Used 2008 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Poor Brakes
By LC

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my 2008 Altima in March 08 and I have already had to have my rear brakes replaced and rotors filed down. Mind you I have only 10k miles on my car. I really like my car a lot however I don't know if I am too thrilled that I am having brake problems already.

Favorite Features

The body. The smooth ride. Push button. There is this feature that I call Lock your keys in the car proof. I have only locked my keys in the car once and that is because I locked the car with my husband's keys but if I would have left them in the car I would not have been able to lock

Suggested Improvements

Brakes, brakes, brakes and fuel tank size

Poor fuel mileage
By bill

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The window sticker says 23-33 mpg, the mpg gauge on the dash says 32 mpg highway and 23 mpg city, but in actuality it only gets 21 mpg city and 26 mpg highway. These tests were done under very controlled fill up and driving conditions (I was an engineering technician with GM Research Labs). Our 4cyl Camry did much better than this. We bought the Altima because it was a little smaller than the Camry and thought it would get better mileage. Consumer reports gives the 4cyl Altima 18 mpg city. Feel like we were scammed.

Appearance

Suggested Improvements

Overly sensitive gas pedal that gives too much acceleration, too soon. And subpar fuel economy, which is what everyone is looking for with gas at $4.00.

Beware of heater
By BEWARE OF HEATER

2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

When you put the heater on the foot only position the heat comes out mainly from the windshield defrost and not the feet. If you put the heat on the foot/defrost position it performs the exact same function. My problem is I'm 4"10 and the defrost blows right in my face which is gagging me. My husband is 6" 1 and it dries out his contacts. I have contacted 3 dealers and the manufacturer who say that is the way the car is made. My point is why have two buttons if they both perform the exact same function. No one can give me an answer to that so I'm stuck with this horrible heater blowing in my face. Also the face vents tilt but do not close so you have air hitting you from there too!!

Favorite Features

Keyless ignition, the way the car looks from behind with the spaceship tail lights. The smooth fast way it drives.

Suggested Improvements

Have the heater come out on just the feet when you push the foot only button. Have the option of totally closing vents. Have a reminder beep when you leave the sun roof open. More space under the car seats. The sunshield on the windshield blocks the drivers view for tall people. Trunk wider.

Couldn't Be Happier
By Bill

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

2.5 SL CVT, with the connection package. I have never written a review for anything before but after all the helpful advise I read here before I purchased, I had to return the favor. I cannot be happier with this car. Have owned 1 yr, right at 17K miles, still just as excited about it as when I drove it off the lot. Looked at Camry and Accord, never even thought about this and then decided to check it out and something just stuck with me. Excellent performance for a 4 cylinder. Never been starved for power. Avg 27-29 mpg per tank with mixed hgwy and city, and I don't hold back on the peddle. Smoothest transmission I ever felt. Love all the extras too. Great car for the money.

Favorite Features

Never been much of a stereo person but the Bose system rocks. Don't know how I ever lived without Bluetooth and keyless feature before, I will never be able to go back to living without. Good gas mileage, If only highway you can average 32-35, I just sit in a lot of traffic. CVT is a wonderful thing

Suggested Improvements

Backseat is a bit smaller than I hoped. Options packages are frustrating and cost a fortune. Still an excellent car for the money, without a doubt.

From SUV to Car - LOVING IT!
By AltimaOwner08

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I traded in my SUV for a small car after gas started to rapidly rise...wasn't convinced I'd love the new car, but did it anyway to save money. Best thing I have done in a long time! My Altima is much more spacious than it looks and gets awesome gas mileage. I average 34 MPG on my daily commute. I have recommended to many of my friends and family who are complaining of the gas prices.

Favorite Features

Sleek outside styling & great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is pretty basic, but can't complain too much for the price.