Used 2008 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Most Helpful|
Hands down best bang for dollar in class
By Kathrine

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My Altima came home with 65k (highway) miles, Although it was one year old. I must attribute the condition of the car to Nissan's absolute dedication to build quality. We just turned 87k on the odometer today. It still feels like a New car (mostly). Bottom line-Take care of this car and It Will take care of you. Punch the Audio power button and your paying for a new stereo. I truly love my Altima. hated the song. Absolutely Impressed with it. yeah the battery had a dead cell. $80 later I have 600CCR :) Forget the Sedan stigma. My 2006 Accord coupe V-6 was less of a car all around. I prefer it over our 2006 Toyota Avalon. I sit in the garage for hours just to be in my car!

Favorite Features

1. CVT transmission, 2. 3.5 V-6 DOHC engine, 3. yeah the Keyless Ignition, and ext lock buttons. 4. the lack of external noises. 5. std pwr seat. 6. std safety features-saved my life at 140mph. 7. Suspension/handling. 8. std heat mirrors/leather wheel. 9. Std audio; its still in my car! ;)

Suggested Improvements

Hey folks, quite honestly, a defective battery isn't changing my opinion(s). I was told my Altima had the optional VDC. It doesn't It is standard as of 2010. Convenient welded jacking points on frame would make changing my oil easier and safer with a floor jack. This Honda girl is "team Nissan"

Nissan Altima...SMH
By soa

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My 2008 Nissan Altima has been out of commission for a month! At first I thought I needed new spark plugs, but found out that one of the cylinders needed to be replaced. Mind you if only has 67k miles on it. Took it to the dealership and they could figure out what was wrong with the engine and wanted to replace it. I've been back and forth with them for a month now and I'm tired as heck! I found out that other consumers have been having the same engine issues and there is a class action suit building in California. Honestly, I think the consumers need to all get together and sue the pants off of them for not correcting this problem. Lest we forget Toyota ? I'm not trying to be a causalty!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Recall the engines in the 2008 models and have better customer service about it. It's not our faults that you have [violative content deleted] engine builds. Save the Nissan name and do better!!!!

CVT gone at 50k. Wheel bearings at 40k, radio
By elijahwww

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Overall, this car was not a good choice for my wife. She had very annoying issues with it almost immediately with the automatic light shutoff and battery dying on her at the airport. In 2009 she used AAA 7 times. In 2011 we replaced wheel bearings, exhaust shield came loose, and radio would become unresponsive on random occasions - light would dim and volume controls would only cycle 6 and 7. Then in 2012 at 51k, the tranny goes. Yes, Nissan came through and forked over $5k towards replacing it as well as some other outstanding recall and emmision problems. Thanks for that. From a simple, cheap car all she wanted was decent reliability, at least up to a respectable 80k. But tranny at 51k. No

Favorite Features

It fits my son's car seat much better than our BMW 335. We can actually have a family ride with both adults at the front.

Suggested Improvements

The car blows cold air for way too long while it's warming up. The doors lock with keyless entry only when all the doors are shut. Just check what the Germans did and plagiarize.

Still loved my 2008 with 61k miles
By quezon118

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this car brand new in 2008, S model. Loved the CVT engine, got used to it after 3 days of driving. Comfortable drive, car turns like a dime. Did not have any major issues except 2013 when the dealer have to replaced the brake cylinder for leakage (under warranty.) Still driving with original tires and break pads which I need to replace soon otherwise, it runs and drives beautifully! This is my 2nd Altima, my first one was a 1994, drove it for 15 yrs. with 170k miles on it.

Favorite Features

CVT transmission, keyless entry.

Suggested Improvements

n/a

Poor shock absorbers
By Gino

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We live in a condo complex that has 5 speed bumps. The car scrapes bottom when carrying 4 passengers or if the trunk is full of personal items. Also have had problems with tire wear and more noticeable after having rotated the tires.

Favorite Features

Love the Bose sound system, quiet ride and its quick response.

Suggested Improvements

Increase the strength of the shocks or suspension system.