Used 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE-R Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Fantastic car
By kchubs

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car a year and a half ago. It served me well. The only issue was that the clutch would drop a bit once and a while, but never hindered my driving. I added an iPod player to the bose sound system and it worked amazing, never heard anything that sounded so good. And this car loved to be driven hard. 0-100 km/h in just over 6 seconds, and everything was stock. Take turns hard and it would continue to grip. Suspension is harder than a normal 3.5, so ride was a bit rougher with semi-bald tires, but smooth with good tires. The car was also rolled into the ditch off the highway, side airbags went off, not front (which was good). My wife walked out of the car. This was a great car!

Favorite Features

The tires/rims, the awesome headlights, sunroof, leather interior, the speed and power of the engine, manual transmission, 6th gear was great on freeways, at least 800 km per tank using premium fuel, sound system, reliable, A LOT OF ROOM! I'm 6'3" and fit in the back seat with lots of room to spare.

Suggested Improvements

Clutch dropped once and a while, no big deal, just inconvenient at times. Parts of the interior felt like cheap plastic, but nothing broke.

It's Been A Great Car So Far!
By rhcpgirlaji

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

The only major thing I'd change would be that I would have gotten the 6-speed manual rather than the 5-speed automatic, but that wasn't my choice. Of course, there are some minor annoyances, but overall it's a fantastically fun, yet practical, sedan to own.

Favorite Features

You actually have some control in the "manual mode" of the 5-speed automatic transmission model (meaning it won't automatically upshift for you, but it will downshift if needed); Accelerates like mad; Stability & control are great; Trunk space is great and seats fold down; Excellent highway mileage

Suggested Improvements

Much noisier than the 1996 Maxima I owned prior to this car; The A/C vents could use more motion/directional control; Defrost does little to combat fog, especially in humid conditions; Rearview mirrors don't fold/are rigid; So low to the ground that brick roads and speedbumps assault you a bit.

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE-R
By SE-R Fanatic

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car at a large auto auction. I was looking for a 2005 Altima SE or Maxima SE. Came across this one and fell in love with its design. This car has it all for a stock 4-door sedan. The gas mileage is okay, I am averaging 21 MPG, but that is probably due to the fact that this car wants to be driven hard. This car will flat out fly. I had to by the automatic b/c the wife refuses to learn a manual. The ride quality of this car is good, but not great. This is due to the 18 inch low profile wheels and super stiff sport suspension. This is not your grandpa's Caddy. Bottom line, I would buy this over the competition. Nissan is making some of the best cars on the road.

Favorite Features

Performance, handling, braking, nice Bose stereo. Roomy 4-door sports car, if there is such a thing.

Suggested Improvements

Stiff ride, but that's expected. Road noise due to larger low profiles, iPod integration, slight improvement of interior plastics on door panels.

2005 Nissan Altima SE-R
By David Davis

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car is great! The way it looks and drives makes it the best sporty car I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

Exterior look and the sport comfortable inside.

Suggested Improvements

Need to improve on the brakes. I've had my rotors turned down at 25,000 miles because of shaking when braking at high speeds. Better floor mats and gas mileage.

Love my SE-R!!
By GVUCRDT

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this car for a few weeks, put a few thousand miles on it already, and love it! I had a '97 Altima (still have) w/ 173000 miles, I expect the same from this. The only problem is that my old favorite windy roads are now boring in the SE-R, I need to find more challanging roads! Oh wait, guess that's not really a problem is it?

Favorite Features

Love the aggressive styling, the power, and oh yeah, the power! For a family sedan to behave like a sports car, it's a thrill!