Used 2008 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 381 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Transmission needs to know me?
By kmp

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Has anyone heard this one? I bought my altima coupe new & it rode well for about a year--no probs. Now the transmission vibrates at 25-40 mph, & getting worse. The dealer tells me the transmission needs to adjust to my style of driving-that they may need to reset it to the factory setting and let it "learn my style of driving."this sounds like bs to me! Also, the car keeps telling me I have no key, & the car won't start w/the push button. I've gone through umpteen batteries in the last few months. I can put in a new battery today, & tomorrow the car will tell me my key has no battery. Very frustrating! The dealer tells me they are "going back & forth w/Nissan" & will let me know.

Get rid of the stupid push button ignition. Respond to customers' complaints in a reasonable amount of time. Act like you care.

Ready to trade.
By KP

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought brand new in June of 2008. I have 35,000 miles within 2 ½ years. Gets great gas mileage, very sporty and I really do like the push button start. But I have had problems that in my mind outweigh the good things. Had to have the radio replaced. That took 4 trips to the dealer before Nissan would finally replace it. Had the trunk latch replaced. Now I’m dealing with the radio display again and they won’t do anything and my warranty is up in 999 miles. Windows roll down if you hold the unlock button on the key. I didn’t know that till it happened the other night with the key in my pocket. Then the lights were on and I couldn’t get them shut off. So now I have to take it back in.

Sporty Good Gas Mileage Push button start

Nissan should really think about the customer. Shouldn't take four trips to the dealer to get something fixed. Just fixed the problem that happened on the car you built.

Hands down best bang for dollar in class
By Kathrine

2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My Altima came home with 65k (highway) miles, Although it was one year old. I must attribute the condition of the car to Nissan's absolute dedication to build quality. We just turned 87k on the odometer today. It still feels like a New car (mostly). Bottom line-Take care of this car and It Will take care of you. Punch the Audio power button and your paying for a new stereo. I truly love my Altima. hated the song. Absolutely Impressed with it. yeah the battery had a dead cell. $80 later I have 600CCR :) Forget the Sedan stigma. My 2006 Accord coupe V-6 was less of a car all around. I prefer it over our 2006 Toyota Avalon. I sit in the garage for hours just to be in my car!

1. CVT transmission, 2. 3.5 V-6 DOHC engine, 3. yeah the Keyless Ignition, and ext lock buttons. 4. the lack of external noises. 5. std pwr seat. 6. std safety features-saved my life at 140mph. 7. Suspension/handling. 8. std heat mirrors/leather wheel. 9. Std audio; its still in my car! ;)

Hey folks, quite honestly, a defective battery isn't changing my opinion(s). I was told my Altima had the optional VDC. It doesn't It is standard as of 2010. Convenient welded jacking points on frame would make changing my oil easier and safer with a floor jack. This Honda girl is "team Nissan"

So nice but, an important detail
By GioP

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The car has performed very well since I bought it brand new in 2008, except for the brakes which I've reported in all my service visits, 4 in total from north Texas dealers until the last one in north California. Brakes do have a sound like scraping metal but dealers haven't been able to fix it.

Premium sound system, Body style, Push button ignition, keyless remote, leather seats, Bluetooth built-in, fun drive, enough room for all passengers, auto A/C dual system, etc.

Technical issues should be diligently addressed by Nissan.

Transmission Problems
By David

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

27,000 miles and already had a check engine light and whining from the transmission. After being told a new transmission was being ordered. Nissan changed their mind and upgraded a computer program. A few weeks later while on vacation the transmission began to whine again and the car lost power. I am currently in middle of arguing the need for a transmission replacement. When I first bought the car, I requested new brakes due to squealing . It only took three returns and an attitude for Nissan to correct this action. I never owned a Nissan before and most likely never will again. I never had such a hard time getting quality service after such a major purchase

Good looking vehicle when loaded. Interior has exceptional options with exception to the comfort from jerking transmission

Take care of customers in the first attempt instead of trying to do cheap repairs with an attempt to try and outlast the warranty.