2005 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Follow-up After 2 Years: Still Good
By David K on 01/29/10 02:10 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

It has been two years since I bought my used Altima, and I'm not loving it any less. Mileage is now at 73K and the car is asking for new brakes and shocks soon. Also, strangely, a motor mount bushing cracked. A few annoyances: Turning radius is too large, brake interlock in auto trans. clicks loudly when coming to a stop, and sometimes hard 1-2 downshifts. Now that I have the bad out of the way, none of the above prevents me from endorsing this car. Car is still comfy, stylish and sporting. Beyond one trim piece cracking, materials quality is satisfactory.

Engine Won't Last
By Rob on 01/24/10 21:09 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Loved driving the 3.5SE...for four years and 67,000 miles. Then the timing chain began whining. Nissan covered the $2,400 repair since it was a known issue (see Technical Service Bulletin). 8 months and 12,000 miles later, I noticed my oil level was low. Seeing no leaks, I tracked the oil level over the next couple of months. At 89,000 miles, dealer determined that engine was burning 1 1/2 quarts of oil every 1,000 miles! Offered to replace engine for $6,600 my cost. Nissan refuses assistance since they already took care of timing chain (to me, kind of irrelevant now). This on a car with all scheduled maintenance receipts. Better have an extended warranty or dump car before it's junk.

Unsatisfied after 3 years
By Steven on 01/01/10 15:37 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just traded in my Altima after 3 years and 57,000 miles because of a few fairly large issues in my opinion: 1) Loud Road Noise 2) Rough ride over bumps 3) Replaced front breaks at 35,000 miles 4) Replaced back breaks at 45,000 miles 5) Replaced bent rim at 35,000 miles 6) Replaced battery at 56,000 miles 7) Very wide turning radius If you want a FUN car to drive, this car will do it for you. The 3.5 engine is simply unbelievable. It's also a very attractive car. However, if you're looking for ride quality, steer completely clear of this vehicle because you will be very disappointed.

Not happy with Nissan
By ch on 12/23/09 15:48 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This Nissan will probably be our last. We have had 4 sensors go out, the shifter assembly went out and needed to be replaced, the brake rotors were warped when we picked the car up new from the dealer. This car has been nothing but problems.

go get one
By IL0VEIT on 09/21/09 01:06 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Nissan altima last month for only $4500 from a private owner.... It had 157,000 miles on the odometer, but it still has a value of $10,000-its a 2.5sl with all the extras.. It has a Bose sound system, spoiler, leather, heated seats, sunroof... The whole package and I love it, its very powerful and the air and heat works perfect, I would definitely recommend someone to purchase a altima

Another Great NISSAN
By ruski1987 on 09/13/09 20:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Researching cars and engines, I decided to buy a Nissan. Didn't like the blown-up Maxima so I bought the Altime 3.5 SE. Great acceleration when manually shift it (5 speed automatic) goes 0-60 in 5.5 seconds with slightly modified engine (performance intake).Gas mileage is good too (19-20 city, 29-30 highway with 93 octane). After rebuilding an older Maxima, I realized you get the most quality and performance for your money with Nissan. Nissan has a great luxury line of autos (Infiniti) especially the G3 5.

It's Been A Great Car So Far!
By rhcpgirlaji on 07/02/09 10:56 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

The only major thing I'd change would be that I would have gotten the 6-speed manual rather than the 5-speed automatic, but that wasn't my choice. Of course, there are some minor annoyances, but overall it's a fantastically fun, yet practical, sedan to own.

My 2.5 S w/ Conv. Package
By Lynz on 06/22/09 18:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 05 in Jan. of 05 with 60 miles on it - today I have 99500! And it is still going strong, it does have road noise, and i find that it doesn't ride all that smooth. I had a battery problem 3 winters in a Row - Nissan replaced the battery each time - nothing really determined except needed new battery. I agree, tires from Nissan are awful on set # 3 (first 2 from Nissan) and need new brakes/rotors - GREAT gas mileage approx. 425 miles per tank! I do alot of highway driving...Wonder how much longer it will last?

BEST PURCHASE I'VE EVER MADE!
By HiltonHamptonGirl on 06/22/09 00:33 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car literally rocks my socks. I have fallen in love with Nissans. By far the best made car I have ever owned. Went from a Mazda6 to a Buick Rendezvous and now this Nissan. Very clean and reliable car. Have a blast driving it! Plenty of room for my 7month old daughter and all her belongings. Who says you have to get a mini van after you have a child!?! NISSAN IS THE BEST!!! As well as their luxury end of vehicles (Infinity). Wonderful performance.

Will Never Leave Nissan
By fpento on 05/23/09 08:14 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

After many hours of reviews, I decided to purchase the 3.5 Altima. With the added HP and the spacious room ... baby on the way ... I couldn't go wrong. The car's a bullet! Gotta love that award winning V6. Almost a year into ownership and nothing has gone wrong. When it's time to replace this, there will have to be something special out there for me to get something different that an Altima!