Used 2008 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Fun to Drive
By Dawn

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is a fun car to drive. It gets great gas mileage. I love the 20 gallon gas tank (that was a seller for me!). You can go forever on a tank of gas. I miss the room of an SUV (which I drove for years) but I was tired of the gas prices and poor gas mileage of the larger vehicle.

Favorite Features

Push button start, gas mileage, overall look of the car

Suggested Improvements

I only have two complaints. The road noise is horrible. When I talk on my cell phone, the person on the other end always wonders what all the loud noise is. My other complaint is the radio reception. The antenna is built inside the rear window and reception is just adequate.

Very Disappointed
By jcald

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

At around 30,000 miles, the transmission went out. No warning at all. I tried to start it, it jumped forward and died. Nissan had to bring a wrecker. They replaced the transmission, but now I think it is going bad again. I have around 45,000 miles on it and 2 days ago, it started getting really loud, almost like an ATV. When I let off the gas, it still roars loudly. The engine has always been very loud and it has gotten worse with time. It has always jerked when taking off and it smells flooded when you start it. Last winter it would only start if I pumped the gas. I'd crash the stupid thing if I didn't think I'd get hurt! My opinion of Nissan is not good anymore.

Favorite Features

The MP3 jack, exterior styling, mpg display

Suggested Improvements

Lose the CVT! Lose the push-button ignition (you can't drive the car if the key fob goes bad). Console scratches too easily. Too much fancy stuff means costly repairs. Keep it simple.

Very impressed!
By Bogeyboy

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Having been a Honda owner for many years, I was not impressed with the new Accord and started looking at the Altima. I was a little hesitant at first, due to the fact that reliability is my #1 concern, but after almost 3 years with the Altima, I am sold! I have not had any problems with this car and over 52,000 miles so far. Amazing acceleration from a 4 cylinder and the CVT is top notch! There is a little hesitation around 25 mph, but nothing that I would consider a 'deal breaker'. Car is VERY quiet and drives like a dream. The factory tires that come with the car were very cheap so I replaced them ASAP and now the car handles like a dream in all weather condition. Great MPG also!

Favorite Features

CVT, Outside design, Push button start, Keyless entry, MPG

Suggested Improvements

Fix the flat spot in CVT. Otherwise, great car Nissan!

Nice car, but not comfortable
By ED

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Not a bad car but Nissan and the Japanese auto makers really need to add some padding to there seats of there cars, I had a honda civic and traded it due to the seats being too hard. Same goes with this Nissan. Also, the 4 cylinder is very course. Put it to the floor and get your ear plugs. Should have opted for the v-6. The trans will not shift if I put it to the floor. You have to let off the gas for it to shift. A CVT thing? Also had a problem with the drivers seat moving around, had it fixed and it still moves around.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, handling, ride.

Suggested Improvements

SEATS! back breakers. Better less noisy 4 cylinder. Not sure about CVT.

Altima CVT Transmission Problems
By Oblique

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Ironically what attracted me to the Altima besides its styling was the CVT (Continuously Varible Transmission) which is a new style automatic with a belt inside instead of gears. It is smooth but not reliable or durable. After just 55,000 miles the transmission began to act up on warmer days especially in stop and go traffic. The dealer just said, "oh that can't happen. They reset the check engine light and charged me to replace the fluid (60K service) and the very next week it got worse, check engine light on all the time. They spent 5 hours telling me a new transmission would be covered under the extended warranty. I am trading this troubled CVT Altima in on a HONDA Accord! CYA, CVT!

Favorite Features

Styling was my favorite thing.

Suggested Improvements

Nissan should ditch the CVT and install a tried and true 4 or 5 speed auto-transmission to improve reliability. Too many CVTs have had problems requiring an extension of the transmission warranty.