Used 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Most reliable car with great mpg
By brianarm

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my altima new for under 20K. I now have 50K miles on it and have had only 1 issue. The bolt holding the alternator broke, the fix cost me $75 because the threads were stripped. I am still on my original tires though I do need to replace the fronts now. I calculate actual gas mileage myself and average 28 mpg in mainly city driving. So I go about 560 miles between fill ups (sweet). Car is plenty quick enough and was a lot faster than accord or camry (which I test drove). CVT is smooth and zero probs. I'm also 6'1 and have no problem with headroom or entry exit of vehicle. There's a reason this car is such a great seller, it's an auto mechanics enemy.....

Favorite Features

Reliability, Looks, mileage, 20 gallon gas tank.

Suggested Improvements

Packaging of the optional items.

Nissan Altima...SMH
By soa

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My 2008 Nissan Altima has been out of commission for a month! At first I thought I needed new spark plugs, but found out that one of the cylinders needed to be replaced. Mind you if only has 67k miles on it. Took it to the dealership and they could figure out what was wrong with the engine and wanted to replace it. I've been back and forth with them for a month now and I'm tired as heck! I found out that other consumers have been having the same engine issues and there is a class action suit building in California. Honestly, I think the consumers need to all get together and sue the pants off of them for not correcting this problem. Lest we forget Toyota ? I'm not trying to be a causalty!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Recall the engines in the 2008 models and have better customer service about it. It's not our faults that you have [violative content deleted] engine builds. Save the Nissan name and do better!!!!

CVT Transmission is JUNK !
By catt66

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I am driving a 2008 Altima 2.5L SL model. I have to say that it is fuel efficient and comfortable to drive. The problem I am having is that I currently have 128,000km on the vehicle and am going on my 2nd replacement transmission. My first was replaced at 60,000km after I noticed a whining noice when the engine was placed under load above 3000 rpm. I just turned 128,000 km recently and noticed the same noice again, they have ordered another to be replaced. I am very disappointed in the reliability here, Nissan sent a letter saying my transmission was covered under warranty up to 200,000km and at the rate mine are dropping off that won't get me through the lease, may be my last Nissan!

Been a great lease, deciding to purchase it or not
By tmac4718

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Brand new lease on 08/13/2008, now has 36k miles. Have enjoyed the car so much I'm trying to decide whether to just buy it. If it was awd it would be a no brainer. Even with brand new Toyo all seasons this year it still stinks in the winter. Car is too light and can't keep the front tires from slipping entirely too much in the winter, drove my 4wd instead. Brakes have squealed the whole time, dealer says normal. And an odd loud ping upon startup when putting in reverse. Dealer can never reproduce the ping. Other than that great car. Other peoples tranny issues concern me but still has warranty

Favorite Features

Bose stereo, pushbutton start, I like the CVT for highway driving, gas mileage keeps getting better and better, seating position, steering wheel positions, seats(driver better than passenger), trunk space is huge, car is quiet, smooth, no road noise. Bluetooth and phone is better than my wifes MDX. 20 gallon gas tank is sweet!

Suggested Improvements

Brake squeal, beef up the steering feel(way to light), make the car a little bit heavier for freeway speeds and snow covered roads, make the brake and gas pedals not so sensitive. Passenger seat same as drivers.

would'nt buy another
By patr1

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Leased a 2008 that will be returned in Sept, 2001. Car has 28K miles. Engine sounds like my lawnmower. Brakes sound like metal on metal. The dealer says thats normal?? Would never have another. Pushbutton start stinks, but my wife likes it. Parked the car one day turned it off, I thought. Then came out 3 hours later to find the car still running. Note: be VERY careful if you buy a car with pushbutton start and have an attched garage. People have died from carbon Monoxide poisioning because they thought the car was turned off before retiring to sleep.