Used 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

2005 Altima 3.5se 5spd
By rwouell1

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love love love this car. I bought it new in 2005 and have almost 92000 on it now. The 3.5 with a 5spd is a rocket ship. Love to pull up next to sport coupes and blow there door off. I have only had to change the breaks and put new tires on it. It has been to the shop twice for repair work. Once for a rear suspension recall and once to replace something in the steering system which had rusted out. Over all would buy another except for the fact that you can no longer get a v6 stick shift sedan anymore. Only wish the car had come with abs and side airbags. Might actually trade it in for a mazda.

Favorite Features

Body design and powertrain.

Suggested Improvements

Wish they had made abs and airbags standard in 05.

Simply Wicked!
By Fobroader

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand spanking new in 05. Drove the 4 cylinder Then drove the v6. The 4 is pathetic, this car is a rocket. Had to get the 5spd manual because an automatic is just wrong when paired to a vq35de engine. Stock tires were absolute garbage, all seasons on a 250 horse car? The 6 pack changer had to be replaced under warranty. Floor mats wore right through under gas and clutch pedal. Great car, highly recommend the v6 model to everyone. Drive a manual before you buy the automatic to see how amazing this car can be. I've got about 60,000 miles on mine and its been bulletproof.

Favorite Features

V6, Bose Stereo, Heated Leather seats, sunroof, comfortable seats, exterior looks, great headlights

Suggested Improvements

Definitely needs a limited slip. Aux and USB plug should have been standard. Stock Bridgstone Turanzas garbage. Floor mats need to be better. Easier to change headlight bulbs. Throatier exhaust and intake. Make brembos optional on non SE-R models.

Engine Won't Last
By Rob

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Loved driving the 3.5SE...for four years and 67,000 miles. Then the timing chain began whining. Nissan covered the $2,400 repair since it was a known issue (see Technical Service Bulletin). 8 months and 12,000 miles later, I noticed my oil level was low. Seeing no leaks, I tracked the oil level over the next couple of months. At 89,000 miles, dealer determined that engine was burning 1 1/2 quarts of oil every 1,000 miles! Offered to replace engine for $6,600 my cost. Nissan refuses assistance since they already took care of timing chain (to me, kind of irrelevant now). This on a car with all scheduled maintenance receipts. Better have an extended warranty or dump car before it's junk.

Favorite Features

Styling, ride, performance, roominess.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the engine. Improve turning radius.

Another Great NISSAN
By ruski1987

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Researching cars and engines, I decided to buy a Nissan. Didn't like the blown-up Maxima so I bought the Altime 3.5 SE. Great acceleration when manually shift it (5 speed automatic) goes 0-60 in 5.5 seconds with slightly modified engine (performance intake).Gas mileage is good too (19-20 city, 29-30 highway with 93 octane). After rebuilding an older Maxima, I realized you get the most quality and performance for your money with Nissan. Nissan has a great luxury line of autos (Infiniti) especially the G3 5.

Favorite Features

Great motor and transmission, excellent speedometer/tachometer setup, 5 speed automatic can be manually shifted. Great interior styling. Mine came with the great looking side skirts and rims

Suggested Improvements

I replaced the stock exhaust tips with bigger, sportier looking tips that match the bumper lot better

Will Never Leave Nissan
By fpento

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

After many hours of reviews, I decided to purchase the 3.5 Altima. With the added HP and the spacious room ... baby on the way ... I couldn't go wrong. The car's a bullet! Gotta love that award winning V6. Almost a year into ownership and nothing has gone wrong. When it's time to replace this, there will have to be something special out there for me to get something different that an Altima!

Favorite Features

Wonderful engine, lots of room

Suggested Improvements

Hard to see radio in daylight, garage door opener won't record my door opener, navigation maybe?