2008 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Pleased at 16k
By slingshot on 08/17/09 18:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Bought car 3/08 and now have over 16k. So far no trips back to the dealer. Getting 24mpg in suburban driving and averaging 30-31 highway at 70-75mph. Very happy with gas mileage with all this power. Continental tires have provided smooth quiet ride to go with extremely quiet engine, which compliments a great sound system. Have found seats very comfortable for long drives. Gauges and buttons easy to use/follow. Trunk plenty spacious and nice having fold down split rear seats. Worth having the leather seats (heated - works great) and the other additional options like heated mirrors. Worth it. Debated between the 4 & 6. Worth it to pay for the 6 for the quiet and powerful engine

Reconsider before buying 6-spd manual
By dont_buy_the_6-speed on 07/26/09 12:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned this car for 10 months and it drove superb when I first purchased it, but the Edmunds.com editor was correct when he says that the 6-speed manual transmission should be avoided. In the winter, the gears began to grind, crunch, pop. I tried a dealer recommended synthetic oil and it helps slightly but even in the summer there is considerable gear grinding. Master clutch cylinder had silent recall; clutch pedal made reverberating "socket-wrench" sound until this was replaced. Nissan consumer affairs lacks technical knowledge and unhelpful and would not offer any suggestions to correct gear-grinding, it seems to be a common problem so please avoid 6-spd and go with the CVT

Love it!
By Anna on 07/25/09 18:04 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I've always driven Nissans. My last car was a Maxima, but I fell in love with the look of this Altima. The keyless entry is awesome especially when dealing with small children so you can have an extra hand rather than fumbling around looking for a key. I never thought I'd go from a V6 to a 4 cyl but the ride is real smooth and it still gets pretty good pick up. Haven't had any problems and never did with any Nissan I had. I put some chrome rims and grills on it and get compliments all the time on it. I'm definitely happy inside and out!!

Problems
By Mad mad person on 07/24/09 09:32 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

My car 2008, Nissan altima 4 dr put 80k on my car. 2 days ago I was driving my car and it started on fire through my air filter I have never heard of that a car starting on fire through air filter they have my car now been waiting on what happened not happy with car so everyone be aware. They probably will be charging me with the damage to the car oil change every 3000 miles and all parts kept up to date.

Is anyone else having this problem
By Don on 06/22/09 11:17 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I really do like my 2.5S, but when accelerating from a stop, between 25-45 mph there is a noticeable missing and loss of power. The dealership's service dept. could find nothing wrong with it, and suggested that I had gotten some "bad gas." I upped the octane from 87-89 before they even suggested this. One of the reasons I bought the car was for it's good gas mileage. If I end up having to buy super premium gas for it to run well, I have defeated my purpose. Also, there is little lumbar support in the driver's seat which makes long drives uncomfortable. Otherwise, I really like the car...

Engine Knock!
By Manny Garcia on 06/05/09 14:43 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased the car the summer of 2007 everything was fine until 3000 miles. I noticed a faint knock coming from the engine bay so I took it to the dealer for a check. The service adviser told me that I was using the wrong oil filter, not! Second visit they told me it was a heat shield, not! Finally, I got them to admit the knock is from inside the engine and got some inside info as well. They told me that engine parts are from different vendors so quality varies from part to part? The engine knock was from a piston slap in the block and that most 2.5l suffer from it, right around the first oil change and on. Nissan is aware of the issue but claims that there is no excessive damage so SOL..?

Not happy
By MS on 05/29/09 18:54 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The transmission was changed at 4K. Then trunk open button repaired. Car makes strange sounds that is not continues, dealer says it is normal. The trunk makes a click when open and close due to the two-rod design. I used to drive Toyota Camry; this car is far below the level of Toyota. It has a sport body, keyless engine start and many other options, which does not add to the performance. Dealer says the car built with many motors to operate components, which explain the strange sounds. If I had to buy a car, I would not consider Nissan.

Problems from the start
By JamesN on 05/01/09 13:24 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my 3.5SE cvt 1 year ago and almost immediately noticed slight movement in the power driver seat. I figured something needed tightening or adjusted but 1 year later and 4 visits to the dealer and the answer I'm getting is that I'm not the only one with this issue and Nissan is aware but does not have a solution yet. I can't believe I have a 32K car that I HATE now because of movement. Google Nissan Altima Seat squirm and you will find others with the same complaints. I doubt they have corrected the problem with the 09's but BEWARE. I've also had quite a few rattles that are frustrating me. I've had an Xterra and an 05 Titan that were well made but this will be my last Nissan.

Wish I still had my Honda
By Sam on 04/27/09 11:59 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased this car in December 2007. Returned to dealer 4 times for clunking noise when starting out.Dealer was unable to locate problem. Now drivers seat is loose when turning.This is my last Nissan product.

More Problems
By Kiran on 04/09/09 12:51 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

It has been a year since I bought my car. 2-3 months into my new car, I was having problem with the driver's seat. It moves left to right. Took it to dealership 7 times and they had Nissan tech come out fix the problem. Nothing happen, problem came back. Now new problem appear, it's making squeaky noise from the seat. I can't even move once I seat, otherwise I'll hear squeaky noise. I have contacted customer service and they keep telling me, they will fix the problem. No resolution. Also, I had problem with engine rattling. I had to take it in 3 times before tech can hear the problem. they fix this problem, but the problem is coming back now. NEVER BUY NISSAN CARS EVER.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.