Used 2005 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

The pain of loving a nightmare
By Sarah Elizabeth

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my nissan for 8 yrs and she ran smooth when all was proper but I was one of the unfortunate owners that ran into a bad catalytic converter. Common with this car 02-06. Started with a simple overheating issue. Once the water pump, radiator fans, and thermostat were all replaced it no longer overheated codes read bad crank/cam pos sensor, fuel ratio issue 0420. replaced the sensors, soon followed by a head gasket fix and new valve cover gaskets, played nice for a few months then started misfiring bad again out of nowhere because soon to be diagnosed bad catalytic converter. engine hasn't seized so time to take it apart again and see if it's worth fixing. Total Nightmare.

Favorite Features

The car looks nice inside and out, although the outside is very breakable, Plexiglas. Interior is clean and spacey. Large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Own your mistakes nissan, So many Nissan owners have had this issue with the CAT/Gasket leak. Truly a shame because I've dumped a lot of money into this car maintaining and fixing it. got it at 9,000 and we're at about 160,000 I pray it has more life in it because I love it to death. Most likley the only Nissan I'll ever own though, I'll prob go back to Chevy

Totaled
By ijustdontknow

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had a 2005 Altima for about 2 1/2 years until it was just totaled in September. I loved this car. I had some issues but she would get up and go when I needed her too. I was having to replace some things but I had to remember she was almost 10 years old and had 208,000 miles... it was time. Not sure I would buy another nissan due to the fact during my wreck I received 2nd degree chemical burns from the airbag. I called the main number for Nissan to find out what chemicals in the airbag were, they had to call someone else to find out. A week later they called me back and said they couldn't give out that information to consumers. Really ??? Its a secret?? I went back to a Chevy..

Favorite Features

Body style

Suggested Improvements

Less issues

Very fun car. Reliability can be so-so though.
By ace340

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car used in 2009. I have the 3.5 SE trim with pretty much all available addons. This car is very fast and handles extremely well, its a slick car. Good interior too, although getting a little dated in 2014. Unfortunately my reliability has been so-so and I've had to shell out some expensive repairs. Timing chain, Two O2 sensors, Crankshaft positioning sensor, Catalytic converter (OUCH!). I have 86k miles too, mostly freeway driving. When this car is up and running its a blast to drive, but reliability can be really spotty sometimes. The car does rattle sometimes too when driving, but nothing too alarming with the music on.

Favorite Features

Good looks, very strong acceleration, excellent handling, comfortable interior, roomy!

Suggested Improvements

MPG could be a little better, I get about 25-27 MPG with VERY conservative highway driving. Requires premium gas for best performance. Reliability is suspect sometimes, some rattles in the interior, paint scratches and chips very easily.

Junk
By madnissan

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I beg you please, please, please go look at all of the problems with Nissan Altima on the internet. On a 2005 2.5s there are over 400 Technical Service Bull (TSB). They do not back their products. They have people from the Phillipines trying to answer your questions, you cannot understand them. Never, Never, Never buy a Nissan Product

Favorite Features

None, This is the worse made car I have ever owned in my 51 years on this planet.

Suggested Improvements

Shut Nissan Operations down. Never buy one is the best means to deal with the poor quality.

Best car I have ever owned.
By sheer

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

It really is the best car I have ever owned! I basically just drive it. I bought from a friend six years ago with 50,000 miles. Now I have 276,000 miles on it and all I have done is basic maintenance, struts, and one sensor. It never breaks down. The motor still runs smooth. It's still peppy, though I don't push it like I did when I first bought it. I expect to see well over 300K miles out of this one.

Favorite Features

It's fast and I love the sunroof. The side view mirrors are of good size and I can see well out of them. Not true in all cars.