Used 2005 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Few issues but overall solid
By Scott Swindells

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased this as my first new car out of college in July 2005. It's had a few minor issues but overall has been a solid vehicle. I only expected to keep it for 5 years, but now i'm planning to drive it until it's dead. It had 2 issues brand new from the factory, both warranty repairs, but both left lasting impressions on me. First, one of the rear tail lights wasn't plugged in. Didn't know for a couple months until leaving a bar one night a coworker called me in a panic and said you better get off the road you have a bad tail light! Took it to the dealer and they were like wow it wasn't plugged in all the way and some pins were vent. The other issue was also terrifying. If i was making a right turn with my blinker on, as i'd exit the turn the blinker would click off, and so would my head lights. Took a bit of jiggling to get it to come back on. Other than oil changes at ~6000 mile intervals I've only had minor repairs: 1. Crankshaft position sensor (as did everyone else with this car) at 60k 2. Serpentine belt at 90k 3. DIY Brakes and rotors at 90k (needed rotots at 50k though) 4. Front end inner tie rod at 150k 5. Front struts at 150k (needed them since 100k though) The car has really good interior quality. Nothing feels cheap. Leather is nice. Fabrics are nice. Bose is nice. Nothing is falling apart even at 10 years old. Good performance for a 4-cyl. Good gas mileage for a car of the era. The biggest negative about the car is road noise, both bumps and wind. After a highway trip i feel deaf.

Not So Ultimate Altima!
By Vincent

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This vehicle broke down two days out of the dealership with on 175 miles on it. Apparently there was a faulty sensor issue. The mpg meter will not register but, at last I could see it's estimates I was getting about 1-12 mpg. I then started smelling antifreeze leaking but the dealer could not find the leak. It was the top rail of the radiator seeping and, I had to pay twice to replace it out of warranty. The turning radius is very poor and, you cannot see the steering wheels controls at night. During the day you cannot see the Bose radio controls about high noon as the sun prevents it. I've replaced both steering arms, rear bearings, fixed a leak at the firewall causing water to come into the passenger side floor and, replaced the struts all this was around 90,000 miles. My car now is shutting off at will with codes P1283, PO726, PO797 and, the transmission will not go into fifth gear though serviced at 30,000 intervals. I am now at 127,000 miles and just replaced leaking defective valve covers(causing the oil to reach the plugs) $600.00. I just tuned it up and replaced the fuel injectors $786.00, just replaced the crank & cam shaft sensors, fuel air ratio valve, mass air flow sensor,(2) o2 sensors, all the ignition coils pack $1,400.00 and, I still have not got the car running as as stated it shuts off at will. I will NEVER own another Nissan as when they started making them in the USA, something is definitely wrong. They were excellent cars when made in Japan as I was with them since they were Datsuns.

The pain of loving a nightmare
By Sarah Elizabeth

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my nissan for 8 yrs and she ran smooth when all was proper but I was one of the unfortunate owners that ran into a bad catalytic converter. Common with this car 02-06. Started with a simple overheating issue. Once the water pump, radiator fans, and thermostat were all replaced it no longer overheated codes read bad crank/cam pos sensor, fuel ratio issue 0420. replaced the sensors, soon followed by a head gasket fix and new valve cover gaskets, played nice for a few months then started misfiring bad again out of nowhere because soon to be diagnosed bad catalytic converter. engine hasn't seized so time to take it apart again and see if it's worth fixing. Total Nightmare.

The car looks nice inside and out, although the outside is very breakable, Plexiglas. Interior is clean and spacey. Large trunk.

Own your mistakes nissan, So many Nissan owners have had this issue with the CAT/Gasket leak. Truly a shame because I've dumped a lot of money into this car maintaining and fixing it. got it at 9,000 and we're at about 160,000 I pray it has more life in it because I love it to death. Most likley the only Nissan I'll ever own though, I'll prob go back to Chevy

Totaled
By ijustdontknow

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had a 2005 Altima for about 2 1/2 years until it was just totaled in September. I loved this car. I had some issues but she would get up and go when I needed her too. I was having to replace some things but I had to remember she was almost 10 years old and had 208,000 miles... it was time. Not sure I would buy another nissan due to the fact during my wreck I received 2nd degree chemical burns from the airbag. I called the main number for Nissan to find out what chemicals in the airbag were, they had to call someone else to find out. A week later they called me back and said they couldn't give out that information to consumers. Really ??? Its a secret?? I went back to a Chevy..

Body style

Less issues

Very fun car. Reliability can be so-so though.
By ace340

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car used in 2009. I have the 3.5 SE trim with pretty much all available addons. This car is very fast and handles extremely well, its a slick car. Good interior too, although getting a little dated in 2014. Unfortunately my reliability has been so-so and I've had to shell out some expensive repairs. Timing chain, Two O2 sensors, Crankshaft positioning sensor, Catalytic converter (OUCH!). I have 86k miles too, mostly freeway driving. When this car is up and running its a blast to drive, but reliability can be really spotty sometimes. The car does rattle sometimes too when driving, but nothing too alarming with the music on.

Good looks, very strong acceleration, excellent handling, comfortable interior, roomy!

MPG could be a little better, I get about 25-27 MPG with VERY conservative highway driving. Requires premium gas for best performance. Reliability is suspect sometimes, some rattles in the interior, paint scratches and chips very easily.