2008 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Still loved my 2008 with 61k miles
By quezon118 on 07/10/14 10:37 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this car brand new in 2008, S model. Loved the CVT engine, got used to it after 3 days of driving. Comfortable drive, car turns like a dime. Did not have any major issues except 2013 when the dealer have to replaced the brake cylinder for leakage (under warranty.) Still driving with original tires and break pads which I need to replace soon otherwise, it runs and drives beautifully! This is my 2nd Altima, my first one was a 1994, drove it for 15 yrs. with 170k miles on it.

Too many issues, now dealer won't fix, Nissan of Folsom problems
By stever343 on 03/17/14 17:17 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Everything was going pretty good until about 50,000 miles. I am getting a pulsating when letting off the gas, and a rough idle when cold. The 12 v outlet quit working. I brought it back to Future Nissan of Folsom, and they replaced the head! Thankfully I had the Nissan extended warranty, but they wouldn't allow me a rental, even though the extended warranty covers one! I get it back, idle is rough, bring it back, they say the reprogrammed it per some bulletin. The next morning, the idle is as rough as ever. Now the service guy, Rod, who had always been so nice, changes abruptly and tells me there's nothing wrong with my car. Now they won't take my calls and won't fix my car!

CVT gone at 50k. Wheel bearings at 40k, radio
By elijahwww on 12/26/12 19:14 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Overall, this car was not a good choice for my wife. She had very annoying issues with it almost immediately with the automatic light shutoff and battery dying on her at the airport. In 2009 she used AAA 7 times. In 2011 we replaced wheel bearings, exhaust shield came loose, and radio would become unresponsive on random occasions - light would dim and volume controls would only cycle 6 and 7. Then in 2012 at 51k, the tranny goes. Yes, Nissan came through and forked over $5k towards replacing it as well as some other outstanding recall and emmision problems. Thanks for that. From a simple, cheap car all she wanted was decent reliability, at least up to a respectable 80k. But tranny at 51k. No

So Many Problems
By stormchaser32 on 07/09/12 09:31 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

When we first purchased the car, we had no issues until the 15K mark and car would not start. Brake sensor issue. Another 15K, stopped to get gas in Alabama, car would not start. Brake sensor again. Trip to Florida and a loud whining noise, Transmission replaced 60K. After getting the maintenance, they stated that it will be fine. Whining brakes are annoying and the leather on the console is torn...not covered by warranty. Also, center console is very loose. Now the radio will not power on. Drive about 15 miles and then press the push start w/o foot on brake, radio comes back on. Problems and will not own another Nissan

altima issues
By islander12 on 01/06/12 18:45 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Any issues that I have have with my 2009 Altima i just had to google and found them very quickly online. Three issues, Push start, transmission and leak in the moon roof all were listed as a problem. Nissan covered all repairs except for the moonroof. Disappointing because only had 36000 miles as of 2012 and bought the car based on consumer reports.

Most reliable car with great mpg
By brianarm on 10/12/11 11:01 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my altima new for under 20K. I now have 50K miles on it and have had only 1 issue. The bolt holding the alternator broke, the fix cost me $75 because the threads were stripped. I am still on my original tires though I do need to replace the fronts now. I calculate actual gas mileage myself and average 28 mpg in mainly city driving. So I go about 560 miles between fill ups (sweet). Car is plenty quick enough and was a lot faster than accord or camry (which I test drove). CVT is smooth and zero probs. I'm also 6'1 and have no problem with headroom or entry exit of vehicle. There's a reason this car is such a great seller, it's an auto mechanics enemy.....

Nissan Altima...SMH
By soa on 06/21/11 13:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My 2008 Nissan Altima has been out of commission for a month! At first I thought I needed new spark plugs, but found out that one of the cylinders needed to be replaced. Mind you if only has 67k miles on it. Took it to the dealership and they could figure out what was wrong with the engine and wanted to replace it. I've been back and forth with them for a month now and I'm tired as heck! I found out that other consumers have been having the same engine issues and there is a class action suit building in California. Honestly, I think the consumers need to all get together and sue the pants off of them for not correcting this problem. Lest we forget Toyota ? I'm not trying to be a causalty!!!!

CVT Transmission is JUNK !
By catt66 on 04/01/11 19:03 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I am driving a 2008 Altima 2.5L SL model. I have to say that it is fuel efficient and comfortable to drive. The problem I am having is that I currently have 128,000km on the vehicle and am going on my 2nd replacement transmission. My first was replaced at 60,000km after I noticed a whining noice when the engine was placed under load above 3000 rpm. I just turned 128,000 km recently and noticed the same noice again, they have ordered another to be replaced. I am very disappointed in the reliability here, Nissan sent a letter saying my transmission was covered under warranty up to 200,000km and at the rate mine are dropping off that won't get me through the lease, may be my last Nissan!

Been a great lease, deciding to purchase it or not
By tmac4718 on 03/10/11 21:30 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Brand new lease on 08/13/2008, now has 36k miles. Have enjoyed the car so much I'm trying to decide whether to just buy it. If it was awd it would be a no brainer. Even with brand new Toyo all seasons this year it still stinks in the winter. Car is too light and can't keep the front tires from slipping entirely too much in the winter, drove my 4wd instead. Brakes have squealed the whole time, dealer says normal. And an odd loud ping upon startup when putting in reverse. Dealer can never reproduce the ping. Other than that great car. Other peoples tranny issues concern me but still has warranty

would'nt buy another
By patr1 on 03/06/11 10:10 AM (PST)

2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Leased a 2008 that will be returned in Sept, 2001. Car has 28K miles. Engine sounds like my lawnmower. Brakes sound like metal on metal. The dealer says thats normal?? Would never have another. Pushbutton start stinks, but my wife likes it. Parked the car one day turned it off, I thought. Then came out 3 hours later to find the car still running. Note: be VERY careful if you buy a car with pushbutton start and have an attched garage. People have died from carbon Monoxide poisioning because they thought the car was turned off before retiring to sleep.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.