Used 2005 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

AVOID THE 2.5L, You'll love the 3.5L
By caseyh1

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Nissan quality has went down hill since the 90's. The 2002 -2005 2.5L commonly has the head gasket go bad, before 100k miles. Mine went at 98k miles. If you pay someone it will cost you $1,600. Also it is possible that the forward catalytic converter will go bad, blow debris into your cylinders, and ruin them. WIth cloth seats, the drivers seat is rock hard. The seat doesn't support my thighs, causes pain. The Altima is supposed to ride stiffer and sportier than other cars, but on a really bumpy road it is just torture. The throttle is touchy it just lurches forward in stop and go traffic, I have to put the automatic into 1st or 2nd so I don't get whiplash. Wind noise on sunroof.

Nice looking on the outside and inside. Powerful, very good acceleration, spacious interior and trunk.

The last Nissan I will ever own.
By jalaniz4116

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Nissan Altima new, and it has been a big burden. I had the car for a month when the transmission went out. I wish I was joking. The dealership took care of the problem pretty promptly. The Cam-shaft sensors went out, so the car would just stop on me at a low rates of speed. As one could imagine, it was not very safe due to that reason. I have had to replace 3 alternators. 3 of them!!!!!! I have had to replace all the motor mounts & the breaks way too often. After a year, I never felt safe in taking the Altima out of town.

Roomy

They can improve just about everything.

8 years old, 148,000 miles, still happy
By ronrn

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5SE was the first NEW car I ever purchased, having only purchased used cars before. I have been very pleased with the car. I now have around 148,000 miles on the car and it is still running strong. I have not had any major problems. I have gone through the original set of tires and replaced the tires twice and need to go get new tires again. I first needed the rear brake pads changed at around 100,000 miles. The front pads needed changing for the first time at about 130,000 miles. I'm not sure how long I'll continue driving this before buying a new vehicle; earlier this year we replaced my wife's car with 2013 Ford Explorer (fully loaded Limited), happy with it too.

I like the acceleration and the manual over-ride of the automatic transmission. I often drive my car like a racing car, downshifting to get that extra oomph. I tend to downshift to assist with slowing down; probably partially to thank for brakes lasting over 100,000 miles. Even though the navigation system is not the greatest, I'm still glad I have it. 2005 was the first year navigation was in the Altima and unfortunately, the data Nissan chose to go with for map information was very flawed. With the first map disc, I was often driving in "no-man's land"... where it didn't even know I was on a street, despite homes being on the street for nearly 10 years. I had to pay for an upgrade.

Original map data very poor and had to pay around $100 for an update to get usable map data.

Expensive but fun.
By seth16

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car for about a year now. I have both ups & downs with it. First of all, it is a extremely fun car to drive...the 3.5L engine is amazing, very powerful. Faster then most sports cars under $30,000. The interior overall is good, the seats are soft and comfy. It IS NOT squishy in the back, lots of leg room. Only flaws are the knobs, they seem very big and bulky. The ride is smooth when going fast, but when going slow it feels rough in general. I think the car is very good looking, has a sport look too it. I have put around $3,000 in the car for repairs in the last year. ABS brakes were broken, steering problems, new battery & O2 sensors. NO engine problems yet.

Interior & exterior style. POWER! ( love the 3.5L engine).

Repairs are overall more expensive then for example Chevy. Road noise on the highway.

2005 Nissan 2.5 S Automatic
By m_z

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

- This was the roomiest car I've ever really fit into as my previous cars, in order, were: Civic, Corolla then Passat (leased) and my first w/auto transmission. - Bought car in Sept. 2005 used with 20,001 miles on it. Found out it was previously owned by Enterprise Rental, but warranty was almost used up hence price ~6k below retail cost! - Had to buy an extended 3yr. warranty which paid itself off later. Then bought another final ext. warranty for an add. 3 yrs. later. - After many repairs years later, it still works but isn't that fuel efficient, 23/27 city/hwy but winter brings it down to 18/24 city. - Too many repairs now so won't consider another Nissan >:(

It's relatively roomy... That's it!

- Wrote in-depth online review elsewhere and graded the car a "C" and contacted Nissan about it. Typical canned response which showed it didn't care! - Newer version ~2007-2012 model which supposedly appears to have "fixed" the problems in my other review. - Too many repairs needed. - Problems with rust and steering/vibrations!! - Continental tires S@CK! Replace all 4 tires! - Good for warm NOT cold driving conditions! - Auto. transmission still "seeking" best gears to use so shifting not so good esp. at low speeds :( - Will keep until warranty runs out so hopefully I've saved enough to trade it in for a "better" car. - Just keep working w/no problems! - No more Nissans :(