2005 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Have the craving to drive every day
By Peter on 01/29/09 15:01 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Having owned this pre-owned Altima for several months now, I can safely say that I'm glad I bought this car. More power, room and economy than my previous car. The car looks great inside and out. No mechanical issues except a fuel-starved engine from parking on an incline (hard start afterwards). Luxury touches like auto windows, trip 'puter and power seat are nice. Overall, no mechanical issues. Some of the coloring/dye in plastic has worn through and leather on steering wheel too. "Wood" trim scratches easily. Nothing deal-breaking: no trim falling off, no significant squeaks or rattles. Fuel econ: 24 city/32 hwy -- 20 gal tank

Love it, But hate it
By Mandddddyyy on 01/27/09 00:49 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car after owning quite a few Chevys, and this is my favorite car to date. I love the power and the handling is great, the car looks great. However I live in upstate NY and we get a lot of snow in the winter, with the TCS it makes it very difficult for me to get around. I have to remember to turn off TCS every time I get in the car if there is any snow. The car absolutely will not go uphill in any snow whether TCS is on or off. And there is a considerable amount of road noise, it always seems like I'm yelling over it to talk or turning the music up very loud to hear.

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE-R
By SE-R Fanatic on 12/23/08 06:45 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car at a large auto auction. I was looking for a 2005 Altima SE or Maxima SE. Came across this one and fell in love with its design. This car has it all for a stock 4-door sedan. The gas mileage is okay, I am averaging 21 MPG, but that is probably due to the fact that this car wants to be driven hard. This car will flat out fly. I had to by the automatic b/c the wife refuses to learn a manual. The ride quality of this car is good, but not great. This is due to the 18 inch low profile wheels and super stiff sport suspension. This is not your grandpa's Caddy. Bottom line, I would buy this over the competition. Nissan is making some of the best cars on the road.

Unhappy with Nissan
By Erin on 12/22/08 18:23 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first Nissan and I have been very disappointed with the car. The brakes rotors and all went at 40,000, I have replaced the tires all the way around twice Nissan told me that the tires that they put on the car were garbage. They recalled the car for the crank shaft sensor and also had to replace the fuel pump. Yesterday, I noticed it was leaking a small amount of antifreeze. I am looking into buying a Honda or Toyota within the next week, I am afraid that this car is going to be a money pit.

Great Car
By Mike on 12/09/08 09:33 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Altima since 2005 and have put over 82,000 miles on it since then, and I'm proud to say it runs just as good now as the day I bought it. The 4-cyl engine has plenty of power, and the ride provides the perfect balance between comfort and sporty handling. I love how roomy the car is front and back, and all of the trunk space comes in handy. Some people complain about the growly engine but I kind of like it. The Altima is also excellent on gas, partly thanks to the 20 gallon fuel tank. The interior is comfortable and all of the materials are good quality. Mine has the convenience package which includes some nice features, especially the sporty 16'' alloy rims.

Poor
By altima2.5s on 12/05/08 03:01 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car and less than 200 miles and the transmission does not want to shift out of park, The interior brake light will only come on when the shifter wants to come out of park. The exterior brake lights come on but thats not the problem, the transmission can be released by a pushing a key into the key release slot. But its definitely a hassle to have to have to put a key in there every time to shift into a different position. And that's what the dealership told me to do.

Great Car!
By Trey on 11/29/08 13:12 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my '05 Altima for about 6 months now, and I love it. It's very fun to drive and very sporty. I have a 2.5 SL which includes leather seats, moonroof/sunroof, and Bose stereo system. I would definitely recommend the Altima for anyone who wants a 4-door sedan but yet something sporty.

Fun Car
By Kuu'ipo on 11/25/08 09:16 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for not too long, but so far I love it. The only problem I've had was the battery dying, but that was not the car's fault. Whoever put in the battery put it in wrong. After the battery was put in properly, has been running perfectly fine. This thing is only a 4 cyl yet has a lot of power to it and corners like a dream. My mom has a maxima and it has horrible turning radius, the Altima is a little better but could be improved. It is really responsive. Everyone complains that the car is too noisy, but I love the noise it makes it sound beefy, I even want an exhaust on it.

Do not buy
By yoly22 on 11/03/08 13:58 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been the biggest headache. It has been in the dealer since the date I purchased it. I have maintained the vehicle and for some reason Nissan has not recalled the crank shift sensor. The car has turned off on me while driving the car.It has happened to me on the expressway which was very scary. A month ago my car was at the dealer for this same exact reason I was informed it should not happen anymore now my car is back in the dealer. Such a big safety issue being overlooked.

I'm gonna miss my Altima
By bigmommajo on 10/26/08 17:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

By far, the most comfortable car I have ever owned, sturdy, large enough for family, yet great fuel economy at the same time. Car totaled this week when dump truck hit me going 60 mph, the car took one heck of a beating but I came out alive. I am so going to miss this car, I will be back in the market for another Altima.