Used 2005 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Love My Altima
By nikki157

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my altima with 1 mile on it, and that was my test drive. I have not had any problems out of it. In fact cannot ever remember it being in the shop for other than an oil change and new tires. I drive about 75-100 miles per day and get great gas mileage. I have taken this car on numerous road trips without even thinking twice. It has 160K miles on it now and still runs like the day I pulled it off the lot. Car is super cute and makes you feel like a million bucks driving it, love the looks it gets going down the road. And who says family sedans aren't sporty and a blast to drive?

acceleration and sporty look, car is fun to drive and handles very well.

can't really think of anything that could make it better

Very reliable car
By Joe D

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

A spacious, reliable, and economical car. I bought it pre-owned with 25k, it now has 90k and has cost me next to nothing to maintain beside mandatory maintenance (oil changes, tires, etc.).

Legroom, trunk space, speakers, fuel economy, LOW maintenance.

This is a very practical and reliable car but not one for performance. Then again I have the 175 hp 2.5S, Iím sure the 3.5 250 hp is much quicker and due to the v6, makes less noise on the highway. Including tip-tonic would make this a far more fun and easier car to drive especially in the snow

Fun Car
By Dreese

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I owned this car for over 2 years, and can't really complain. For a 4 cyl, this car rips. Passing IS NOT a problem. It gets 26-30 mpg and I romp on the gas frequently. Other than a few stone chips, the ext is in great condition. The wheels, hub caps and steel rims should be outlawed. The brakes are the only thing that has given me problems. I've noticed other owners making the same comment. Nissan needs to improve the breaks. The interior looks a little cheap, but it is comfortable, very roomy, and has held up very good. I prefer my Altima over my Xterra in < 4" of snow. After hearing from friends and family about the problems with their "big 3" car, I know I made a great decision!

Very quick, handles good, comfortable and roomy interior, folding rear seats, low profile.

Needs better brakes! Slight road noise. Ignition acts up from time to time. sometimes it turns over right away, other times it takes 5 to 10 seconds.

Time Reveals Reliability
By SmarterNow

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've previously owned 4 Nissans. Had balky starting problem/engine miss caused by 2 oil clogged crankshaft and camshaft sensors. Recall reprograms ECM to address safety concerns (of sudden power loss) rather than starting /missing problems. I replaced sensors myself to avoid $300 to dealer. Odometer 64K. Must now watch oil consumption for signs of disintegrating catalytic converters that cause $6000 destruction of engine. 2.5 engine also susceptible to blown head gasket/leaking coolant into cylinders. Nissan (dealers/Corporate) blame irrelevant oil maintenance to avoid reimbursing owners. Many, many complaints on Edmunds website. I'll be looking elsewhere for another brand.

Altima is a fun car to drive. Responsive and peppy.

Voluntary recall to inspect/replace pre-Catalytic converter to prevent breakup of converter contents from clogging 2nd cat and blowing material back into engine causing its destruction. Federal emission warranty covers up to 80,000 miles on cat converters. NHTSA should require mandatory recall.

Very Disappointed
By cindy

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new and it did great until I hit the 4th year and then everything fell apart on it. I have had to replace both sensors $400.00 then the transmission went that was another $4000.00, six months later the tranny mounts. and the engine mounts. and the Alt. another $900.00, I really love this car as far as style, gas mileage, but everything else, forget it. I had always bought American cars and always had problems so I thought I would buy a Nissan and I wouldn't have to worry, I will never buy another Nissan again, and by the way none of these items were covered.