 AM (PST)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

the altima 2009 is okay but one major pain: the remote key set. the horn button is awkwardly place that whenever the keys are in my pocket, the pad will often touch pocket contents or plain body and sound the alarm when I don't need it. I have to hold it all the time. can the next key pad be modified to ensure the alarm part is lower than other keys and cannot accidentally be triggered.

crappy transmission
By mykegee723 on 10/30/11 00:53 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

when i got this car it was awesome. then all of a sudden going about 30 mph car would shake and my mileage decreased from combined city and highway 25 to 19 mph. i repeatedly took it in and nothing wrong was found. although dealership felt the shaking right away. they couldnt fix it. repeatedly took it in. all of a sudden a service bulliten came out that this is the way the car is supposed to drive. b s. i say. i contacted nissan usa and tried to reason with them. and they told me yea thats the way it is. i am a car audio installer for more than 8 yrs, and i have worked on many nissan altimas like mine. they all drove great.. obviously there is something wrong. i trade piece o crap in.

Thee Worst Nissan ever owned!!!!
By medinamv on 10/22/11 17:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned about 9 brand new nissan 10 used ones. from 1979 till 2009 5/pick-ups /3-200sx 5-altimas (2 have 200k onthem) 3/240sx and yes even my toys 2001 Skyline/2001 silvia S15 bluetop (stationed in Japanand now in the states with daddy) plus 3 sentras. never any problems at all!BUT! my 09 Altima 2.5s is the biggest dissappointment ever/ engine replaced at 30k for Knocking/ wears tires on rear evry 20k but alignment shows it is fine. now tranny at 59k and engine noise is back. real loud in mornings like oil is not getting up to top end. I am going to trade in ASAP on A Hyundai or VW Passat asap! I have owned my last Nissan.

Dissatisfied Customer
By Dissatisfied Custome on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased 09 Altima last December. We haven't owned the car one yr and the engine began to knock like a diesel. Took car in for servicing by dealer and informed it needed a new engine. After much scrutiny by NISSAN, warranty covered the engine replacement. Had the car back for 2 days, engine wouldn't turn over. Radio, lights, windows would work, but car would not start. Replaced battery at my own expense, still happening. Just wishing we had the Chevy Trailblazer back, and rid of this nightmare.

Enough Is Enough
By Had Enough on 08/03/10 15:17 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Had the car for about six months with less than 3000 miles. Car refused to start. Took it to the dealer who told me there was nothing wrong. Same thing happened the following week. My garage guy told me it was the brake switch and is a common problem with Nissan and there may be a recall. Nissan service department either didn't know or refused to admit there was a problem. They also told me the battery was low which was ridiculous after such a short time. Agrees with what others have said about battery drain. They replaced the switch and the battery. I'm waiting to see what happens now. Bottom line is stay away. The electronic ignition stinks and the car's electronics drain the battery.

I felt it is for Older people 45+
By Sam Hourani on 05/12/10 17:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

When i first bought it i was thrilled with the looks of the car especially the black (the best color on an Altima) and loved the Bluetooth system, start button and the intel. key system and so on. but thinking i got a sporty car every-time i see this car on the street i see a 45+ person driving it(with all due respect). now i reached 10,500 km and want to sell it for this reason mostly. i thought it was a sporty car but i was wrong.

Noisy below 50 degree
By nickwu on 04/28/10 19:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

It is the worst car I ever bought!. If below 50 degree, start the car and it will sound like motorcycle and no power. I have to drive it for 3-4 minutes than it quite down. Nissan says it designed like that and meet the specification. My 2004 150K mile Toyota is better than this car. Service is absolute the worst too, they told me to install a remote starter to warm the car so it would be less noisy. But Nissan USA told me it was wrong, and won't fix the noise issue, you need to drive it to make the lube "go through every places" . I lost $400 right their! They stated all Altima car like that. Battery died 4 month later. Already did three warranty services and two recalls. Last Nissan!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Nissan Altima in NJ is:

$217 per month*