Used 2006 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2006 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Reliable and fun to drive
By Alex

2006 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought one with 46k miles on it. I was happy to find that it still has plenty of power. I took it on a 7 hour road trip and enjoyed how easily I could pass other cars on the highway. It also gets pretty decent gas mileage for the size of the engine. The handling could be better, it feels heavy in turns. A little disappointed with the sound system. Overall a comfortable and capable vehicle.

Favorite Features

Power, navigation system.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius isn't great. Sportier handling/suspension. Equalizer for the CD player. Lose the spoke in the center of the steering wheel. Seats are a little hard.

not so smooth....
By vamshi

2006 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had this car for almost 3 years...37K miles on it. the tires that came with the car were very cheap...cant blame the car. My only complaint is the ride doesn't feel smooth anymore....I can hear the road noise through the cabin....It is not supposed to be that way. Dealer says everything ok but not sure. Like the car for all its features but still have my doubts about its reliability.

Favorite Features

the SE version has everything you could ask for....worth every penny.

great car so far
By erin

2006 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2.5 SL used a few months ago after trading in my hummer H3 (i know, big change), and have not been disappointed yet. Fun car to drive, gets great gas mileage. average around 28 mpg. Only problem was 3 days after buying it, came out of a store and the battery was dead. Got a jump and called Nissan and they told us to either call and have it towed in (they would reimburse us), or go buy a battery and they would reimburse us for it, which they did with no problem. Have no problem driving in the rain, car does great but have yet to drive it in the snow... i know that's a big complaint with a lot of people. Has a lot of wind noise in driver side door. Other than that, great car.

Favorite Features

sporty, great pickup (even in the 2.5L), love the bose audio system and steering wheel controls

Suggested Improvements

none so far

Excellent choice
By jp

2006 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third Nissan vehicle. Have not had any problems with this 2.5 altima. It has leather seats, moon roof, Bose system. After driving my 92 Nissan truck for years without any problems and my 2000 frontier without any problems, I decided that Nissan was by far the best, most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Both pickups are still running today and had 189,000 miles or more on them when I traded them in. This 2006 altima exceeds my expectations everytime I drive it. I knew the engine would be a little bit louder than other cars because of the timing chain instead of a timing belt. But in my opinion makes it more reliable.

Favorite Features

4 cylinder has plenty of power, love everything about it.

Suggested Improvements

none

Burning oil in a foreign car???
By klr4isu

2006 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for just over a year and enjoyed it until I started burning oil for no reason. No leaks, I'm actually BURNING it! I went through a quart of oil in about a month. I thought the hype of buying a foreign car was how reliable they are mechanically... go figure. Oh, and there's some weird rattling noise under the hood that my mechanic described as a "loose shield" that I have to get fixed. Sounds like a can with marbles shaking in it when I'm at about 2-2.5 RPMs. And I guess I figured the whole point of getting a 4-cylinder was the awesome gas mileage. I average 26 and I guess I figured it would be more since 80% of my driving is highway. Go figure. No more Nissans for me.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling (although wish I would have gotten one with a spoiler).

Suggested Improvements

Not selling cars that burn oil at less than 75k miles! The interior seems a little cheap too. I guess if I wanted luxury in a Nissan I should have went with a Maxima. Better gas mileage too.