Used 2007 Nissan Altima 2.5 S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Will never buy Nissan again
By chocaholic

2007 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Before I had this Nissan I had a 2000 Honda accord, that was so quiet you could hardly hear it run. It now has 220,000 miles on it and is still going strong, but my husband wanted it for work, so I got a newer car. I decided on the Nissan Altima for it's styling. What a mistake! I hate driving the car now. Because of it's gurgling noises and ticking noises and inside crackling noises and road noise, I hate this car and wish I never got it. I would never recommend this car to any of my friends. Do yourself a favor and don't buy the Nissan Altima. You will regret it! The car is an over priced, pretty piece of JUNK.

nice style design.

Build a well built car instead of a noisy, crackley car.

Love this car!
By rnorred86

2007 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this car in March 2011. My previous car was a 2006 Toyota Corolla S. It was a great reliable car, but I needed a bigger car with more legroom (I'm over 6ft.). It has a spacious interior & a comfortable steady ride & sporty handling. The interior is quiet & the 2.5L 4-cylinder engine is surprisingly powerful & has excellent passing power. It feels like a V6 & is also as quick as some V6's. I've been averaging 22.5 mpg, not as high as they say because I do more spirited driving & like to feel the great power of the 4 cylinder. I bought this car for its sportiness & roomy interior & I recommend this car for those of you that need a sedan, but still want that sporty handling.

Hoping for the best - Beware of catalytic converter
By ams5db

2007 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought a 2007 Altima 2.5S 4-cyl from a private seller in July 2011. It had 117,000 miles on it, mostly highway. The car was in great condition and I even had it inspected at a shop before buying it. About five days after driving it, the check engine light came on. I thought there couldn't possibly be something wrong with it already, so I manually turned the light off and waited...two weeks later, it was on again. The catalytic converter was the problem and I had it cleaned out, but was told that it still may need to be replaced. Everything was fine for about 3 months, but the CE light just came on again at 121,000 miles. I don't want the engine to get ruined, so I'll have to fix it asap.

Drives smoothly Dual temp controls Roomy interior and trunk space Heated leather seats Door lock/unlock button on front driver's and passenger's side (no need to search for the remote to perform this action) Built-in code reader for diagnostics checks Push-start ignition Auto-tinting review mirror Excellent turn radius

Windshield fogs too easily during rainy days Center console rattles when someone is resting their arm on it - very annoying Settings for defrost are configured so that the AC automatically turns on and you have to remember to turn it off. You also can't defrost with just the "recycle air" button on and not the AC - if you push the recycle air button, it automatically turns on the AC when the defrost setting is on. You can turn off the AC button, but that also turns off the recycle air button, so you have to defrost with the vents open and exhaust coming into the car, unless you want the AC on in the middle of winter. :( Very confusing and annoying.

Fun to Drive and Withstands Abuse
By randy1099

2007 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My girlfriend purchased this car new and it now has 102,000 miles on it. Being a die-hard American muscle car guy, I hate almost all FWD 4 cylinder cars, especially the imports. I was truly shocked by this one. The engine makes way more usable horsepower that I expected and coupled with the CVT, is able to perform well above its pricepoint. Somehow, Nissan managed to make this engine smooth and eliminated the torque steer associated with high power FWD cars. Girlfriend did almost no maintenance to this car for the first 90,000 miles. Car still runs great and gets low 30 MPG. CVT did die at 98,000 miles but Nissan replaced it for free. I do the maintenance and car is easy to work on.

Smooth, powerful engine; great gas mileage; interior space; ease of routine maintenance

Obviously, this generation of CVT has issues. I would strongly suggest that Nissan improve the reliability of this transmission. When it is working properly, it really enhances both the performance and the economy of the car. I understand that the new Altimas have a third generation of the CVT. Perhaps this is now a moot point.

A Decent Commuter
By autojunkie79

2007 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

As my daily driver, the Altima is very quiet compared to the previous generation and gets great gas mileage (30.1 mpg avg) despite spirited driving tendencies (70+ mph, squirting through traffic). Now at 56K, it has been very reliable though there are several minor quality issues: A heat shield that rattles when engine is cold, air intake that keeps coming off and rear wheel well liner that keeps popping out - nothing that affects drivability or safety. For a midsize family sedan, the Altima handles surprisingly well but the electric steering is lifeless and OEM tires are horrid in the snow. I don't love this car, but I don't hate it either. It's a safe bet, just like Camry and Accord.

- Fuel economy - Quiet ride (compared to previous generation) - Sporty handling - A/C and heat works fast! - Intelligent Key - Stock stereo is actually pretty decent

- Electric steering: effort is way too light - OEM tires: great in dry/wet and quiet, but they suck in any snow condition - OEM wipers: They streak/chatter even when new and don't last very long - Styling: Could be more upscale in the details; car looks better from a distance rather than up close and personal