Used 2006 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Burning oil in a foreign car???
By klr4isu

2006 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for just over a year and enjoyed it until I started burning oil for no reason. No leaks, I'm actually BURNING it! I went through a quart of oil in about a month. I thought the hype of buying a foreign car was how reliable they are mechanically... go figure. Oh, and there's some weird rattling noise under the hood that my mechanic described as a "loose shield" that I have to get fixed. Sounds like a can with marbles shaking in it when I'm at about 2-2.5 RPMs. And I guess I figured the whole point of getting a 4-cylinder was the awesome gas mileage. I average 26 and I guess I figured it would be more since 80% of my driving is highway. Go figure. No more Nissans for me.

Exterior styling (although wish I would have gotten one with a spoiler).

Not selling cars that burn oil at less than 75k miles! The interior seems a little cheap too. I guess if I wanted luxury in a Nissan I should have went with a Maxima. Better gas mileage too.

Just Awsome!!
By VQPowerBaby

2006 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Nissan Altima 3.5SE for over 2 years now, and have had nothing but FUN in this car. I test drove a 2.5 and a 3.5 at the dealership when I was buying and after experiencing the thrust and power of the 3.5 I had to have it. The car now has just over 50k miles on it, and have had NO PROBLEMS at all - that being said I have only ever used Mobile 1 Synthetic oil, and 91 Octane fuel and the car has purred without hiccup for me through the duration of ownership. I have taken multiple long distance road trips, and I really just cant get enough of the performance ride. Seriously no matter at what RPM or speed you are at there is plenty of power to spare-I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS CAR

Power at every speed, extremly quick throttle response, handling, corners like a much smaller sports car / STYLE - LOOKS HOT / Interior is VERY Comfortable, very efficiant design, HUGE TRUNK space, Did I mention THRUST? Surprising interior room - fits 5 very comfortably,get compliments all the time

None - yes it's that good.

Will not buy again
By Madman96

2006 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This has been a nightmare from the day I bought it. I had to call NIssan for assistance and they sent me a physc evaluation questionaire before they would assist. The car smells of antifreeze. The seat belts lock and will not unlock. They were replaced on one seat and the problem got worse. I am on my third set of brakes and 3rd rotor on the left front. After each brake job the car rides decent for about 5000 miles and then the vibrations start. The rotors overheat and warp. Definite design flaw. Dealer always says no problem found with all problems. I will never buy from the dealer or Nissan again. 92,000 miles of unpleasant experience. Average mileage mostly highway 23 mpg.

The design is what talked me and the wife into buying it. The rated mileage was a plus.

Fix the brakes and seatbelt design. create a car that does not estimate at 1700-2500 dollars and 3 days to fix, to replace a heater core.

Not a bad car but glad its a lease
By Allyson

2006 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Overall, this is a decent car. Gas mileage good, decent highway and uphill acceleration. Very nice-looking car. But after driving it for 3 years I am so glad my lease is up. The 2 major drawbacks of this car is 1) horrible in the snow, especially if there is any type of uphill slope-2) terrible brake design. I could never make it up any type of hill in the snow with this car. Never felt safe driving this in the snow. Paid extra to have very good snow tires put on last winter and performance in snow still crappy! And now at 29K miles the rear brakes (pads and rotors) are completely shot! And Nissan won't do a thing about it even though they know its a problem. Front brakes are fine- go figure!

Attractive car. Good gas mileage.

Nissan needs to improve Altima's performance in the snow. Horrible! They also need to do something about the rear brakes wearing so quickly and before the front brakes. How is that even possible? This is a common problem and obvious flaw yet the consumer is financially responsible for fixing.

Best car I have owned yet
By jhogan

2006 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Great car. Bought used and love it. Good weight for snow and rain, have had no problems slipping, spinouts, or traction problems. My brother borrowed it and said he almost totaled it in the snow, but he is one of these drivers that drives to fast and to close to other cars. Decent mpg for an engine that is 175 hp. Plenty of pickup for ramps and highway traveling. Enough room for me and the family. With trunk space to spare. Won't be my last Nissan. Good car for the money.

The lumbar in the driver seat. Middle shoulder strap in back seat, and the steering wheel controls.

More headroom. I sit very high.