Used 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Still loved my 2008 with 61k miles
By quezon118

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this car brand new in 2008, S model. Loved the CVT engine, got used to it after 3 days of driving. Comfortable drive, car turns like a dime. Did not have any major issues except 2013 when the dealer have to replaced the brake cylinder for leakage (under warranty.) Still driving with original tires and break pads which I need to replace soon otherwise, it runs and drives beautifully! This is my 2nd Altima, my first one was a 1994, drove it for 15 yrs. with 170k miles on it.

Favorite Features

CVT transmission, keyless entry.

Suggested Improvements

n/a

Too many issues, now dealer won't fix, Nissan of Folsom problems
By stever343

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Everything was going pretty good until about 50,000 miles. I am getting a pulsating when letting off the gas, and a rough idle when cold. The 12 v outlet quit working. I brought it back to Future Nissan of Folsom, and they replaced the head! Thankfully I had the Nissan extended warranty, but they wouldn't allow me a rental, even though the extended warranty covers one! I get it back, idle is rough, bring it back, they say the reprogrammed it per some bulletin. The next morning, the idle is as rough as ever. Now the service guy, Rod, who had always been so nice, changes abruptly and tells me there's nothing wrong with my car. Now they won't take my calls and won't fix my car!

Favorite Features

I like the good gas mileage and quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

Remove horn from center of steering wheel, the horn should be able to be reached from the edge of the steering wheel. What's that going to do if I honk my horn at some idiot and they wreck into me, and the air bag goes off with my hand on the horn? The key should have recessed buttons. Things shouldn't be happening just because I sit down. I go out, my trunk is open, windows down, or the horn is honking because the buttons get pressed too easily in my pocket.

CVT gone at 50k. Wheel bearings at 40k, radio
By elijahwww

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Overall, this car was not a good choice for my wife. She had very annoying issues with it almost immediately with the automatic light shutoff and battery dying on her at the airport. In 2009 she used AAA 7 times. In 2011 we replaced wheel bearings, exhaust shield came loose, and radio would become unresponsive on random occasions - light would dim and volume controls would only cycle 6 and 7. Then in 2012 at 51k, the tranny goes. Yes, Nissan came through and forked over $5k towards replacing it as well as some other outstanding recall and emmision problems. Thanks for that. From a simple, cheap car all she wanted was decent reliability, at least up to a respectable 80k. But tranny at 51k. No

Favorite Features

It fits my son's car seat much better than our BMW 335. We can actually have a family ride with both adults at the front.

Suggested Improvements

The car blows cold air for way too long while it's warming up. The doors lock with keyless entry only when all the doors are shut. Just check what the Germans did and plagiarize.

So Many Problems
By stormchaser32

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

When we first purchased the car, we had no issues until the 15K mark and car would not start. Brake sensor issue. Another 15K, stopped to get gas in Alabama, car would not start. Brake sensor again. Trip to Florida and a loud whining noise, Transmission replaced 60K. After getting the maintenance, they stated that it will be fine. Whining brakes are annoying and the leather on the console is torn...not covered by warranty. Also, center console is very loose. Now the radio will not power on. Drive about 15 miles and then press the push start w/o foot on brake, radio comes back on. Problems and will not own another Nissan

Favorite Features

The get up and go is nice.

Suggested Improvements

I would want a way to start the car when the brake sensor is not working.

altima issues
By islander12

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Any issues that I have have with my 2009 Altima i just had to google and found them very quickly online. Three issues, Push start, transmission and leak in the moon roof all were listed as a problem. Nissan covered all repairs except for the moonroof. Disappointing because only had 36000 miles as of 2012 and bought the car based on consumer reports.

Favorite Features

I love having all the controls at my fingertips and bluetooth capability.

Suggested Improvements

Seriously, issue recalls if known problems exist.