Used 2004 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 179 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Nice
By james

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Just got this car, it looks nice on the outside, just a little generic. drives smooth, overall a decent car. bought mine used with less than 100k miles on it for about $8000 plus tax. i wanted a Honda but i couldn't find out and was in a hurry to get a car. overall I'm happy with the car. i got the S model, automatic, sedan.

the feel of driving it is nice, also all the space inside. has a lot of power for a sedan.

the car is almost too big, making it hard to see out the back. too much of the interior is cloth making it look older much faster. the fuel economy could be better.

Durable so far
By Louis Desjardins

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought used with 36,000 miles on it. Well built, feels solid, durable. I drive 30,000 miles per year, mostly highway miles. Brakes were the only ''outstanding glitch"" as the rotors do not seem well built.

Comfort of ride, fuel economy, durability

Stronger shocks and springs. Better built rotors.

What's going on?
By Pat Clarkin

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

2004 2.5 automatic bought 2/2004; 106,000 99% hgwy miles; excellent maintenance; 1 driver only. Within six months of purchase, 1 piston not firing fixed under warranty--told I was LUCKY!); replaced serpentine belt (3 yrs); hesitating 4 1/2 yrs ($1500. to fix); now, oil leaking into engine, told I need a NEW ENGINE! My 3rd Altima, other two (standard, 95 & 98, no problems at all. THIS CAR A MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT.

I can't even think about that.

Let's get some QUALITY back into what used to be a fantastic car!

Perfect Car
By Nancy

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in highschool when I was 17. I bought it brand new. It has been 5 years & I still have it & still runs like new! The only problems that I did had was twice that the car turned off by itself but that was the time I had received a letter of recalls.... I sent it back twice to get it fixed for the recalls & haven't had any trouble since! Of course I have followed most of the maintenance that states on the manual & until now I have had no trouble at all with my car! My car now has over 100,000 miles & its still running! I am hoping it lasts me another 100,000 miles! It is a reliable, spacious & good looking car! I would not have kept it for so long if it wasn't!

great on gas!

none

Good car, but beware of a few issues
By Jersey

2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am the original owner of a 2004 Altima I purchased in 2003. It's a fun to drive car and has adequate head/legroom for tall drivers (as long as there is no sunroof). Acceleration and handling are very good and I generally get 23 mpg from daily driving. My biggest issues have been the following: Nissan dealerships are not good at diagnosing/fixing problems (I've used several dealerships with similar results), car won't start after you turn car on/off quickly in cold weather (This is a known "cold start" issue that, based on my experience, Nissan generally does not acknowledge/fix), parts can be expensive. While I enjoy driving the car, my experiences with Nissan are often disappointing.

Handling, acceleration (for a 4- cylinder engine), gas mileage, headroom/legroom, styling, interior/trunk space, telescopic steering wheel.

Better quality cloth seats with improved lumbar support, reduce interior road/engine noise, vastly improve quality of dealership service, better quality interior plastics, correct "cold start" problem.