Used 2005 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Fun Car
By Dreese

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I owned this car for over 2 years, and can't really complain. For a 4 cyl, this car rips. Passing IS NOT a problem. It gets 26-30 mpg and I romp on the gas frequently. Other than a few stone chips, the ext is in great condition. The wheels, hub caps and steel rims should be outlawed. The brakes are the only thing that has given me problems. I've noticed other owners making the same comment. Nissan needs to improve the breaks. The interior looks a little cheap, but it is comfortable, very roomy, and has held up very good. I prefer my Altima over my Xterra in < 4" of snow. After hearing from friends and family about the problems with their "big 3" car, I know I made a great decision!

Favorite Features

Very quick, handles good, comfortable and roomy interior, folding rear seats, low profile.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better brakes! Slight road noise. Ignition acts up from time to time. sometimes it turns over right away, other times it takes 5 to 10 seconds.

Time Reveals Reliability
By SmarterNow

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've previously owned 4 Nissans. Had balky starting problem/engine miss caused by 2 oil clogged crankshaft and camshaft sensors. Recall reprograms ECM to address safety concerns (of sudden power loss) rather than starting /missing problems. I replaced sensors myself to avoid $300 to dealer. Odometer 64K. Must now watch oil consumption for signs of disintegrating catalytic converters that cause $6000 destruction of engine. 2.5 engine also susceptible to blown head gasket/leaking coolant into cylinders. Nissan (dealers/Corporate) blame irrelevant oil maintenance to avoid reimbursing owners. Many, many complaints on Edmunds website. I'll be looking elsewhere for another brand.

Favorite Features

Altima is a fun car to drive. Responsive and peppy.

Suggested Improvements

Voluntary recall to inspect/replace pre-Catalytic converter to prevent breakup of converter contents from clogging 2nd cat and blowing material back into engine causing its destruction. Federal emission warranty covers up to 80,000 miles on cat converters. NHTSA should require mandatory recall.

Very Disappointed
By cindy

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new and it did great until I hit the 4th year and then everything fell apart on it. I have had to replace both sensors $400.00 then the transmission went that was another $4000.00, six months later the tranny mounts. and the engine mounts. and the Alt. another $900.00, I really love this car as far as style, gas mileage, but everything else, forget it. I had always bought American cars and always had problems so I thought I would buy a Nissan and I wouldn't have to worry, I will never buy another Nissan again, and by the way none of these items were covered.

nissan 05
By s-somarriba

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I got my Nissan with zero miles so far in the past five years I somehow put 184 thousand miles. Have been everywhere in California, very good on gas. At 140 thousand miles four sensors went out do to factory defect after Nissan preformed the recall I have had no problem other than a speeding ticket. Overall an awesome car probably can still get another 200 thousand miles before I get another car.

Favorite Features

Butt warmer comes in handy when it is winter. And of course the Bose surround sound.

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice if it had a AUX input and Bluetooth other than that it needs no improvment.

I love my 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R
By Zack

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this car. It has style, it has performance, it's economically feasible, and it is also reliable. The BOSE sound system is awesome. The red and black leather is totally unique. I feel like I am driving a German sports car rather than your typical Japanese mid-sized sedan. I bought this car right when it came out when it had zero miles on it, and now it has around 68,000 miles, and I have had zero problems with it. I plan on driving this car till the day it dies, which I do not think will be anytime soon. Thanks Nissan, you can pat yourselves on the back for making the 2005 Altima SE-R!

Favorite Features

The acceleration and performance. The red/black leather. The awesome sound system. The cruise control. Satellite radio. Truck space and fold down back seat. Sun roof. Heated seats. MPG/Oil/Electric gauges. Center consul. Spacious interior. Stock 18' rims. Dual exhaust. Headlights. Keyless entry.

Suggested Improvements

AC requires a lot and frequent change of coolant. Break pads go by quickly. Needs retractable side mirrors. Nothing else! This is the most reliable car I have every owned and ever will own. Every time I turn the key, the engines starts; and thats all that really matters to me in a car. Go nissan!