Used 2004 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 178 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Lemon!!
By Fred

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

For the first year or so, this car was the best thing I had ever driven. It looks great inside & out, it's very powerful for a 4-cylinder, and it's pretty good on gas. Then the problems started happening... having to replace a steering joint, numerous brake work, engine cover coming undone, sensors out of whack, you name it. I am extremely meticulous when it comes to servicing my car, which is why I don't understand why all these problems kept coming up. And the car just turned 5 years old, with just about 100,000 kms only. This car has become a nuisance - I will never buy another Nissan, and I'm now hoping I can sell it or that it gets stolen. Seriously.

Sound system & heated seats.

Build a better car rather than focusing on looks & style.

GREAT CAR
By Tim

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 Nissan 2.5Sl new, and have loved driving this car. Only issues I've EVER had are typical brakes, tires, battery, etc. I now have 105,000, and it still runs like new.

Appearance, interior comfort and fun to drive

Gear shift is a little difficult on the automatic sometimes.

Great Car, Buy a Camry !
By MikeB

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I have an 04 and an 05, both 2.5S models. The 05 has held up pretty good so far, only having to replace an O2 sensor but the 04 is rubbish. Brakes are bad and need replaced often, had an O2 replaced, radiator/AC fans, rotors, rattles and noises. There is a rattle coming from the engine compartment. Check engine just came back on, again. Code P0420, catalytic converter. Warranty goes out after 80K on cat convts and after that you're on your own. $950 to fix +engine may be compromised. I really like the car when it's parked. I'm scared to drive it. Lucky me I own an 03 Corolla which never lets me down. Absolutely no problems. If you like having car problems a lot get an Altima !

Roomy interior and trunk, OK sound system.

Everything except for the 2 things listed above.

Great Style and Bose sound system
By Rusty

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Altima new and have all the features of leather, sun roof, Bose sound (which is the best) ABS, side air bags, etc. I use it mostly for commuting and now have 105,000 miles on it. The mileage is great (28-30 mpg) for work and 32 mpg on longer trips. I've only had one problem about 6 months ago it wouldn't start once in a while and would quit while slowing down for a light. Nissan sent out recall at the same time which fixed the problem. My only complaint would be the poor quality material of the seat which started cracking about a year after the warranty expired. Also the automatic shifting is like working a rubic cube.

Styling, gas mileage, and Bose sound system

Improve quality of interior leather seat material and make it easier to shift the car into and out of drive and park.

Wish I bought a Honda
By Shea

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the first car I have ever bought by myself and needless to say I am not impressed. I did buy it used, but the dealership insisted it was in great condition. There is a rattle in the door that after 3 trys from the dealership isn't fixed. Within 2 weeks of owning it my battery exploded. I have spent 1200 on the front and they then told me my engine mount was broke, the belts are all cracking, the radiator house is leaking etc. The finishing on the woodgrain has peeled. When my brake pads got low there was no warning went straight to grinding which resulted in more damage. Now I'm without a car again because the fuel pump. I'm a college student without money & now a unreliable vehicle.