2005 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
9-year Review
By romans10nine on 01/12/14 19:08 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S, White with Black interior, 5-speed manual. Purchased new in October, 2004. Current mileage: 68,000. I have only needed one repair, and that was a crankshaft positioning sensor, which was discovered by the service engine light coming on. I have used Mobile 1 full synthetic from the beginning. The car literally drives like new.

Time Reveals Reliability
By SmarterNow on 05/06/10 00:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've previously owned 4 Nissans. Had balky starting problem/engine miss caused by 2 oil clogged crankshaft and camshaft sensors. Recall reprograms ECM to address safety concerns (of sudden power loss) rather than starting /missing problems. I replaced sensors myself to avoid $300 to dealer. Odometer 64K. Must now watch oil consumption for signs of disintegrating catalytic converters that cause $6000 destruction of engine. 2.5 engine also susceptible to blown head gasket/leaking coolant into cylinders. Nissan (dealers/Corporate) blame irrelevant oil maintenance to avoid reimbursing owners. Many, many complaints on Edmunds website. I'll be looking elsewhere for another brand.

Easy Ownership
By semaj422000 on 04/10/10 08:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used in 2006 with 13k miles on it. Now has over 65k. Has been wrecked 3 times - once fairly seriously (gotta love ATL drivers). Despite that has absolutely no mechanical problems and has never been to the shop for anything other than routine maintenance. I opted for the manual b/c its more fun for me to drive and improves gas mileage. It also has leather (vinyl?) interior. Gets awesome gas mileage and is quite peppy for a 4cyl thanks to the manual tranny. Excellent leg room. Rear passengers are comfy even with the seat all the way back.

ALTIMA 05
By sas on 05/19/09 12:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my altima 05 2.5S brand new. Love the look of the car. Very sporty looking. Performance was great until I had approx 34k on the car. Radiator went. Dealership made me pay for radiatior which was over $800K and I had bumper to bumper on car plus extended warranty. Ended up getting my money back when I went to Nissan Headquarters. Changed dealerships for servicing. Check engine light came on at 104K and was told it was the catalyc converter which cost me over $900 to fix it. Needless to say I drove it until I had 145K and traded it in for a 2009 Mitsubishi Galant. Engine too noisy. Overall not a bad car with improvements. Wanted to try something different.

50k I still like it.
By MMT on 05/06/09 13:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new. It had a strange squeak in front end, dealership eventually found and fixed it. I have had absolutely no mechanical issues w/ the car. I love the power of the 2.5L for the size of the car. I love that it has a big-car-feel when driving but has some economy aspects such as gas mileage. The ride is a little mushy w/ 4 adults, good w/ 2. Interior plastic could be of better quality but, for my experience w/ this car, the engine, size, comfort, fuel economy and price make it more affordable than the accord (which I test drove and found it rode as stiff and bumpy and my sportbike; gut jarring). I am going to sell it because its just that time, but I will miss it very much

Newbie
By Gary on 04/17/09 18:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car last week and still have the new(used)car love affair. I will keep you posted on its performance. It's kind of scary the number of complaints with the fuel pump. After years of having used cars in there teens, I really hope my newer car purchase is a positive one. By the way, first overseas product ever purchased...don't let me down.

Good Car
By Green Machine on 03/11/09 11:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Altima as a demo with about 3K miles on it and 4.5 yrs later at 110k miles I havent had any trouble with it. I had to replace the battery and the brakes which are normal maintenance. The car is very dependable. When I wash it it shines up just like new!

powerful 2.5!
By car fanatic09' on 03/03/09 07:36 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When we bought this car I underestimated the power to speed ratio. Once I really got to know the car I realized its pretty fast. You notice when you start to go faster the engine has a loud roar to it. Its not quite. Esp are 40 an d above. People will know your coming. Steering is pretty lose. Handles exceptionally well. Hugs corners fine. Responsive time are perfection on a bad day. If this is a 2.5 w 175 hp I wish I had the 260 3.5.

Have the craving to drive every day
By Peter on 01/29/09 15:01 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Having owned this pre-owned Altima for several months now, I can safely say that I'm glad I bought this car. More power, room and economy than my previous car. The car looks great inside and out. No mechanical issues except a fuel-starved engine from parking on an incline (hard start afterwards). Luxury touches like auto windows, trip 'puter and power seat are nice. Overall, no mechanical issues. Some of the coloring/dye in plastic has worn through and leather on steering wheel too. "Wood" trim scratches easily. Nothing deal-breaking: no trim falling off, no significant squeaks or rattles. Fuel econ: 24 city/32 hwy -- 20 gal tank

Great Car
By Mike on 12/09/08 09:33 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Altima since 2005 and have put over 82,000 miles on it since then, and I'm proud to say it runs just as good now as the day I bought it. The 4-cyl engine has plenty of power, and the ride provides the perfect balance between comfort and sporty handling. I love how roomy the car is front and back, and all of the trunk space comes in handy. Some people complain about the growly engine but I kind of like it. The Altima is also excellent on gas, partly thanks to the 20 gallon fuel tank. The interior is comfortable and all of the materials are good quality. Mine has the convenience package which includes some nice features, especially the sporty 16'' alloy rims.