2004 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
A thing for Altimas
By RJones on 11/10/07 12:39 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my 2nd Altima. I had a '95 that I bought used in '96, kept it until '05 (160k miles) when I bought my 2nd one (also used). These cars definitely seem to have problems w/the O2 sensors (both of mine did), but overall are reliable. Unfortunately, I just totalled my 2nd one (at 73k miles) so I am off this weekend to by another :(

Best Of All of Them
By john on 05/03/07 10:47 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm in my 60s and for all the cars I have bought and driven over the years from Chevys, Fords and other imports, this car is the best of the breed. It's comfortable, it's fun to drive and very very reliable. If I had enough money I would buy one for every day of the week.

Worst Car
By Otis Lee Singleton on 03/28/07 06:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The only good experience with this car is when I first bought It. The Keys Deactivated with no one at Nissan able to tell me why but charged to reset them. The exhaust manifold cracked and had to be replaced which they did but not before engine developed a valve noise that they would not help. The driverside window motor went out. The sunroof opens and closes on it's own. The interior is cheaply built, the visors and cup holders have broken or screws are falling out. Exhaust donut gasket went out. With all these problems along with a couple factory recalls led me to never to want another Nissan because even contacting Corporate they would not help.

fuel mileage poor 4 cyl like v6
By d gussie on 02/06/07 17:05 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

just got car, has 25000 miles. drove 1000 got 22.5 mpg city &29 hwy. my 95 avalon v6 gets better at 24/31mpg. like style, sound, hot seats and all the toys. watch the gear shift, its tricky to work. also, don't lose your keys, they are dealer only item @ 128.00 ouch. two recalls cost 775.00 paid by nissan. so far so good. got agreat price 12.5m good value hope i don't have too much mechanical problems

Not Happy!
By Dawn on 10/24/06 09:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2004 Nissan Altima in June of 2005. September of '05 the fuel pump went out on it and was supposedly fixed and covered under my warranty. My car had to be towed to the dealership. In May of '06, I had a transmission fluid leak which took 4 trips into the dealership for them to find exactly where the leak was. This was also covered under my warranty. Now, 1 1/2 weeks ago, my car failed to start again. Once the dealership checked it out, they stated it was the crank position sensor. This is not covered by my warranty and it's going to cost us $140. I am so unhappy with Nissan and have called the Nissan customer service to request they pay for the problem, they won't return my calls.

Love/Hate this car
By Suzy04 on 07/18/06 14:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

For the most part, I love this car. I have owned it for about 18 months. I use my '94 Camry for the daily drive to work. This car is used on weekends and traveling. In town, the road noise is okay. On the interstate, sometimes it is terrible. My sister and I were shouting at one another on one stretch of Interstate. It is a beautiful car. I get lots of compliments on it. It is a comfortable ride--much more so than the Camry. It is also fun to drive but sometimes seems "big" to turn and park. Only maintenance so far. The one problem I have had is when I have a passenger. Two different people have knocked the shift out of drive--both times it was pretty scarey.

Great car - only a few problems
By Jamie on 06/24/06 10:15 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, I really like the car. I've had to put it in the shop for failure to start, CAM sensor, and O2 sensor problems. I did NOT enjoy that part of owning the car. I've spent about $550 in repairs in 2 years. I just past $70,000 miles. I guess that's not so bad...

40,000 Lemon
By TonyM on 06/19/06 09:25 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was a great car 'til it hit 40,000 miles. Now I have problems that the dealer can't fix. The car shakes and vibrates then kills. The check engine light comes on. The dealer checked the computer and changes sensors at $250 a pop and the car runs good for a day than the problems start over. This is my first and last Nissan!!!!!!

Be warned
By snicky on 04/05/06 14:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had so many problems with this car. It doesn't start some mornings, they tell me this is normal. I also am not getting good gas mileage whatsoever. I cannot believe that people are having good luck with this car, I have had nothing but problems.

my altima
By charles jacobsen on 01/31/06 13:01 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

car has outstanding power, good handling, and decent fuel mileage,interior could use more style, but bucket seats are very comfortable and supportive. best car i have owned in years!