2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
I love my Altima!
By TN Driver on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Altima used with 17k miles on it to replace a smaller car that had been wrecked. I wasn't sure about a 4 door family sedan (always had been a "coupe" lady), but I needed something I could haul grandchildren in. It is fun to drive and I love the slightly aggressive lines. My teenage son said "Mom, this is the coolest car!" It has the 2.5l 4-cyl engine, & while the pep from the 6-cyl would be cool at times, I don't want to give up the fuel economy the 4-cyl has.

I love my nissan!
By navypolice on 09/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Nissan. I'll just get that one out of the way. For a 2.5/175 hp it's got some giddy up and go. It handles pretty well. I wish it didn't have as much roll when I'm taking tight turns. I wish it had more hp. And I wish it had a nice system, but I installed that. But I'm used to BMW and Mercedes-Benz.

Run from it like your head is on fire
By KarenMarie on 08/18/10 13:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the best looking piece of crap on the road. As a highway driver I don't brake much. Curious as to why I had to get new rear brakes at 20k which was just over a year and that was just the start, lost count of my brake jobs. I've had to replace the steering rack, wheel hub, under carriage parts, tie rod, front struts, rear shocks, radiator: within the first 12 months, battery and alternator. And that is just the major repairs. I've lost track of the nuisance repairs. They claim there are no leaks and yet I put oil in it every couple of months. My extended warranty paid for itself many times over. My parting thoughts: Run, run from the Altima like your head is on fire.

Love My Altima
By nikki157 on 07/01/10 17:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my altima with 1 mile on it, and that was my test drive. I have not had any problems out of it. In fact cannot ever remember it being in the shop for other than an oil change and new tires. I drive about 75-100 miles per day and get great gas mileage. I have taken this car on numerous road trips without even thinking twice. It has 160K miles on it now and still runs like the day I pulled it off the lot. Car is super cute and makes you feel like a million bucks driving it, love the looks it gets going down the road. And who says family sedans aren't sporty and a blast to drive?

Very reliable car
By Joe D on 06/26/10 20:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

A spacious, reliable, and economical car. I bought it pre-owned with 25k, it now has 90k and has cost me next to nothing to maintain beside mandatory maintenance (oil changes, tires, etc.).

Fun Car
By Dreese on 06/06/10 11:56 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I owned this car for over 2 years, and can't really complain. For a 4 cyl, this car rips. Passing IS NOT a problem. It gets 26-30 mpg and I romp on the gas frequently. Other than a few stone chips, the ext is in great condition. The wheels, hub caps and steel rims should be outlawed. The brakes are the only thing that has given me problems. I've noticed other owners making the same comment. Nissan needs to improve the breaks. The interior looks a little cheap, but it is comfortable, very roomy, and has held up very good. I prefer my Altima over my Xterra in < 4" of snow. After hearing from friends and family about the problems with their "big 3" car, I know I made a great decision!

Time Reveals Reliability
By SmarterNow on 05/06/10 00:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've previously owned 4 Nissans. Had balky starting problem/engine miss caused by 2 oil clogged crankshaft and camshaft sensors. Recall reprograms ECM to address safety concerns (of sudden power loss) rather than starting /missing problems. I replaced sensors myself to avoid $300 to dealer. Odometer 64K. Must now watch oil consumption for signs of disintegrating catalytic converters that cause $6000 destruction of engine. 2.5 engine also susceptible to blown head gasket/leaking coolant into cylinders. Nissan (dealers/Corporate) blame irrelevant oil maintenance to avoid reimbursing owners. Many, many complaints on Edmunds website. I'll be looking elsewhere for another brand.

Very Disappointed
By cindy on 05/01/10 08:06 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new and it did great until I hit the 4th year and then everything fell apart on it. I have had to replace both sensors $400.00 then the transmission went that was another $4000.00, six months later the tranny mounts. and the engine mounts. and the Alt. another $900.00, I really love this car as far as style, gas mileage, but everything else, forget it. I had always bought American cars and always had problems so I thought I would buy a Nissan and I wouldn't have to worry, I will never buy another Nissan again, and by the way none of these items were covered.

nissan 05
By s-somarriba on 04/24/10 22:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I got my Nissan with zero miles so far in the past five years I somehow put 184 thousand miles. Have been everywhere in California, very good on gas. At 140 thousand miles four sensors went out do to factory defect after Nissan preformed the recall I have had no problem other than a speeding ticket. Overall an awesome car probably can still get another 200 thousand miles before I get another car.

I love my 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R
By Zack on 04/16/10 14:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this car. It has style, it has performance, it's economically feasible, and it is also reliable. The BOSE sound system is awesome. The red and black leather is totally unique. I feel like I am driving a German sports car rather than your typical Japanese mid-sized sedan. I bought this car right when it came out when it had zero miles on it, and now it has around 68,000 miles, and I have had zero problems with it. I plan on driving this car till the day it dies, which I do not think will be anytime soon. Thanks Nissan, you can pat yourselves on the back for making the 2005 Altima SE-R!