Used 2005 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

8 years old, 148,000 miles, still happy
By ronrn

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5SE was the first NEW car I ever purchased, having only purchased used cars before. I have been very pleased with the car. I now have around 148,000 miles on the car and it is still running strong. I have not had any major problems. I have gone through the original set of tires and replaced the tires twice and need to go get new tires again. I first needed the rear brake pads changed at around 100,000 miles. The front pads needed changing for the first time at about 130,000 miles. I'm not sure how long I'll continue driving this before buying a new vehicle; earlier this year we replaced my wife's car with 2013 Ford Explorer (fully loaded Limited), happy with it too.

Favorite Features

I like the acceleration and the manual over-ride of the automatic transmission. I often drive my car like a racing car, downshifting to get that extra oomph. I tend to downshift to assist with slowing down; probably partially to thank for brakes lasting over 100,000 miles. Even though the navigation system is not the greatest, I'm still glad I have it. 2005 was the first year navigation was in the Altima and unfortunately, the data Nissan chose to go with for map information was very flawed. With the first map disc, I was often driving in "no-man's land"... where it didn't even know I was on a street, despite homes being on the street for nearly 10 years. I had to pay for an upgrade.

Suggested Improvements

Original map data very poor and had to pay around $100 for an update to get usable map data.

Expensive but fun.
By seth16

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car for about a year now. I have both ups & downs with it. First of all, it is a extremely fun car to drive...the 3.5L engine is amazing, very powerful. Faster then most sports cars under $30,000. The interior overall is good, the seats are soft and comfy. It IS NOT squishy in the back, lots of leg room. Only flaws are the knobs, they seem very big and bulky. The ride is smooth when going fast, but when going slow it feels rough in general. I think the car is very good looking, has a sport look too it. I have put around $3,000 in the car for repairs in the last year. ABS brakes were broken, steering problems, new battery & O2 sensors. NO engine problems yet.

Favorite Features

Interior & exterior style. POWER! ( love the 3.5L engine).

Suggested Improvements

Repairs are overall more expensive then for example Chevy. Road noise on the highway.

2005 Nissan 2.5 S Automatic
By m_z

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

- This was the roomiest car I've ever really fit into as my previous cars, in order, were: Civic, Corolla then Passat (leased) and my first w/auto transmission. - Bought car in Sept. 2005 used with 20,001 miles on it. Found out it was previously owned by Enterprise Rental, but warranty was almost used up hence price ~6k below retail cost! - Had to buy an extended 3yr. warranty which paid itself off later. Then bought another final ext. warranty for an add. 3 yrs. later. - After many repairs years later, it still works but isn't that fuel efficient, 23/27 city/hwy but winter brings it down to 18/24 city. - Too many repairs now so won't consider another Nissan >:(

Favorite Features

It's relatively roomy... That's it!

Suggested Improvements

- Wrote in-depth online review elsewhere and graded the car a "C" and contacted Nissan about it. Typical canned response which showed it didn't care! - Newer version ~2007-2012 model which supposedly appears to have "fixed" the problems in my other review. - Too many repairs needed. - Problems with rust and steering/vibrations!! - Continental tires S@CK! Replace all 4 tires! - Good for warm NOT cold driving conditions! - Auto. transmission still "seeking" best gears to use so shifting not so good esp. at low speeds :( - Will keep until warranty runs out so hopefully I've saved enough to trade it in for a "better" car. - Just keep working w/no problems! - No more Nissans :(

Got screwed by Nissan again
By nissancrap

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2005 altima SE 3.5 with 80K miles. It was a fun car to begin with and plenty of power and torque for a $25,000 car. But I had spent more monies on this crap even more than my 2002 BMW. I ran into the timing chain tensioner guide cracking issue @40K miles which I was lucky it still covered warranty. Many owners were not so lucky but have to pay close to $2,000 after warranty expired. But after Premier Nissan at Fremont, CA fixed it, the air conditioning stopped working. Took it back to Sunnyvale Nissan to get it fixed again. The car interior had some strange rattling sounds which the dealers thought it came from the dash panels and never able to eliminate it.

Favorite Features

3.5 L engine and 249lb of torque. Roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

Lots of over-steers. Changed the stock shocks and spring to KYB and Eibach Pro spring, much better and less over-steers. Front brake disc often warped. VQ35DE engine commonly have timing chain tensioner guide cracked may cost $2,000 to fix, Nissan should accept responsibility as design flaws to do recalls. Engine rattling may due to aging spark plugs at 70 ~ 80K miles. Most dealers at bay area california have poor services and only Nissan Sunnyvale is at acceptable level. Definitely stay away from Premier Nissan at Fremont, CA. they will just rip you off and being rude if they can't fix the problem. Stay away from Nissan at all cost, GM cars are even better built.

2005 Altima 3.5se 5spd
By rwouell1

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love love love this car. I bought it new in 2005 and have almost 92000 on it now. The 3.5 with a 5spd is a rocket ship. Love to pull up next to sport coupes and blow there door off. I have only had to change the breaks and put new tires on it. It has been to the shop twice for repair work. Once for a rear suspension recall and once to replace something in the steering system which had rusted out. Over all would buy another except for the fact that you can no longer get a v6 stick shift sedan anymore. Only wish the car had come with abs and side airbags. Might actually trade it in for a mazda.

Favorite Features

Body design and powertrain.

Suggested Improvements

Wish they had made abs and airbags standard in 05.