8 years old, 148,000 miles, still happy
By ronrn on
2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
My 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5SE was the first NEW car I ever purchased, having only purchased used cars before. I have been very pleased with the car. I now have around 148,000 miles on the car and it is still running strong. I have not had any major problems. I have gone through the original set of tires and replaced the tires twice and need to go get new tires again. I first needed the rear brake pads changed at around 100,000 miles. The front pads needed changing for the first time at about 130,000 miles. I'm not sure how long I'll continue driving this before buying a new vehicle; earlier this year we replaced my wife's car with 2013 Ford Explorer (fully loaded Limited), happy with it too.
Favorite Features
I like the acceleration and the manual over-ride of the automatic transmission. I often drive my car like a racing car, downshifting to get that extra oomph. I tend to downshift to assist with slowing down; probably partially to thank for brakes lasting over 100,000 miles. Even though the navigation system is not the greatest, I'm still glad I have it. 2005 was the first year navigation was in the Altima and unfortunately, the data Nissan chose to go with for map information was very flawed. With the first map disc, I was often driving in "no-man's land"... where it didn't even know I was on a street, despite homes being on the street for nearly 10 years. I had to pay for an upgrade.
Suggested Improvements
Original map data very poor and had to pay around $100 for an update to get usable map data.