Used 2005 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 487 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Beware!
By Nathan

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When test driving this car I thought it was peppy and cornered very well. After having it for 3 months I had to replace the camshaft sensors, ignition coil, and spark plugs. A month later I was told my catalytic converter was shot. Now that I've owned it for ten months i need to have the tie rods and power steering pump fixed. DO NOT BUY THIS P.O.S.!

Long lasting low maintenance
By Goxy

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

In 2004 bought 2005 model and during these 11 years and 195,000 miles did one tune-up, changed oil, filter, tires, breaks, and battery. In addition, I own 2010 Maxima and 2011 Altima. Comparing to my friend's cars, Nissan is a way better than any other one.

200k and going strong
By MishaBella

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used and have had it for the last 6 years. I haven't been the best with maintenance on the car, and I think that's important to note. I regularly went 7-10k miles before an oil change. The car has over 200k miles and has had very few issues. Engine mounts have been replaced, ignition coil, rotors and wheel bearings... The only irritation I've had is with the headlights. They have been replaced more than I would have expected and they get very cloudy. Otherwise this car is Ah maze ing! Amazing... My son and I took a road trip from Cali to Arizona and back (where it turned over 200k) and the car was completely reliable. We were comfortable and had fun driving fast and without caution to the age and mileage. The head unit and rear speakers were upgraded for current technology. My son is excited to have this car as a sophomore in college when I get a new one. We also own an Xterra... Oh should note the interior space is better than most midsize suv. Our family is much more comfy in the Altima then some suv's we've rented, way more space then the Xterra.

Few issues but overall solid
By Scott Swindells

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased this as my first new car out of college in July 2005. It's had a few minor issues but overall has been a solid vehicle. I only expected to keep it for 5 years, but now i'm planning to drive it until it's dead.

It had 2 issues brand new from the factory, both warranty repairs, but both left lasting impressions on me. First, one of the rear tail lights wasn't plugged in. Didn't know for a couple months until leaving a bar one night a coworker called me in a panic and said you better get off the road you have a bad tail light! Took it to the dealer and they were like wow it wasn't plugged in all the way and some pins were vent. The other issue was also terrifying. If i was making a right turn with my blinker on, as i'd exit the turn the blinker would click off, and so would my head lights. Took a bit of jiggling to get it to come back on.

Other than oil changes at ~6000 mile intervals I've only had minor repairs:
1. Crankshaft position sensor (as did everyone else with this car) at 60k
2. Serpentine belt at 90k
3. DIY Brakes and rotors at 90k (needed rotots at 50k though)
4. Front end inner tie rod at 150k
5. Front struts at 150k (needed them since 100k though)

The car has really good interior quality. Nothing feels cheap. Leather is nice. Fabrics are nice. Bose is nice. Nothing is falling apart even at 10 years old.

Good performance for a 4-cyl. Good gas mileage for a car of the era.

The biggest negative about the car is road noise, both bumps and wind. After a highway trip i feel deaf.

Not So Ultimate Altima!
By Vincent

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This vehicle broke down two days out of the dealership with on 175 miles on it. Apparently there was a faulty sensor issue. The mpg meter will not register but, at last I could see it's estimates I was getting about 1-12 mpg. I then started smelling antifreeze leaking but the dealer could not find the leak. It was the top rail of the radiator seeping and, I had to pay twice to replace it out of warranty. The turning radius is very poor and, you cannot see the steering wheels controls at night. During the day you cannot see the Bose radio controls about high noon as the sun prevents it. I've replaced both steering arms, rear bearings, fixed a leak at the firewall causing water to come into the passenger side floor and, replaced the struts all this was around 90,000 miles. My car now is shutting off at will with codes P1283, PO726, PO797 and, the transmission will not go into fifth gear though serviced at 30,000 intervals. I am now at 127,000 miles and just replaced leaking defective valve covers(causing the oil to reach the plugs) $600.00. I just tuned it up and replaced the fuel injectors $786.00, just replaced the crank & cam shaft sensors, fuel air ratio valve, mass air flow sensor,(2) o2 sensors, all the ignition coils pack $1,400.00 and, I still have not got the car running as as stated it shuts off at will. I will NEVER own another Nissan as when they started making them in the USA, something is definitely wrong. They were excellent cars when made in Japan as I was with them since they were Datsuns.