Used 2008 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 257 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Nice car, but not comfortable
By ED

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Not a bad car but Nissan and the Japanese auto makers really need to add some padding to there seats of there cars, I had a honda civic and traded it due to the seats being too hard. Same goes with this Nissan. Also, the 4 cylinder is very course. Put it to the floor and get your ear plugs. Should have opted for the v-6. The trans will not shift if I put it to the floor. You have to let off the gas for it to shift. A CVT thing? Also had a problem with the drivers seat moving around, had it fixed and it still moves around.

Gas mileage, handling, ride.

SEATS! back breakers. Better less noisy 4 cylinder. Not sure about CVT.

Altima CVT Transmission Problems
By Oblique

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Ironically what attracted me to the Altima besides its styling was the CVT (Continuously Varible Transmission) which is a new style automatic with a belt inside instead of gears. It is smooth but not reliable or durable. After just 55,000 miles the transmission began to act up on warmer days especially in stop and go traffic. The dealer just said, "oh that can't happen. They reset the check engine light and charged me to replace the fluid (60K service) and the very next week it got worse, check engine light on all the time. They spent 5 hours telling me a new transmission would be covered under the extended warranty. I am trading this troubled CVT Altima in on a HONDA Accord! CYA, CVT!

Styling was my favorite thing.

Nissan should ditch the CVT and install a tried and true 4 or 5 speed auto-transmission to improve reliability. Too many CVTs have had problems requiring an extension of the transmission warranty.

Fantastic car for the money
By TON10ESR

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I leased my 2008 Nissan Altima 3 years ago and it still runs like a champ! I never had any major or minor problems with it besides a minor recall that the dealer took care of for me. It is a great car with push button start, CVT Automatic transmission that shifts great, and has a great ride. I just wish Nissan's options weren't so expensive, but otherwise it's a very well made car and I would recommend it to anyone:).

Push button start(no need for keys, just have them in your pocket) CVT transmission

more cost efficient options(sunroof, leather etc).

Nice look but poor build quality
By akabook

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My wife loves the look of the car and that's why we bought it. But the build quality of the car is not good: the car is light, the steel sheet feel cheap and thin. Our doors have already collected a lot of dents and dings. I am a little worried how long this car can actually last. Engine and CVT so far so good. The automatic windows can be inconvenient. You have to start your engine to be able to operate your windows.

appearance.

Thicker and heavier. Let me operate my windows without starting the engine!

CVT Performance Needs Attention
By Shelly

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned this vehicle for over 2 years. Love everything BUT the CVT Transmission! It hesitates upon acceleration, it jerks (like a manual transmission that needs shifted) at 35-40 mph. To me...it's EMBARRASSING, I feel like I am driving a sub par vehicle when I have a passenger with me. Hello Nissan, 35-40 miles an hour in the city is the speed limit! Please, please fix this issue...it is making me CRAZY! Love the sportier feel over my previous Camry, but with Nissan aware of this issue and not having a fix for it yet is just ridiculous. Thank goodness this car is going to be passed down to my 16 year old soon so I can get another vehicle.

Push button start, sporty feel, exterior look.

Fix for CVT Transmission issue.