Used 2008 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 382 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Early Impressions
By LPL

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I just purchased my Altima 2 weeks ago, but, so far, I’m thrilled. Nissan wasn’t on my radar initially, but after a good bit of research (mostly on Edmunds), I decided to give it a look. I was really impressed by the overall package, the styling, the ride, the performance are all great considering the overall price. And the gas mileage ratings were as good or better than anything else I was considering, while the 2.5L engine has sufficient pep. It had the most bang for the buck of the vehicles I test drove, by a comfortable margin. Two weeks in, I have no complaints, still quite pleased with the purchase. I’m getting right about 29 mpg, with a mix of commuting and in- town driving.

The SL package – I’m quickly getting used to niceties such as leather seats, moonroof, and the keyless start. And the dual climate control is my wife’s favorite feature. With the gas mileage and an 18-gallon tank, the range is approaching 500 miles.

Some of the interior trim isn’t quite as “upscale” as the overall feel. Items like the door panels and the trim around the shifter just look cheap. But that’s really quite minor. I wish the Altima had daytime running lights

Best Bang for the Buck
By ducksquat

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

With gas prices soaring and my Jeep Wrangler eeking out a pathetic 14 mpg average, I had to do something about it. At 6'4", I needed a vehicle that would accommodate my size and be useful for an upcoming baby. I just didn't fit without my head bumping the roof in the new Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, and Hyundai Sonata. But, much to my surprise, the Nissan Altima was a winner in terms of "fit." I'm very impressed with the power of the 4- cylinder, which felt much like what I had in my old V6 Accord. It rides very smooth, quiet and is refined. I'm very glad I bought this vehicle and have absolutely no buyer's remorse. It has a great aggressive style to it and wonderful for touring.

Keyless functions. Quiet and smooth ride. Feels solid. Excellent A/C. Excellent controls. Great room (front seats). Superb styling. Safety features are top-notch. Tires are exceptional. Live MPG display encourages better driving habits as it's almost a game with me to see how I can max the mileage!

Offer extras without packages such as alloy wheels, fog lights, radio, etc. I went with base model because I didn't want to buy full packages and would rather cherry pick which I want to add. Remote is too easily set off (alarm) when in my pockets - buttons should be recessed better.

Smooth and Powerful with CVT
By nissanfamily

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car is excellent and is a very comfortable family sedan overall. It handles extremely well in rain storms and any inclement weather. Heavy water on the roadway does not affect its traction nor does it pull on the steering wheel, as it did on my 2005 Altima. The 6 cylinder is definitely not necessary as the 4 cyl acceleration is smooth and powerful. Though it is not as sporty to drive as the 2005, the turning circle radius is much better.

CVT and gas mileage (28.9 on mix of city and highway. Styling is really sharp.

Stop the front doors from slamming shut on your leg. Steering wheel feel and comfort is not up to Nissan standards. The steering wheel on my Pathfinder is much more smooth leather and is comfortable on my hands over long drives.

Very nice car
By sepulveda

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is very nice car for the price. the gas mileage excellent, handling good, and very comfortable car. My other car is Honda Civic Si, but my sons love this car because of the comfort. The performance is not bad from a 4 banger also. If your looking for the ultimate affordable car, you should buy this one.

Comfort, CVT

Stability control as a standard.

Wonderful to own, great to drive
By Ellis G. Sr.

2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I really can't say anything negative about this vehicle. It is truly a sport coupe. Don't buy this car if you are not interested in a sport car but just like the looks. It has a very sporty ride (sport tuned suspension) and rides like it's on rails, superb handling. Acceleration is excellent and the CVT (continuously variable transmission) shifts seamlessly when in drive mode. You can manually shift it as well. My wife and I call it a baby Z. It is a really fun car to drive and I would highly recommend it as an affordable sport car that can hold its own.

Acceleration and handling are my favorite features of the car. Also interior design and layout.

I own an Armada as well (I was that impressed with the Altima coupe) and what I would recommend for the Altima is putting a display monitor in it as well for radio and vehicle computer similar to the Armada even though it doesn't have navigation.