Used 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

sporty little economy car
By Chris

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car over 7 years ago, and it has taken us on several trips without any issues. Other than a new battery from time to time and oil changes often, this car has been great to us. Just recently, on a trip to Florida, I noticed the transmission was slipping a bit and the cruise control would not work because the sensor de-activated it, and the engine light came on. I pulled into a autozone store and they checked it quickly and advised that the transmission needed to be repaired or replaced. I drove the car a little slower on the last leg of the trip home without any problems. When I got home, I researched the site about complaints on certain cars, and discovered that the Altima had some issues. To my surprise the transmission had a 120Kmile warranty and my car had a little over 105K miles on it. I took it to Carriage Nissan in Gainesville Ga. and Alex, the service person gave me Great news. The transmission needed to be replaced and it was covered, 100%. He ordered a new transmission and the following day it arrived and I dropped my car off and was given a brand new Altima while mine was being fixed. two days later , my car was ready and just like they said, no charge and the loaner car was free. I cannot say enough of how well they treated me and Nissan's warranties are legit. I'm looking forward to a couple more years out of the car, and they definitely made that possible. This is the best 17 thousand dollars I ever spent.

Tired of visiting the dealership.
By Frustrated

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased my 2008 Altima new in 2008. This is one of my mistakes. I like the style of the car. I have spent more time in the service department than I would like. Recently my car is making a whining noise while driving over 60 mph. It stalled on the interstate and I had it towed to the dealership, they kept my car for 3 days and said they could not find anything wrong with it. I am doing research online at this time.

The push button start.

The transmission stalling.

Worst car we ever owned
By hubiedo

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

It is terribly uncomfortable on long trips as the seats do not have a lower back support. Poor interior design with the parking brake so close to the brake. We continue to have problems with the front brakes (replaced 2x) and shimmy when applied. The motor surges when accelerating from a stop. Rear antenna or wiring continually is causing bad radio reception and cd playing to skip on the cd's. We believe it is the wiring connection and have replaced the cd player 2x. Local radio stations will not play more than 15 miles from town.

none

parking brake moved away from brake pedal toward the left foot panel. better seat design.

Frustrated with Nissan headquarters
By Frustrated

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I absolutely love this car! This is the first Nissan that I own. I waited about 4 years to get this car and now that I have, the radio went out. Now, with me preferring the factory look, I asked Nissan to back me up with this, obviously, its a defect. Nissan made me wait 3 weeks and then finally told me that they would not replace or even discount a new radio. I think this is crappy since the car is a 2008. This will definitely be the last Nissan that I own, not for the product but for the service! It seems like they would want to back up their products but once you purchase, its in your hands!

No Mechanical Problems
By 08LasVenturas

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

We've owned our Altima since March of 2008 and haven't had one mechanical problem. It rides smoothly and quietly, especially with the CVT transmission. The exterior is sporty looking but the paint chips easily. The Key has been nothing but problems. One of the buttons is already missing while the paint chipped on another one. Not to mention it always sets off the car alarm unintentionally. The interior is nice looking and the dash is well laid-out. It also looks nice lit up at night. There are plenty of cup holders, but the plastics are cheap especially on the doors, where they are all scratched and damaged after only a year.

Cool styling, Lots of cupholders, dash buttons are easy to read, roomy, reliable

The interior materials are cheap and scratch easily, the key fob is a major hassle

• SUV