2005 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Very fun car. Reliability can be so-so though.
By ace340 on 03/22/14 00:36 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car used in 2009. I have the 3.5 SE trim with pretty much all available addons. This car is very fast and handles extremely well, its a slick car. Good interior too, although getting a little dated in 2014. Unfortunately my reliability has been so-so and I've had to shell out some expensive repairs. Timing chain, Two O2 sensors, Crankshaft positioning sensor, Catalytic converter (OUCH!). I have 86k miles too, mostly freeway driving. When this car is up and running its a blast to drive, but reliability can be really spotty sometimes. The car does rattle sometimes too when driving, but nothing too alarming with the music on.

Junk
By madnissan on 03/20/14 16:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I beg you please, please, please go look at all of the problems with Nissan Altima on the internet. On a 2005 2.5s there are over 400 Technical Service Bull (TSB). They do not back their products. They have people from the Phillipines trying to answer your questions, you cannot understand them. Never, Never, Never buy a Nissan Product

Best car I have ever owned.
By sheer on 03/01/14 10:51 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

It really is the best car I have ever owned! I basically just drive it. I bought from a friend six years ago with 50,000 miles. Now I have 276,000 miles on it and all I have done is basic maintenance, struts, and one sensor. It never breaks down. The motor still runs smooth. It's still peppy, though I don't push it like I did when I first bought it. I expect to see well over 300K miles out of this one.

9-year Review
By romans10nine on 01/12/14 19:08 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S, White with Black interior, 5-speed manual. Purchased new in October, 2004. Current mileage: 68,000. I have only needed one repair, and that was a crankshaft positioning sensor, which was discovered by the service engine light coming on. I have used Mobile 1 full synthetic from the beginning. The car literally drives like new.

2005 Altima SE V6 270,000 Miles and counting
By frank1981 on 08/25/13 17:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

What can I say, My Altima has given the best run! It has had only one problem, Alternator gave in during its first 30,000 miles and was under warranty. For the first 3 years I drove about 30,000 a year. Then I slowed down, drove about 20,000 after that lol Amazing vehicle ! No major problems. I have done tune ups as needed, purchase tires, oils changes & other basic needs.

Not really a bad car
By dcmajesty on 08/06/13 01:33 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

i have a 2005 altima v6 se model i mus say overall its okay needs minor work such as alignment, struts, brake system etc , just small things but can be pricey, its lasted me quite a while, the design is quite nice i get alot of compliments not like other altimas i gave it a custom paint job got creative and just modified the current hid system from the factory and added some after market bulbs. threw some 18 factory 350 z rims same bolt pattern as alitima fit like champ , painted those black , it really makes the car stick out , i just gotta gut the exhaust system the one from the factory really sux , i think modifying the engine jus a tad and overall suspension this car will go!!

AVOID THE 2.5L, You'll love the 3.5L
By caseyh1 on 01/30/13 11:14 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Nissan quality has went down hill since the 90's. The 2002 -2005 2.5L commonly has the head gasket go bad, before 100k miles. Mine went at 98k miles. If you pay someone it will cost you $1,600. Also it is possible that the forward catalytic converter will go bad, blow debris into your cylinders, and ruin them. WIth cloth seats, the drivers seat is rock hard. The seat doesn't support my thighs, causes pain. The Altima is supposed to ride stiffer and sportier than other cars, but on a really bumpy road it is just torture. The throttle is touchy it just lurches forward in stop and go traffic, I have to put the automatic into 1st or 2nd so I don't get whiplash. Wind noise on sunroof.

The last Nissan I will ever own.
By jalaniz4116 on 01/08/13 14:57 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Nissan Altima new, and it has been a big burden. I had the car for a month when the transmission went out. I wish I was joking. The dealership took care of the problem pretty promptly. The Cam-shaft sensors went out, so the car would just stop on me at a low rates of speed. As one could imagine, it was not very safe due to that reason. I have had to replace 3 alternators. 3 of them!!!!!! I have had to replace all the motor mounts & the breaks way too often. After a year, I never felt safe in taking the Altima out of town.

8 years old, 148,000 miles, still happy
By ronrn on 12/26/12 23:28 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5SE was the first NEW car I ever purchased, having only purchased used cars before. I have been very pleased with the car. I now have around 148,000 miles on the car and it is still running strong. I have not had any major problems. I have gone through the original set of tires and replaced the tires twice and need to go get new tires again. I first needed the rear brake pads changed at around 100,000 miles. The front pads needed changing for the first time at about 130,000 miles. I'm not sure how long I'll continue driving this before buying a new vehicle; earlier this year we replaced my wife's car with 2013 Ford Explorer (fully loaded Limited), happy with it too.

Expensive but fun.
By seth16 on 11/25/12 15:05 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car for about a year now. I have both ups & downs with it. First of all, it is a extremely fun car to drive...the 3.5L engine is amazing, very powerful. Faster then most sports cars under $30,000. The interior overall is good, the seats are soft and comfy. It IS NOT squishy in the back, lots of leg room. Only flaws are the knobs, they seem very big and bulky. The ride is smooth when going fast, but when going slow it feels rough in general. I think the car is very good looking, has a sport look too it. I have put around $3,000 in the car for repairs in the last year. ABS brakes were broken, steering problems, new battery & O2 sensors. NO engine problems yet.