Used 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S Consumer Reviews - 182 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

So Many Problems
By stormchaser32

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

When we first purchased the car, we had no issues until the 15K mark and car would not start.
Brake sensor issue.
Another 15K, stopped to get gas in Alabama, car would not start.
Brake sensor again. Trip to Florida and a loud whining noise, Transmission replaced 60K.
After getting the maintenance, they stated that it will be fine.
Whining brakes are annoying and the leather on the console is torn...not covered by warranty.
Also, center console is very loose.
Now the radio will not power on.
Drive about 15 miles and then press the push start w/o foot on brake, radio comes back on.
Problems and will not own another Nissan

The get up and go is nice.

I would want a way to start the car when the brake sensor is not working.

altima issues
By islander12

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Any issues that I have have with my 2009 Altima i just had to google and found them very quickly online.
Three issues, Push start, transmission and leak in the moon roof all were listed as a problem.
Nissan covered all repairs except for the moonroof.
Disappointing because only had 36000 miles as of 2012 and bought the car based on consumer reports.

I love having all the controls at my fingertips and bluetooth capability.

Seriously, issue recalls if known problems exist.

Most reliable car with great mpg
By brianarm

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my altima new for under 20K. I now have 50K miles on it and have had only 1 issue. The bolt holding the alternator broke, the fix cost me $75 because the threads were stripped.
I am still on my original tires though I do need to replace the fronts now. I calculate actual gas mileage myself and average 28 mpg in mainly city driving. So I go about 560 miles between fill ups (sweet). Car is plenty quick enough and was a lot faster than accord or camry (which I test drove). CVT is smooth and zero probs. I'm also 6'1 and have no problem with headroom or entry exit of vehicle. There's a reason this car is such a great seller, it's an auto mechanics enemy.....

Reliability, Looks, mileage, 20 gallon gas tank.

Packaging of the optional items.

Nissan Altima...SMH
By soa

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My 2008 Nissan Altima has been out of commission for a month! At first I thought I needed new spark plugs, but found out that one of the cylinders needed to be replaced. Mind you if only has 67k miles on it. Took it to the dealership and they could figure out what was wrong with the engine and wanted to replace it. I've been back and forth with them for a month now and I'm tired as heck! I found out that other consumers have been having the same engine issues and there is a class action suit building in California. Honestly, I think the consumers need to all get together and sue the pants off of them for not correcting this problem. Lest we forget Toyota ? I'm not trying to be a causalty!!!!

Recall the engines in the 2008 models and have better customer service about it. It's not our faults that you have [violative content deleted] engine builds. Save the Nissan name and do better!!!!

CVT Transmission is JUNK !
By catt66

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I am driving a 2008 Altima 2.5L SL model.
I have to say that it is fuel efficient and comfortable to drive.
The problem I am having is that I currently have 128,000km on the vehicle and am going on my 2nd replacement transmission.
My first was replaced at 60,000km after I noticed a whining noice when the engine was placed under load above 3000 rpm.
I just turned 128,000 km recently and noticed the same noice again, they have ordered another to be replaced.
I am very disappointed in the reliability here, Nissan sent a letter saying my transmission was covered under warranty up to 200,000km and at the rate mine are dropping off that won't get me through the lease, may be my last Nissan!