Fun to Drive and Withstands Abuse
By randy1099 on
2007 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
My girlfriend purchased this car new and it now has 102,000 miles on it. Being a die-hard American muscle car guy, I hate almost all FWD 4 cylinder cars, especially the imports. I was truly shocked by this one. The engine makes way more usable horsepower that I expected and coupled with the CVT, is able to perform well above its pricepoint. Somehow, Nissan managed to make this engine smooth and eliminated the torque steer associated with high power FWD cars. Girlfriend did almost no maintenance to this car for the first 90,000 miles. Car still runs great and gets low 30 MPG. CVT did die at 98,000 miles but Nissan replaced it for free. I do the maintenance and car is easy to work on.
Favorite Features
Smooth, powerful engine; great gas mileage; interior space; ease of routine maintenance
Suggested Improvements
Obviously, this generation of CVT has issues. I would strongly suggest that Nissan improve the reliability of this transmission. When it is working properly, it really enhances both the performance and the economy of the car. I understand that the new Altimas have a third generation of the CVT. Perhaps this is now a moot point.