2008 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
junk, junk, junk
By junk on 04/06/09 13:05 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car new. Had no problems with it until about 8000 miles. Since then, it has has a new radio and about to have a new rear view mirror. This is all I can get fixed. The transmission is junk and the motor runs like a diesel. It knocks and rattles and seems to get worse. The tranny is junk. Any load and it slips and I get ready to call for a pick up. The air bag sensor on the passenger seat is defected. Making matters worse, customer service says nothing is wrong and the car is old and is going to have these problems at 9000 total miles. I will never own a nissan again.

unhappy purchase
By thechad on 04/01/09 11:10 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I previously owned a 2006 Altima 3.5 SE and loved every second of it! Strong motor and great handling car... Traded it for a 2008 2.5 SL with CVT. I just want to run it into a wall every time I drive it. I thought I would adapt to the CVT and 4cylinder... it will never happen. Its too slow, CVT is annoying and the never ending revving of the engine is ridiculous. There is unfortunately nothing exciting about driving this car. The breaks are touchy and will throw you through the windshield, the throttle will snap your neck initially, the driver seat creaks with every turn (3 times they have tried to fix it) sunroof cover rattles (they said they can't fix.. on and on and on...

Best Value for the Money
By Mike C on 03/31/09 11:13 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

This isn't the most fun thing in the world to drive, but it has decent enough power and the front/rear stabilizer bars make it good for cornering except that the seat bolsters are too wide and don't offer much support. The creature comforts are great, the styling is classy, the interior is simple yet refined, and plenty of storage space.

Dissappointing. I Must have had a lemon!
By Dissappointed on 03/12/09 09:26 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased the 2.5SL Sedan and was so excited. I previously owned a 1996 Maxima and loved it. The Altima had too many problems to list. The main issues were the CVT transmission, ride stability and the drivers seat. I had to practically floor the car to get it going from a stop or slow speed. I really thought there was something wrong with the CVT, but the dealership told me it was fine 3 times. The driver's seat shifted around when turning (very annoying) and the dealer said there was nothing wrong. On the highway, if there was a slight breeze, the car was dangerously all over the road, again...the dealer said there was nothing wrong. I traded it in on an Acura and I am very happy.

Joy To Drive and Own 4Cyl Drives Like V6
By Jason on 03/08/09 11:47 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I have now owned this vehicle for approximately 1 year and my experience has been fully satisfactory. I cannot think of a better sedan that offers this much power, style, great handling - all at a reasonable price! ENGINE: This vehicle handles like a V6 sedan, but uses gas like a 4CYL. It still surprises me that this 4CYL CVT engine can produce 175HP with powerful torque, and gets about 27MPG combined city highway driving - translates to about 530 miles to 20GAL tank (600MI all highway). HANDLING: When taking tight curves on the road, I have no fear to take them even faster, as the steering is responsive and accurate. >>> Extremely happy with my first purchase of any car! Highly recommended.

If it weren't for the dang tires....
By Big T on 03/05/09 23:14 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I would love to say that everything about my car is rosy and great. However, Nissan for some inexplicable reason decided to install Continental tires on these cars (at least the ones sold here in Indianapolis), and the dang thing will chatter the teeth out of your head at 75mph plus. Other than that it's a superb car and I cannot wait until I have the cash to replace those tires with Michelins. In all honesty I love this car. It has great power for a 4banger and is very smooth (if you don't have a lead foot like me). The only other issue I've had is that it tends to sound a bit like a diesel when you start it cold. I'm told that this is perfectly normal...if not a bit annoying at times.

For Better or Worst
By AltimaMan08 on 02/28/09 02:55 AM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I was extremely impressed from the altima the first time I drove it. I compared it to the accord which was Nice but it was pricy and only had a 5spd, and to the Camry which had the crapyest cluch feel of amy car ive ever driven, was difficult to hold to floor. I love the keyless everything, very convenient for me bc im a delivery driver and am in and out of my car hundreds of times a day, gas mileage varies widely, when lead- footing it around town I have gotten as low as 20 mpg (burn out at every stoplight driving) to an extreme 40 mpg highway (55-65 mph), my best is 700 miles to one tank of gas. Which holds 20 gal. The best in it's class

bad engines
By GENE on 02/27/09 07:51 AM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have a knocking / rattle when I step on the gas when the car is cold. I have had my car in and out of Nissan service about 10 times at this point. I finally got them to admit that the noise exists. They have changed the heat shield but the noise still occurs. Nissan is telling me that this is normal and there is no piston skirts on 2.5 engines

Great Buy
By gilmore girl on 02/17/09 11:26 AM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

A little over a year ago I bought yet another Altima. Going through college I had a '96 Altima. Wow, how they've changed. The new Altimas are really sporty, fun to drive and reliable. I have black leather seats and they weren't the most comfortable when I first purchased the car but after a year they are great. The four cylinder has plenty of power and this is coming from a person who drove a 4 Runner with a V8 engine for 3 years. All in all a great buy for the price!

Great Car!
By bogeyboy on 01/27/09 14:45 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I am a Honda person so I was a little nervous about buying my first Nissan. I have owned the vehicle for over a year and have been extremely happy with everything from the performance to the look and feel of this car. No problems as of yet (27,000 miles and going strong) and looking forward to many years of owning this vehicle.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.