Used 2004 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Best Of All of Them
By john

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm in my 60s and for all the cars I have bought and driven over the years from Chevys, Fords and other imports, this car is the best of the breed. It's comfortable, it's fun to drive and very very reliable. If I had enough money I would buy one for every day of the week.

Favorite Features

Leather seats that are heated. Road course handling, great power even for a four cylinder. Very quiet interior.

Suggested Improvements

None, it's a great car.

Worst Car
By Otis Lee Singleton

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The only good experience with this car is when I first bought It. The Keys Deactivated with no one at Nissan able to tell me why but charged to reset them. The exhaust manifold cracked and had to be replaced which they did but not before engine developed a valve noise that they would not help. The driverside window motor went out. The sunroof opens and closes on it's own. The interior is cheaply built, the visors and cup holders have broken or screws are falling out. Exhaust donut gasket went out. With all these problems along with a couple factory recalls led me to never to want another Nissan because even contacting Corporate they would not help.

Favorite Features

Exterior Look

Suggested Improvements

Improve on interior quality and build a better engine. My engine needs to be replaced according to Nissan dealer.

fuel mileage poor 4 cyl like v6
By d gussie

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

just got car, has 25000 miles. drove 1000 got 22.5 mpg city &29 hwy. my 95 avalon v6 gets better at 24/31mpg. like style, sound, hot seats and all the toys. watch the gear shift, its tricky to work. also, don't lose your keys, they are dealer only item @ 128.00 ouch. two recalls cost 775.00 paid by nissan. so far so good. got agreat price 12.5m good value hope i don't have too much mechanical problems

Favorite Features

heated seats, sound system, looks great, nice power

Suggested Improvements

accurate fuel mileage mpg readings. mine is 2 mpg poorer that the gauge.shift stick is hard to work

Not Happy!
By Dawn

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2004 Nissan Altima in June of 2005. September of '05 the fuel pump went out on it and was supposedly fixed and covered under my warranty. My car had to be towed to the dealership. In May of '06, I had a transmission fluid leak which took 4 trips into the dealership for them to find exactly where the leak was. This was also covered under my warranty. Now, 1 1/2 weeks ago, my car failed to start again. Once the dealership checked it out, they stated it was the crank position sensor. This is not covered by my warranty and it's going to cost us $140. I am so unhappy with Nissan and have called the Nissan customer service to request they pay for the problem, they won't return my calls.

Favorite Features

Exterior design

Suggested Improvements

In my opinion, everything that makes the car run!

Love/Hate this car
By Suzy04

2004 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

For the most part, I love this car. I have owned it for about 18 months. I use my '94 Camry for the daily drive to work. This car is used on weekends and traveling. In town, the road noise is okay. On the interstate, sometimes it is terrible. My sister and I were shouting at one another on one stretch of Interstate. It is a beautiful car. I get lots of compliments on it. It is a comfortable ride--much more so than the Camry. It is also fun to drive but sometimes seems "big" to turn and park. Only maintenance so far. The one problem I have had is when I have a passenger. Two different people have knocked the shift out of drive--both times it was pretty scarey.

Favorite Features

The sound system and the heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Put a button to push in to shift.