2009 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
2009 Altima Hybrid--disappointed
By msginny on 01/20/14 10:17 AM (PST)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I really wanted to like this car. Even though it wasn't originally sold in the Midwest where I live, I had a dealer get one for me back in 2010. Over the weekend, my car stranded me with the infamous steering column issue. I couldn't get it started in the Mall parking lot...no prior warning lights, etc. Upon trying to start it, the red "key" light came on. Today they fixed it under the "extended warranty" which should've been a recall. The dealer did tell me the parts aren't always in stock, and some customers had to wait a month for a part and repair. Bad job, Nissan. The romance is over, and I'm kicking you to the curb.

I love my 09 Nissan Altima
By sgtkeebler on 01/18/14 22:55 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

very fun to drive around in, and my comfort level in this car is excellent!!! I added on 20% window tint and all the girls turn their heads to look at me. What can I say this car just feels right for me. My last car didn't feel right at all. The engine is very quiet, and it is a undercover powerhouse best 4cly engine I have ever had, even comes with dual exhaust. I don't understand all these bad reviews because I absolutely love the car and have had zero problems since I bought it (not to mention it was a rental before I got it). I got it at 33,668 miles for 14,147$$. I love this car if you are considering purchasing this car I would say this would be the most efficient car you can get.

Altimas are not reliable and Nissan does not support customers
By kathy90 on 09/03/13 12:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The air compressor clutch failed on my Altima with only 52,000 miles on it.The cost to repair it is $1000.00 and Nissan has refused to cover the cost of repair because they say that my car is "outside of its warranty parameters." Two reputable mechanics have informed me that it is unheard of for a car with such low mileage that has been impeccably maintained to have a air compression clutch failure.Nissan is not willing to look beyond the warranty parameters and see this as an ethical, good business, customer service issue.They are basically saying that even if the mechanics of the vehicle fall apart after the warranty period, Nissan will not stand by its vehicle.

3 Major Failures within 50k miles
By jmayor88 on 04/15/13 10:13 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car used at 40k miles, history was good. I have driven it for 50k miles (so at 90k now). Since I have purchased it, there have been 3 major failures, and also a recall that turned out to be nothing. The first major failure was the exhaust manifold cracking and needing to be replaced. An exhaust manifold should never crack that early, and the exhaust shop told me he has seen a lot of Altimas with this problem. Second major problem was the Electronic Steering Column Lock. This failure caused me to be stranded, as the car would not start. As of two days ago the final major failure occurred. Dealer is saying it is a rod bearing! STAY AWAY - much better options out there.

Bad transmission, bad brakes, noisy engine
By nick131 on 10/15/12 14:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Terrible transmission, brakes have to be changed every six months, worse car is snow... Do you want more reasons to stay away from this piece of junk called Altima? i got blue tooth and leather seats in my altima but who cares for these options when the car transmission failed on the first year of ownership... This car was the worse purchase i have ever made

Big mistake, transmission out at 23k miles
By nick131 on 10/08/12 17:24 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car after was told it is sporty to drive. It might be sporty for old folks. The engine is loud as a jet taking of every-time you accelerate. My main issue with the car is highway driving. After driving on highway for more than two hours and then you decide to get off an exit for gas or a quick break, the car won't move. It has done that to me every time i had come to a stop after highway driving. It is very dangerous because the car won't move at all while the gear is on D and gas pedal pressed all the way down to the floor. Dealer wants to replace transmission. The second thing is this car is the worse vehicle for winter driving, especially in snow.

I can't believe the responses on here.
By kgordo26 on 06/28/12 19:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After reading several of the reviews, I'm pretty surprised. I've had mine for 2 yrs. I have 60k miles on it & have put nothing into it but oil changes & a set of snow tires. I agree with the review about poor handling in winter, but have not had a single problem since buying 2 front snow tires. Before badmouthing the car, check your tread. I also love the CVT. It is designed to be smoother & it is. As for engine noise, its a 4 cyl people, they're all louder. Also, I'm still on my first set of brakes all around with about 25% left. A lot of the complaints are differing preferences, not quality issues. Do research before you buy! Don't badmouth the quality bc you made a poor personal choice!

Brakes, nuff said
By dannyry on 06/17/12 21:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I'm going on my 3rd set of brakes in 2 years. Front brakes I should say. I've owned various cars through my life, drive mostly highway miles, and regularly check my brake fluid. I can't say I recommend this or the refresh model based on this. It's getting a little costly to say the least. I've owned a prior altima to this and had no issues, and drove in the city at the time. If you search it, it's a common problem which has not been issued a recall, so I guess it's not as known or common as it needs to be for a recall. I can without a doubt say this is my last altima, and I will always wait 2-3 years after the refresh and do proper diligence prior to buying a car.

BUGS!! BUGS!! BUGSS!!!
By evelynt1 on 04/22/12 15:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have had a pretty fair experice with my Nissan Altima but a major dissapointment in this car is that when there is a problem with the vehicle the dealership seems unavailbale to fix it. I live in a rural area where bugs are prominent and it seems that my car as well as others around mine are extremly suscepitable to bugs being into the tail lights. They are very unsightly and nearly immpossibe to get out. When i contacted the dealer they told me that if the problem was not water they were not responsible for fixing my inconvience. I went to the nissan service area to see what I could do about this and they informed me that I would have to pay $500 each for new tail lights.

Good car but unstable in winter
By arilling1 on 03/16/12 15:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

As posted in separate message, my 2009 Altima has stability problems in winter and weighted conditions. Aside from this, it is rather decent car but the fear to drive in winter out-weighs any benefit. I would recommend not to buy due to safety concern.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Nissan Altima in VA is:

$126 per month*