2008 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Afraid to drive
By prettylemon on 01/14/11 16:41 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have a 2008 Nissan altima 4dr 2.5S. Ive taken by car in for many reasons including regular servicing. From the 1st month i have taken the car in for whinny noises, lack of power going up hill, engine working hard when AC is on and then some. These complaints have been with 3 dearlerships. One day while driving, I released the gas peddle to slow and press to speed up a bit and it stops. Car starts fine the problem is intermittent. problem did not show up in the diagnostic test. transmission problem was found the the day the shop was returning the car to me the first time. This time i am afraid to drive it. (what if it stops in an intersection)

Drive train awful
By Teal on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

2 sets of bearings, one tranny failure (so far), constant brake noise. Probably the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned at the age of 63 and I owned some junkers as a kid. Get the car back tomorrow after another 4 days at the dealer service. Trading it this weekend on non-Nissan product.

Ready to trade.
By KP on 11/22/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought brand new in June of 2008. I have 35,000 miles within 2 ½ years. Gets great gas mileage, very sporty and I really do like the push button start. But I have had problems that in my mind outweigh the good things. Had to have the radio replaced. That took 4 trips to the dealer before Nissan would finally replace it. Had the trunk latch replaced. Now I’m dealing with the radio display again and they won’t do anything and my warranty is up in 999 miles. Windows roll down if you hold the unlock button on the key. I didn’t know that till it happened the other night with the key in my pocket. Then the lights were on and I couldn’t get them shut off. So now I have to take it back in.

So nice but, an important detail
By GioP on 09/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The car has performed very well since I bought it brand new in 2008, except for the brakes which I've reported in all my service visits, 4 in total from north Texas dealers until the last one in north California. Brakes do have a sound like scraping metal but dealers haven't been able to fix it.

Transmission Problems
By David on 08/16/10 12:37 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

27,000 miles and already had a check engine light and whining from the transmission. After being told a new transmission was being ordered. Nissan changed their mind and upgraded a computer program. A few weeks later while on vacation the transmission began to whine again and the car lost power. I am currently in middle of arguing the need for a transmission replacement. When I first bought the car, I requested new brakes due to squealing . It only took three returns and an attitude for Nissan to correct this action. I never owned a Nissan before and most likely never will again. I never had such a hard time getting quality service after such a major purchase

Stylish Ride, Good Gas Mileage
By Don on 08/11/10 22:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

There's at least three 2.5S' on our block, and more in the neighborhood. Nissan must be doing something right with this car. We love the gas mileage and style. This is our second Nissan, the last a 1989 Maxima. They still haven't learned anything about lower back support. Long drives can be painful. Otherwise, my main complaint is the transmission. It seems like the engine is missing, particularly when going up a hill. I've had it in to the dealer twice, and they can find nothing wrong with the engine, so, I have to feel as if it is the transmission. Recently, Nissan sent me a letter extending the warranty on the transmission. So there just might be something there.

Love this car
By cward74 on 08/09/10 06:27 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car is awesome for such a price. Is extremely fun to drive with good acceleration and handling. Car looks very sporty and has drawn many compliments. At 55k miles in the two years we have owned it, there has been no issues mechanically. Just bought new tires which is the first money into the car other than normal maintenance. The things I would like to change are the touchy brakes that can catch quicker than expected in comparison to other vehicles I've driven and result in some jerky stopping once in a while. Also, could use a little more room in the car, but can't complain as anybody buying the car knows this when buying it.

Very Disappointed
By jcald on 07/30/10 20:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

At around 30,000 miles, the transmission went out. No warning at all. I tried to start it, it jumped forward and died. Nissan had to bring a wrecker. They replaced the transmission, but now I think it is going bad again. I have around 45,000 miles on it and 2 days ago, it started getting really loud, almost like an ATV. When I let off the gas, it still roars loudly. The engine has always been very loud and it has gotten worse with time. It has always jerked when taking off and it smells flooded when you start it. Last winter it would only start if I pumped the gas. I'd crash the stupid thing if I didn't think I'd get hurt! My opinion of Nissan is not good anymore.

Very impressed!
By Bogeyboy on 07/30/10 19:08 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Having been a Honda owner for many years, I was not impressed with the new Accord and started looking at the Altima. I was a little hesitant at first, due to the fact that reliability is my #1 concern, but after almost 3 years with the Altima, I am sold! I have not had any problems with this car and over 52,000 miles so far. Amazing acceleration from a 4 cylinder and the CVT is top notch! There is a little hesitation around 25 mph, but nothing that I would consider a 'deal breaker'. Car is VERY quiet and drives like a dream. The factory tires that come with the car were very cheap so I replaced them ASAP and now the car handles like a dream in all weather condition. Great MPG also!

Nice car, but not comfortable
By ED on 07/26/10 07:35 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Not a bad car but Nissan and the Japanese auto makers really need to add some padding to there seats of there cars, I had a honda civic and traded it due to the seats being too hard. Same goes with this Nissan. Also, the 4 cylinder is very course. Put it to the floor and get your ear plugs. Should have opted for the v-6. The trans will not shift if I put it to the floor. You have to let off the gas for it to shift. A CVT thing? Also had a problem with the drivers seat moving around, had it fixed and it still moves around.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.