Used 2006 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2006 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Most Helpful|
2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 Excessive Oil Consumption
By evukmanic

2006 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL appears to be part of a recall (NTB06-028) for excessive oil consumption. The car began exhibiting the symptoms of the recall concerning excessive oil burning at 120K miles in late June 2012. The problem started suddenly, burning one quart every 600 miles and with in two weeks one quart every 300-350 miles. Throughout my ownership of the car the vehicle had always been properly maintained at my local Nissan dealer. At 138k miles the vehicle began making a noise that sounded like a bag trapped underneath the car. Just after arriving home, the car exploded in thick, black smoke that billowed from under the hood and into the vehicle through the vents. Recall campai

Favorite Features

I purchased a Nissan based on their reliability reputation and was very pleased with the Altima until it needed major repairs at just 138K miles.

Suggested Improvements

An ineffective recall, excessive oil burning, and repair consisting of a new engine and cat is not acceptable.

Long term owner
By kirkmm

2006 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Nissan Altima 3.5 SE in 2006 and have been very pleased with it over the course of its lifetime. I had no warranty issues and have made sure that regular maintenance has been done. This car has been fun to drive and I enjoy getting into it every day. Overall I am very pleased with this car. Pleasantry aside, I recently needed to have the timing chain replaced. This is not cheap and is a labor intensive job. Aside from the timing chain and other regular maintenance (brakes, battery, et cetera) I have not had any issues with my car. I plan on driving this colloquial tank into the ground.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Good handling and peppy motor.

Suggested Improvements

Imagine the possibilities if this were rear wheel drive and supercharged and/or turbo'd.

Do Not Buy! Serious Design/Quality Problems!
By camrydriver69

2006 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

These cars have very serious powertrain problems. The pre-cat disintegrating over time and the bits and pieces being sucked into the engine, possibly causing engine damage, and causing oil burn. All 02-06 Altimas suffer from the same serious design flaw. For that alone you should avoid this car. Other common problems include butterfly valve screws being sucked into the engine and causing damage, timing chain problems, floor boards rusting through, and rough-shifting transmissions. Despite what the Edmunds review says the car is NOT fun to drive. The powertrain is extremely unrefined and noisy. It also only gets around 20 mpg in the city, which is pathetic for a 4 cylinder.

Favorite Features

Styling, is probably the only attractive feature of the car, and the size, if you like large cars. Whenever I drive the car I feel like Nissan tried to make the largest possible car for the least amount of money. All this does not matter of course if the engine decides to self-destruct.

Suggested Improvements

I didn't run into the dreaded pre-cat problem yet, but I've had to deal with a whole bunch of other issues. I've spent around $5000 in one year servicing this car (in independent shops). I bought it used, but I've owned other used cars, and compared to say the Toyota Camry the build quality of the Altima is a joke.

172,000 miles and no problems
By miktyler

2006 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Altima in 2009 with 40,000 miles on it. It's now at 172,000 miles and still runs perfectly. It has been driven very hard the entire time I have had it. I drive the car 100mph+ on a weekly basis and it has never failed me. All I have done is change the oil every 3000 miles. I've had to replace the brakes a few times which has more to do with how I drive than anything else. I would highly recommend an Altima to anyone who is looking for a dependable vehicle. It's not the fastest or best handling car on the road but it is more than capable of anything you would need. Only complaint might be that it handled poorly in the snow when I used to live in Michigan.

Never buy a Nissan. Acceleration stopped in Highway.
By ryandbm

2006 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Nissan has acceleration problems. The sensor in the gas pedal can develop faults, leading to a sluggish acceleration or an outright stall regardless of how much throttle the driver dials in. If you google "nissan acceleration problem", there are 2,360,000 results show in 0.13 seconds. The year spans from 1994 to 2013 in Rouge, Altima, Sentra, Cube, Maxima, etc. although Nissan only recalled the 2004-2013 cars. I have a 2006 Nissan Altima, which showed the sudden stop in high way 4 times from 2010 to 2013. But my car is not in the recall list. Nissan and its dealers are finding all excuses to push off the responsibility. My lesson is never buy a Nissan.

Favorite Features

exterior design and interior design.

Suggested Improvements

Acceleration problems. Nissan should recall the cars with acceleration issues instead of pretending recalls due to public pressure. Arizona State is not in the recall list. The dealer of AutoNation Nissan Tempe (AZ) is poor in service and charge too high for repair. They even lure you for $2k repair which is indeed their recall problem.