Used 2008 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Great First Automatic Car!
By SunnyInSanDiego

2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This car is awesome! It is my first automatic, my first 4 door sedan and my first Nissan. I got it loaded - 3.5 SE V6 + Prem package and nav/XM. IS 250 had too small of a backseat, the 328i was out of my price range and I'm just not a Mercedes girl. I love to drive around with the windows down, the sunroof open and the Bose speakers blaring. Perfect for those sunny San Diego days. The CVT engine is great but takes a little time to get used to if you are a manual transmission girl at heart like me. Overall a great ride! Previously owned a Ford and 2 Mitsus. What a difference! My friend has a 2008 G35 and this is basically the same car. All the same features and $10k less. Sold!

Favorite Features

The 3.5 SE comes with sport tuned suspension and 17" wheels, add on Prem and Tech and you've got everything! Push button start, keyless entry, leather, back-up camera, sunroof, iPod aux, dark slate color, nav, XM, smooth ride, powerful V6 (ready on a dime), decent gas mileage for a hefty engine!

Suggested Improvements

The iPod interface needs to be completely integrated like on the Infiniti G35. Right now you have to control the iPod from the iPod and are unable to via the radio / nav system. Everything else is perfect.

A truly beauty
By NW of Wilmington, DE

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've owned the new 2008 Altima 2.5 S for just over 2-month with 2500 miles on it. It is a truly amazing car with outstanding gas mileage and fun to drive. I got 31 mpg on mixed city/hwy driving. It is fun to drive with plenty of ponies to spare on the hwy. The CVT is very smooth and the rev rarely over 2000 rpm even at 70 mph. Five-star crash test rating gives me a peace of mind. Having owned three Toyota Camry and one Honda Accord, I must say the Nissan Altima is way better and with the money saved enough for a nice Bahama vacation package. I just hope Nissan would make a diesel version of the Altima in the future.

Favorite Features

Push button ignition. combination of CVT/Manual transmission. Exterior style. Excellent gas mileage (way better than Honda Accord and Toyota Camary in daily driving. Plenty of trunk space and driver head/leg room.

Suggested Improvements

More options with 2.5 S version, such as with stability control, fog light, and alloy wheels. Occasionally rattle sound from the passenger side of dash board/window.

Just Bought Dream Car
By Big Bear

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I just bought my Altima today and love it. My wife preferred a Camry but she doesn't appreciate the better handling of the Altima like I do. It has a slight vibration at low speeds but the dealership assures me it is the tires having flat spots from sitting in the lot so long. It did seem to get better today as I drove 85 miles. I simply LOVE the car. I am 60 and it is the best all around car I have ever owned - quiet at all speeds, comfortable, very economical (if I can believe the instantaneous mileage readout) and gorgeous. Nissan hit a home run with this one. I got the Jade Green color with Blond interior and love it. The AC is superb and I absolutely LOVE the handling and CVT.

Favorite Features

CVT, powerful and quiet AC, handling. The way the car all seems just right and natural. The incredible mileage. If you drive it conservatively you'll be amazed. (If I can believe the onboard mileage computer)

Suggested Improvements

Greater CD capacity - no big deal. Really can't think of anything that really needs to be changed at this point.

I am torn.
By Five6viiate

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Okay, so I have the 2.5S CVT 4 Door with Convenience Package. Great car, smooth ride, good gas mileage considering my lead foot. The 4cyl blew the doors off my friend 4cyl accord, and picks up and hauls! The tires are GREAT in the rain, but the large sidewall makes the performance during turns and quick maneuvers quite sloppy. The spoiler definitely makes it look classy. I had to have my door repainted fresh off the lot due to poor clearcoat application and discoloration of paint. I was quite upset. Now my window doesnt have auto up. Just down. I have had 2 Nissan prior to this and one Infiniti. I am disappointed that this car has had this many "issues" in less than 2500 miles.

Favorite Features

Push button start, quiet ride, fun to drive, great looking, dual exhausts, decent radio.

Suggested Improvements

Convenience package should have the spoiler like the 3.5SE. doors sound cheap when they close. but the back deck needs to be anchored more, it rattles like crazy. Some of the interior panels (door arm rests and center console) feel cheap.

Better Gas Mileage Than Expected!
By billybronc

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I'm a courier and drive this car about 180 miles/day. I had an 07 Camry and averaged about 23 mpg, I've been getting about 26.5 average in the Altima only change I notice is the low rpm at high speed. Very smooth ride and acceleration. No hesitation when you hit the gas to pass another car. Should have XM radio standard. Much more fun to drive than my Camry, tires are MUCH cheaper to replace. Performance+ pkg is a great deal for what you get. The push button start is GREAT! The CVT (continuous variable transmission) is VERY nice and I wasn't expecting to notice such a difference.You'll notice it within a minute of your test drive.

Favorite Features

CVT (favorite feature and wasn't expecting to even notice), push button keyless start (keep key in pocket), acceleration, gas mileage, fun to drive, cool looks, comfortable seats, nice interior, lots of extras compared to Accord and Camry (dual exhaust, cvt, push button start)

Suggested Improvements

No XM standard have to spend thousands to get a simple upgrade, no daytime running lights, auto on headlights don't come on when windshield wipers are on, no auto locking feature when car is started or put into gear, no lumbar support for driver, rear seat room, key fob TOO sensitive in pocket.