Used 2006 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2006 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

RUN RUN RUN Away!!!
By jimbodwb

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been nothing but problems from the very beginning. Should have returned it when I only got 5 miles from the dealer and the engine started spewing smoke. A hose was not clamped properly tranny fluid sprayed all over the engine. Then the speedometer is off like 5 mph but the dealer says "it is normal for this vehicle". Stereo had to be replaced for scratching cd's. Front brake rotors were warped and replaced at 18k after fighting with the dealer and contacting Nissan directly. Bringing back this week for rear rotors falling apart! Yes pieces of the rotor have rusted causing the pads to shred. Transmission slips since I got it but dealer says nothing wrong. This is the worst car ever!

Favorite Features

I love that this vehicle is so bad in the snow and rain that it is unknown whether I will make it home or end up in a ditch or a hospital. I love that Nissan has been the most difficult automaker I have ever dealt with. I love that my lease is up in a few months and the nightmare will be over!!

Great for the family or having fun.
By packersfan34

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Me and my wife did a lot of research on the Altima before our purchase. The one drawback I could see was that people wished they had bought the V-6 instead of the I-4. The first time I test drove my Altima SL I knew it was DEFINITELY the car for me. The leather interior is soft and VERY comfortable. The six disc changer is great and the 8 speaker Bose system really rocks. I have not owned this vehicle very long but with the amount of test drives I've taken and the many vehicles I've looked at this the Altima is for sure the best mid-size family sedan for the money.

Favorite Features

3.5L V-6 is hands down the best feature, you feel every bit of the 250 HP. The sunroof is nice and the sound system is phenomenal.

Suggested Improvements

GPS standard on SL models would be nice.

Incredible mileage and performance
By russ

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this vehicle for my wife to run around in. At the time, I wasn't in love with the Altima but she was, so she got it, of course. We added the spoiler and kept the rest pretty stock. It is clean enough with its factory lines. I know that they say this car gets about 26 mpg but I get avg. 29 city, and 34-37 hwy and have since we have owned it. I am tremendously impressed with it especially for the price we paid. I did replace the battery but that is common when you spend summers in Az. It is not the first Nissan that we have had and it probably will not be the last.

Favorite Features

Color deep grey, power pkg., handling.

Suggested Improvements

For the money, it's fine the way it is.

Improvement
By grace

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car does not perform well in the rain. My brakes were squeaking after 5 minutes in the rain. This car needs ABS brakes. I am somewhat disappointed. The commercial said buy Nissan, built tough. I had a Pontiac Sunfire, it performed very good in the rain. The only reason why I bought this car is my car was wrecked. The under side is too low, it drags on some drive ways. Some time I think the transmission is dragging. For the price it should have HD radio

Favorite Features

The interior is nice, the seats are comfortable. The steering wheel is nice.

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes for the rain. Raise the bottom of the car, so it does not scrape.

Safety Proven
By karan

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I hit a deer two nights ago going 65 MPH. I did not see the deer until I actually hit it. The hood did fly up over the windshield as I hit the deer dead center of the front of the car. Car is probably totaled since it's three years old but I wasn't hurt and the car didn't crumple. I was able to maintain my lane (skid marks are perfectly straight) and drive to the next driveway to call the authorities. I will buy another one.