Used 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

9-year Review
By romans10nine

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S, White with Black interior, 5-speed manual. Purchased new in October, 2004. Current mileage: 68,000. I have only needed one repair, and that was a crankshaft positioning sensor, which was discovered by the service engine light coming on. I have used Mobile 1 full synthetic from the beginning. The car literally drives like new.

Favorite Features

Styling still looks great 9 years later. Reliability is great, still handles and feels like new. Interior still looks like new so the materials must be high quality.

Suggested Improvements

The original Continental tires had terrible traction. My second set were Goodyear Triple Treds and now I have Michelin Defenders. Both of these tires are great. Wish it had Traction Control and ABS.

Time Reveals Reliability
By SmarterNow

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've previously owned 4 Nissans. Had balky starting problem/engine miss caused by 2 oil clogged crankshaft and camshaft sensors. Recall reprograms ECM to address safety concerns (of sudden power loss) rather than starting /missing problems. I replaced sensors myself to avoid $300 to dealer. Odometer 64K. Must now watch oil consumption for signs of disintegrating catalytic converters that cause $6000 destruction of engine. 2.5 engine also susceptible to blown head gasket/leaking coolant into cylinders. Nissan (dealers/Corporate) blame irrelevant oil maintenance to avoid reimbursing owners. Many, many complaints on Edmunds website. I'll be looking elsewhere for another brand.

Favorite Features

Altima is a fun car to drive. Responsive and peppy.

Suggested Improvements

Voluntary recall to inspect/replace pre-Catalytic converter to prevent breakup of converter contents from clogging 2nd cat and blowing material back into engine causing its destruction. Federal emission warranty covers up to 80,000 miles on cat converters. NHTSA should require mandatory recall.

Easy Ownership
By semaj422000

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used in 2006 with 13k miles on it. Now has over 65k. Has been wrecked 3 times - once fairly seriously (gotta love ATL drivers). Despite that has absolutely no mechanical problems and has never been to the shop for anything other than routine maintenance. I opted for the manual b/c its more fun for me to drive and improves gas mileage. It also has leather (vinyl?) interior. Gets awesome gas mileage and is quite peppy for a 4cyl thanks to the manual tranny. Excellent leg room. Rear passengers are comfy even with the seat all the way back.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission - has a little purr as RPM return to zero. 6 speaker audio system. Steering wheel mounted controls.

Suggested Improvements

None. Its exactly what it should be. There are higher models available for more features.

ALTIMA 05
By sas

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my altima 05 2.5S brand new. Love the look of the car. Very sporty looking. Performance was great until I had approx 34k on the car. Radiator went. Dealership made me pay for radiatior which was over $800K and I had bumper to bumper on car plus extended warranty. Ended up getting my money back when I went to Nissan Headquarters. Changed dealerships for servicing. Check engine light came on at 104K and was told it was the catalyc converter which cost me over $900 to fix it. Needless to say I drove it until I had 145K and traded it in for a 2009 Mitsubishi Galant. Engine too noisy. Overall not a bad car with improvements. Wanted to try something different.

Favorite Features

I like the styling of the car and the road handling especially when u turn corners. Excellent Horsepower.

Suggested Improvements

Fix noisy engine, side view mirrors should fold in. Should have Bose radio in all Nissans. Should give a better warranty.

50k I still like it.
By MMT

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new. It had a strange squeak in front end, dealership eventually found and fixed it. I have had absolutely no mechanical issues w/ the car. I love the power of the 2.5L for the size of the car. I love that it has a big-car-feel when driving but has some economy aspects such as gas mileage. The ride is a little mushy w/ 4 adults, good w/ 2. Interior plastic could be of better quality but, for my experience w/ this car, the engine, size, comfort, fuel economy and price make it more affordable than the accord (which I test drove and found it rode as stiff and bumpy and my sportbike; gut jarring). I am going to sell it because its just that time, but I will miss it very much

Favorite Features

Size, engine power (sometimes I just want to floor it and fly down the freeway), sound system, ride, looks, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality plastics, wider opening from trunk through folded-down back seats.