Got screwed by Nissan again
By nissancrap on
2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
I have a 2005 altima SE 3.5 with 80K miles. It was a fun car to begin with and plenty of power and torque for a $25,000 car. But I had spent more monies on this crap even more than my 2002 BMW. I ran into the timing chain tensioner guide cracking issue @40K miles which I was lucky it still covered warranty. Many owners were not so lucky but have to pay close to $2,000 after warranty expired. But after Premier Nissan at Fremont, CA fixed it, the air conditioning stopped working. Took it back to Sunnyvale Nissan to get it fixed again. The car interior had some strange rattling sounds which the dealers thought it came from the dash panels and never able to eliminate it.
Favorite Features
3.5 L engine and 249lb of torque. Roomy interior.
Suggested Improvements
Lots of over-steers. Changed the stock shocks and spring to KYB and Eibach Pro spring, much better and less over-steers. Front brake disc often warped. VQ35DE engine commonly have timing chain tensioner guide cracked may cost $2,000 to fix, Nissan should accept responsibility as design flaws to do recalls. Engine rattling may due to aging spark plugs at 70 ~ 80K miles. Most dealers at bay area california have poor services and only Nissan Sunnyvale is at acceptable level. Definitely stay away from Premier Nissan at Fremont, CA. they will just rip you off and being rude if they can't fix the problem. Stay away from Nissan at all cost, GM cars are even better built.
By lola25
on 07/22/11 09:34 AM (PDT)

I totally agree with totally screwed again above! Nissan is Crap. First time buyer of Nissan and the LAST. I purchased 2005 Nissan Altima 4cyl. brand new. I continued hearing water sounds around 32,000 miles took it several times to a couple of different dealers to find the problem. They seemed not to hear the water or find a problem. The problem was a blown head gasket at 40,000 miles, luckily warranty covered or it would have cost $2000. to fix. Service departments needs more educated mechanics that know what they are doing. Went to pick it up Gwinnett Place Nissan found they had side swiped their poles in the service department with same color paint, a few small dents. I asked what happened to my car a manager came out to view act as if it was already on my vehicle until I argued the paint color from their service department. He was then rude stated well I didn't look over the vehicle when it was left. He had them to wash, buff and remove dents from my car after I sent back 2 other times to correct before leaving. Before I got home Engine light came on again. I took back immediately they found they didnt't replace the valve cover after they stated on the repair form replaced. It was warped. I have always heard water somewhere but was told nothing wrong. My car does have 197,000 miles but maintenance always kept up. I've spent enough to have bought 2 cars. Throttle Body, struts, shocks, AC Condenser, Catalyst Converter, warped brakes, rotors, headlight on the driver side all the time blowing, steering is terrible, Oxygen sensors, crank sensor, several other sensors replaced. I liked the sporty look on the outside but not worth all the stress and money. Now told I need a new engine because of the blown head gasket again.... Chevrolet and all american made vehicles the dealers will at least cover problems that has been minor or major in the past and STAND BEHIND THEIR CUSTOMERS....