2008 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Just bought 08 Altima SL with 10K miles
By utlax18 on 01/13/10 12:22 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just bought a used 08 Altima SL with 10K miles. I like the sportiness of the car and the interior. Averaging 25.1 overall mileage (per the trip computer) and drive primarily in the city. Only issue I am having is a slight "lifter" noise which I have researched and they say it is a "timing chain tensioner" issue. Will take it in a week or so for the dealer to look at it. If I didn't have this issue, I would rate it a 9.

31,000 miles later....
By Moneyman on 12/15/09 13:06 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

So any review after a few weeks is worthless. Finally 31k later, here we go...Overall I really like this car. I've been averaging 29.8mpg in the winter (letting it run a little too). That's most impressive. CVT is pretty fun to drive. I've had a torque bolt tightened, I believe?, and the seat had a little wobble/click to it. Both fixed. There is the "popping noise that I hear at lights/after you shut it off. I will be asking about that next oil change, doesn't seem to effect anything. Overall a great car so far for mileage and comfort (I'm 6'1" 220) just don't put your kids in the back too! I'm not sure if its the tires, but they stink in the winter! My wife takes my truck! Would buy another

Colorado car
By Dennis on 11/28/09 21:35 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased the car new as I wrecked my Honda Civic when an old man turned left in front of me. I tried Honda Accord and Toyota Camry and Nissan Altima. Only the Nissan Altima had the CVT transmission. This transmission really gets the most out of a 4 cylinder engine. I pulled all cars up the steep section of Interstate 70 going up to the ski areas. The Nissan really held its speed going up the Floyd Hill or steep section for the test drive as the Honda and Toyota seemed to have to strain to keep up with the 65 mph. speed limit on the hill. . Bad is body dents really easily Poor body fit. Hate the fancy key. Honda dealer much better service.

disappointing
By aus26tex on 11/28/09 13:44 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Had the car for 1yr 5 months and have had ongoing issues with my drivers side seat sliding from side to side. Nissan has been a pain to deal with and even after I recently filed for lemon law they have yet to be in touch and have exceeded the 30 day time frame. Aside from seat moving side to side I have moisture in my right rear tail-light, unreliable brake pressure(they can be VERY touchy depending on which way the wind blows), blown speaker, rattles, and a hesitation when accelerating. Not sure how it has won "Highest Ranked in Initial Quality" from J.D. Power. Also has very uncomfortable seats, and poor handling. On the bright side good MPG, peppy and quiet.

Fun to drive, and more
By BirdBrain on 11/14/09 16:54 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I was a life-long GM'er but last year decided I had to do what's best for me than try to keep blindly supporting the domestics. I also needed better MPG yet retain some sportiness, as I spend most time commuting alone and need some fun driving. I researched hard and narrowed it to the (then) new Malibu, Mazda6 and Altima. The Camry was too blah & Accord a bit large and also vanilla. The Malibu was closest but still a bit mushy and was a brand new model. I have put over 30k miles on my SL and couldn't be happier still. CVT is great once you get used to how it works/sounds. Great handling too. Nice interior and controls, quik-down windows. Decent std stereo. GR8 sunroof

Altima
By PhilU on 11/09/09 08:25 AM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Have had my Altima a little over two months. No major complaints. Im coming out of a dodge charger so the ride is no way near as smooth. I began to experience a little rattling somewhere in cabin, I'm going to take it in for that. I cant stand rattles and squeaks. Fit and finish is great compared to pre 2007 models. Ride isn't as smooth as my 03 2.5 S altima.

Happy but not estatic
By cegledi on 10/25/09 11:39 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Personally think it is one of the most attractive sedans in its price range. Went from a Passat to a Nissan - bad move. The ride is nice but not germanic. The MPG is disappointing (averaging 2.3 mpg less than the DIC). The CVT makes it sound like a go-cart. Should have bought the V6 but didn't want to put in premium fuel - bad move #2. The V6 is too strong not to love. Only a few minor problems but nothing major to report. Highly recommend the V6 since you get cool rims, turn signals in side mirrors and VDC standard. I bought the SL package to get all the tech goodies which I don't regret and Nissan makes deals on their cars. Will trade it probably in two more years.

No Mechanical Problems
By 08LasVenturas on 10/03/09 19:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

We've owned our Altima since March of 2008 and haven't had one mechanical problem. It rides smoothly and quietly, especially with the CVT transmission. The exterior is sporty looking but the paint chips easily. The Key has been nothing but problems. One of the buttons is already missing while the paint chipped on another one. Not to mention it always sets off the car alarm unintentionally. The interior is nice looking and the dash is well laid-out. It also looks nice lit up at night. There are plenty of cup holders, but the plastics are cheap especially on the doors, where they are all scratched and damaged after only a year.

Most Uncomfortable seats ever
By Mario on 09/28/09 14:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have a 2008 Altima SE V6 and this is by far the most uncomfortable seats I have ever had. I downsized from a 2007 Infiniti M35 those seats were OK. Before I bought the Altima I had read several posts in Edmunds about uncomfortable seats on long drives and I should have listened better. It only takes 5 minutes and my back starts hurting. I do have back problems but this pain is different. It feels like there is no support in some areas especially left side. I have bought padded lumbar cushions but it did not help much. I would invest in custom seats if it would help but if not I am going take loss and get another car but what car in this class has superior comfort?

Sandra's Altima
By Sandra on 08/28/09 20:32 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Before I saw the 2008 Altima, my mind was set on a Camry, but after seeing and reading about the Altima, my mind changed. I had to have an Altima. I look forward to driving it each day. I love the keyless entry, keyless start and the CVT transmission. No digging in my purse for the key!! I have so much fun driving it.The gas mileage is awesome. Bottom line, I love my Altima!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.